• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

doonesbury cartoon OC and Starbucks

dukenukum

imported post

This kind of tripe is why I do not read the state journal or any paper for that matter
they wine and cry when I exercise my 2nd amendment rights but don't you dare touch their 1st amendment rights. OINK rights for us but not for you OINK.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Admittedly, though, this could have been far more insulting than it is.

Actually, the last panel is sort of comical.

Plus, like wrightme mentioned... OC made Doonesbury. This is a sign of momentum right?

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

Forget it, let them lampoon and caricature us OC’ers for now; the larger battle that is being won (which was also evinced in the comic) is that regular citizens OC’ing in everyday establishments like Starbucks is commonplace and is to be met with a rather blasé reaction. I see this comic as an auspicious augur of the tide turning in our favor.

:celebrate

kyleplusitunes

imported post

just curious if this is a comic strip from like one of those ancient things they used to call newspapers? if so I wasn't aware people still read them, or mainstream propaganda machines at all for that matter? I'll cross my fingers and wait for the former to go bankrupt faster

Taurus850CIA

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
OH, but it didn't stop there.....

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
I wouldn't worry too much. It's written by, and about, people who have no idea what the true meaning and application of freedom is. Maybe someday they'll have reason to rethink the idea.

hopnpop

imported post

wolverine1856 wrote:
We can carry in a saloon?

Only with a CPL and only openly. No concealing (period) if the establishment sells alcohol for consumption on its premises. Only way to carry in "saloon" or bar is with CPL, openly.

Also, I've been wondering from the get-go, why Starbucks was singled out for complying with state statutes, when that's the case for maybe 90% of businesses? Beaner's...oops, I mean Biggby allows carry, Barnes & Noble allows carry.... what did they do, just pick a random business and decide to make it a center for gun debate? I feel bad for Starbucks for coming under fire for doing what almost all businesses do regarding gun laws/carry.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

...probably because they're the only ones who issued a press release regarding the matter. And because a specific incident [don't have the info on hand] at Starbucks was the focus of some debate.

...as a side note, my sister works there so I OCed there anyway. Not like she's gonna kick me out or anything. :lol:

wolverine1856

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
wolverine1856 wrote:

Only with a CPL and only openly. No concealing (period) if the establishment sells alcohol for consumption on its premises. Only way to carry in "saloon" or bar is with CPL, openly.

Also, I've been wondering from the get-go, why Starbucks was singled out for complying with state statutes, when that's the case for maybe 90% of businesses? Beaner's...oops, I mean Biggby allows carry, Barnes & Noble allows carry.... what did they do, just pick a random business and decide to make it a center for gun debate? I feel bad for Starbucks for coming under fire for doing what almost all businesses do regarding gun laws/carry.

It was a statement in jest because these jokers really like to propagate the stereotype they have built up in their head. I was poking fun because they would have no idea about the OC with a CPL rules.

On the bold part that is not entirely true. You can CC in an establishment that serves as long asthe majorityof sales do not come from alcohol (ie fridays, applebees, etc.).

hopnpop

imported post

wolverine1856 wrote:
wolverine1856 wrote:
It was a statement in jest because these jokers really like to propagate the stereotype they have built up in their head. I was poking fun because they would have no idea about the OC with a CPL rules.
Sorry, didn't catch to jest, I'm with ya now. I am truly sick of seeing junk like these comics, painting anyone who carries as some backwoods hickerbilly whatever. Talk about inaccurate stereotypes. Oh well, anything that makes them feel better about themselves.