• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Favorite concealed carry rig?

tricityguy

imported post

I've got a hankering for a new CC gun. My OC rig is a Springfield XD-9 Tactical, crimson trace grips and a Blackhawk Serpa holster. A great rig and my non-rifle weapon of choice if something goes down. Downsides are the size and weight. Difficult to conceal on my small frame and really pulls on my waistband. Not comfortable to wear for very long.

Current CC gun is a Beretta Tomcat .32, also with crimson trace grips. I like the gun but feel it is a poor primary weapon. Makes a great BUG but I feel vulnerable when CCing it as my only weapon. Mostly an up close and personal "Saturday Night Special" with limited stopping force.

So I'm in the market. Need something concealable and convenient, easy to draw and holster, reliable and powerful enough to stop most typical threats. Something you're comfortable carrying as a primary for hours on end. Highly prefer firearms with available crimson trace grips.

So, what do you CC and why? Or, what do you recommend?

killchain

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
I've got a hankering for a new CC gun. My OC rig is a Springfield XD-9 Tactical, crimson trace grips and a Blackhawk Serpa holster. A great rig and my non-rifle weapon of choice if something goes down. Downsides are the size and weight. Difficult to conceal on my small frame and really pulls on my waistband. Not comfortable to wear for very long.

Current CC gun is a Beretta Tomcat .32, also with crimson trace grips. I like the gun but feel it is a poor primary weapon. Makes a great BUG but I feel vulnerable when CCing it as my only weapon. Mostly an up close and personal "Saturday Night Special" with limited stopping force.

So I'm in the market. Need something concealable and convenient, easy to draw and holster, reliable and powerful enough to stop most typical threats. Something you're comfortable carrying as a primary for hours on end. Highly prefer firearms with available crimson trace grips.

I have been carrying a Kel-Tec P3AT. Essentially the same as a Ruger LCP, with some minor differences.

EDIT: The LCP has a Crimson Trace system available.

Accurate pistol for what it is, which is a mouse gun. I'm not driving nails like with my OC piece, my FNP45, but it will shoot a good enough group to defend yourself at 7m.

I pack it around in a DeSantis Nemesis holster in my front right pocket: http://www.lipseys.com/eImages/DSN38.jpg

It's a 7-shot .380, and my Dad said it best:

"Yeah, it may be a .380, but I have it all of the time, when you're debating stuffing that .45 in your belt."

And since you're in the Tri-Cities, Hole in the Wall has a used one for sale right now. If you asked nicely, they might let you test shoot it. I believe they have an LCP for rent as well. :)

amzbrady

imported post

I OC and CC same rig. Taurus PT111 Millineum Pro 12+1 3 1/4" barrel. I'm short and found this to be a good size for me to IWB conceal. I would rather be taller and able to conceala 45 with over 4" barrel.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

tricityguy wrote:

Why not go with an XD Sub-Compact in your caliber of choice, I use a leather IWB holster (more comfortable) and a Com-Tac CTAC Holster.

Just add the Pearce Extension Grip so that pinky has something to grab.

I am considering the Minotaur MTAC Holster for my next choice in an IWB.

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

I really like my Kel-tec PF-9. It is very thin, shoots 9mm, and it has been very reliable for me. I have the hard chrome version and I carry in a Minotaur MTAC holster. Very comfortable. Standing (not rest), I can put 8 rounds into about 2.5" at 8 yards.

I don't know much about laser options for this gun.

Hammer

imported post

I have a Glock 29 for CC, which I find small enough to conceal- I have carried it in my ankle holster, tho not comfortably- and when I carry an ultra-deep BUG a Beretta Tomcat 22 LR.
Y'know more people are killed with a .22 cal weapon than any other, don'cha?

Jayd1981

imported post

My concealed/backup gun is a Ruger LCP. Very compact, 6 rounds of .380, and I will have the crimson trace trigger guard for it tomorrow hopefully. It's surprisingly accurate for such a small pistol and I can stash it pretty much anywhere (i.e. ankle, back, pocket, ect.)

k.rollin

imported post

I won't be carrying until July, but until I get a new pistol, my CC setup is a full size M&P 40 in a CrossBreed QwikClip holster. I'm only 5'8" and 150 lbs, but when I've got this pair on just behind my hip, I can wear a fitted T-shirt and it won't print. Not my choice of clothing for CC, because it risks exposure too much, but I could do it.

DSC_0064.jpg

oneeyeross

imported post

My current weapon for concealed carry is a Bulgarian Makarov in an [font="Aruial, Arial Cyr, Helvetica"][size="-1"]Izhevsk (Holster Ltd).

[/size][/font]
[font="Aruial, Arial Cyr, Helvetica"][size="-1"]Soon, however, I will also be carrying a CZ vz 82, once I get the holster issue figured out. I will probably use a nylon pancake until I can buy a Ross....
[/size][/font]

amzbrady

imported post

k.rollin wrote:
I won't be carrying until July, but until I get a new pistol, my CC setup is a full size M&P 40 in a CrossBreed QwikClip holster. I'm only 5'8" and 150 lbs, but when I've got this pair on just behind my hip, I can wear a fitted T-shirt and it won't print. Not my choice of clothing for CC, because it risks exposure too much, but I could do it.

