• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention Holster When OCing?

polishnightmare

imported post

How many people when open carrying don't use some type of retention holster?

How many people do usesome type of retention holster? If so what kind do you use?

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
imported post

I use a Blackhawk Serpa for my 1911.

blackhawk-413503bk-r-blackhawk-serpa-sportster-holster-right-1911-gov-18653big.jpg

scot623

imported post

For my S&W Sigma 9mm, my first holster was a non-retention Fobus paddle. I upgraded to a Blackhawk Serpa level 2. For being out in public, especially crowds, I feel retention is important. Its' amazing how much safer you'll feel when you have retention.

manicdevery

imported post

Blackhawk serpa for Glock 23. keep in mind that serpas are not nice for your finish on your gun, but as long as you carry for protection reliability should be more important. not looks.

Devery

Bronson

imported post

I have done and do both. When I'm primarily CCing (winter) is use an OWB leather, open top holster. This means that if my jacket comes off I am now OCing with a non-retention holster. I don't like retention when I'm CCing because I have enough to deal with by having to handle the cover garment.

When the weather is warmer and I am primarily OCing I use a retention holster. Currently it's a Blackhawk Serpa but I'll probably transition to leather w/retention strap as soon as I get off my butt and make myselfa couple:p

Bronson

DanM

imported post

I've hadpassive (Fobus)andactive retention holsters, and with the active retention, I've had Blackhawk Serpa style and thumb-break holsters.

I preferactive retention with fastest deployment time, andBlackhawk Serpa fits the bill. Plus, they are reasonably priced.

Michigander

imported post

I like Safariland level 2 or 3 holsters, but I also spent 6 months in Phoenix OCing almost every day with an uncle mikes sidekick. Not the best idea, but Phoenix is pretty wide open, and if you just mind who is within a few feet of you, it's doable, but not the best idea.

In this oppressed suburban hell hole surrounding Detroit, I don't feel comfortable OCing without a good retention holster, particularly inside buildings or while walking down crowded streets.

Anyway, the point of my rant is that I suggest at least level 2 retention for all urban/suburban OCing.

sevenplusone

imported post

Most of my OCing isn't done in crowds, when it isn't I can keep track of everybody around me just with good situational awareness I stick with my daily open-top. I do have a retention holster for my hip or my shoulder holster w/retention if I'm on my motorcycle. Just depends on the situation.