• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ACTION ALERT! Constitutional Carry – Senate debate March 23rd.

azcdlfred

imported post

Your immediate action is needed to support SB 1108, the AzCDL-requested Constitutional Carry bill, which eliminates the prohibition and penalties for law-abiding adults who carry a concealed weapon without a permit.

We are expecting SB 1108 to be placed on the Senate Committee of the Whole (COW) agenda for March 23rd (tomorrow!). It is critical that you immediately contact your Senator and urge them to support SB 1108 during the COW debate. A letter is waiting to be sent by you at AzCDL’s Action Center.

On March 18th both Constitutional Carry bills (SB 1108 & HB 2347) were scheduled for debate in their respective chamber’s Committee of the Whole (COW). Both were pulled from the calendar to be rescheduled, for a very good reason. On March 17th the Governor’s staff requested some minor changes that they felt would improve the chance of Constitutional Carry becoming law. SB 1108 has now been rescheduled for COW debate tomorrow, March 23rd.

azcdlfred

imported post

Snakemathis wrote:
Are we aware of what the changes were? Anything drastic? And yes, I already sent my letter.
They governor's staff had no issue with Constitutional Carry. Theirissues were with the language about punishing bad guys for carrying concealed,the penalty for lying to a cop abouthaving a gun, and letting CCW permit holders carrying in public buildings.

Like I said Constitutional Carry is not an issue, so we're optimistic about what the governor will do when the bill gets to her desk. But first, we need to get it to her desk and that means tons of pressure on the legislature.

Fred

Thoreau

imported post

Sent and sent =)

Just wondering, in case I have missed it, but is there any way to automatically get an email notification myself when new items are in the system to be sent out like this? I visit this forum constantly and always keep an eye out for new alerts, but a more direct method might be handy to myself and others if it exists.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Thoreau wrote:
Sent and sent =)

Just wondering, in case I have missed it, but is there any way to automatically get an email notification myself when new items are in the system to be sent out like this? I visit this forum constantly and always keep an eye out for new alerts, but a more direct method might be handy to myself and others if it exists.
Join the AzCDL.

azcdlfred

imported post

Thoreau wrote:
Absolutely! AzCDL'smembers get notificiation via our Alerts before anyone else. You can join AzCDL here.

You can also find edited version of the Alerts on AzCDL's News page (but more than what you find here).

I only cross-post to this list when I have time and it's an issue that might be of interest.

Fred

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thoreau wrote:
Sent and sent =)

AZCDL is an excellent organization. If you live in Arizona and are concerned about rights, you should be a member.

GWbiker

imported post

Notso wrote:
Thoreau wrote:
Sent and sent =)

Just wondering, in case I have missed it, but is there any way to automatically get an email notification myself when new items are in the system to be sent out like this?  I visit this forum constantly and always keep an eye out for new alerts, but a more direct method might be handy to myself and others if it exists.
AZCDL is an excellent organization. If you live in Arizona and are concerned about rights, you should be a member.

+1. It's money well spent!

azcdlfred

imported post

FYI - SB 1108 passed out of the Senate COW this afternoon (3/23/10). We're hoping to see it calendared for Third Read as early as tomorrow.

Fred

Sonora Rebel

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
FYI - SB 1108 passed out of the Senate COW this afternoon (3/23/10). We're hoping to see it calendared for Third Read as early as tomorrow.

Fred
Then what? :uhoh:

azcdlfred

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
azcdlfred wrote:

Fred
Then what? :uhoh:

Third Read is a formal, recorded vote (no amendments can be added). Assuming it passes (we don't forsee any problems), it is sent over to the House where in most cases the process starts all over again. HOWEVER, we plan ahead! Since HB 2347 is the clone of SB 1108, HB 2347, which has already survived the committee process, will be amended in the House COW to be identical to SB 1108. At that point, all it takes is a House Third Read on either bill and, assuming it passes, the bill goes to the governor.Since the bills were tweaked to satisfy the govnernor's office, a signature is more likely to happen.

The next obstacle is the House. There are a lot morefence-sitters, but our men at the Capitol have been busy "working" the House. However, it will take committed activists topressure their Representives to remind them how to vote. No time for whining - only action.

This is how bills get passed. Forget all that crap you learned in high school civics.

Fred