DSC_0064.jpg
Thats a goofy looking rig, post a pic so I can see how much of it show while your wearing it, dont cover it with a shirt, I just want to see how it looks while you carry. seems like it would be kinda floppy.

k.rollin

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
k.rollin wrote:
Thats a goofy looking rig, post a pic so I can see how much of it show while your wearing it, dont cover it with a shirt, I just want to see how it looks while you carry. seems like it would be kinda floppy.
It might look goofy, but when you got your pants on proper, it doesn't shift. I wear it all the time around the house, and occasionally out at the gravel pit when I'm shooting, so I can get accustomed to the added weight, practice my draw, etc. Here's a pic of it exposed while it's being worn:

DSC_0083-1.jpg

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

picture-2.png

Walther PPS! 9mm 6,7 or 8 round magazines.(or .40 with 5,6,7) Thinnest pistol around and super straight shooter(gogodaws has seem my group). I carry in a leather pancake or this
air_marshal_blank.jpg

Sorry, no Crimson Trace, though.

triehl27

imported post

Trevor,

Took me a minute to notice there was a gun in that last picture.

To the OP.

IWB Inside the waistband
OWB Outside or On the waistband.

for a concealed rig my recommendations usually run to Glock as I get the LE discount and have worked with them for 6 years now. Familiarity with weapon system.

SO maybe an XD compact in your choice of calibers or a Glock (simular system without the grip safety.

IWB,(variety of holsters) or OWB in a Kramer or Desantis Belt scabberd Holds really tight to the body.

Soft mouth IWB holsters that do not hold the holster open when empty are harder to holster the pistol in when it is on the person. I recommend a IWB that holds the mouth of the holster open when empty.

Also I myself find Kydex and othe plastic holsters hold moister from sweat and come out of the belt moist and icky, also like to try and avoid gathered moisture around my guns as much as possible especialy sweat, but that is me. Plastic also has no conformity to the body unlike Leather. I just find leather more comfortable.

I am not a fan of shoulder holsters as they require a large longer draw across the body. And you muzzle sweep anyone to the side or behind of you on the draw while you are hyped up on adrenaline and having to reach, degrading your fine motor skills. Ask your self is this something you want to do?

Nor of Ankle rigs as a primary weapon:, as they are time consuming to draw from and inconvenient in almost all cases.

Cross Draw: again you are reaching across the body and sweeping anyone to that side of you with the muzzle with in an adrenaline hyped state.

Finally SOB (Small of the back): in a struggle you can fall back and do a good injury to yourself landing on you own weapon... Once on your back your weapon for most reasons is now out of play underneath you. You land on your gun once and you'll never do it again. I know I won't (Broken coxyc(sp) and chipped vertebrae).

I usually recommend strong side carry. Belt, pocket, what ever works best.

For Me, 5'8" 195# Spare tire out front

4" Kimber .45acp Crimson Carry,
IWB with a "McDaniels II" holster from Andrews Leather. REALLY holds tight to the body. (Disappears pretty well)
OWB with a Safariland ALS 6378 Paddle. Comfortable, and same system as my duty holster. And a much better quality and mechanism then the Serpa.

OR a

Glock 17 9mm full size
OWB with a Desantis Belt Scabberd
IWB with a Vangard Trigger Holster or a Desantis IWB clip on.
Also a G22,23 26, and 27 ride in simular fashion.

G30 .45 and G29 10mm
OWB Safariland 703
IWB DeSantis Cozy Partner or older clip on model

Smaller guns
Kahr MK9
OWB with a Master Paddle holster made for the 3' 1911
IWB with MTAC from CompTac

Keltec P32.
Clip on Gun. U can hide it anywhere from your boot, to your pocket, to your belt, or even to the fly of your boxer shorts, or behind your head clipped to the neck of your shirt. (all places I have concealed it for one reason or another.)

Hey just imagine reaching in and drawing through your fly of your jeans in the face of a mugger... :celebrate

Hey and to anyone that wants to laugh at 32acp. I will accept your laughter graciously, if you will let me shoot you with it and then you can laugh all you want. If I can't shoot you with it, then it probably isn't something to laugh at is it?

killchain

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
k.rollin wrote:

DSC_0064.jpg
I have one of those for a full size Beretta 92FS. It's a great rig if you're carrying something large and need to shift it from time to time.

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

trofwa wrote:
Hey and to anyone that wants to laugh at 32acp. I will accept your laughter graciously, if you will let me shoot you with it and then you can laugh all you want. If I can't shoot you with it, then it probably isn't something to laugh at is it?
Oh please. That is the new test of whether a certain caliber is sufficient for self defense? ...if I will volunteer to be shot with it?

Other things I don't want to be hit with: BB gun, pebble out of a sling shot, rock thrown at me, fist, foot, baseball bat, and there are others.

Honestly, trofwa, most of your post was very good and constructive. For me, it fell apart at the very end :)

amzbrady

imported post

k.rollin wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
k.rollin wrote:
It might look goofy, but when you got your pants on proper, it doesn't shift. I wear it all the time around the house, and occasionally out at the gravel pit when I'm shooting, so I can get accustomed to the added weight, practice my draw, etc. Here's a pic of it exposed while it's being worn:
Not as I pictured it. The belt loop thingy looks different on than it does on the bed. looks like a pretty big setup. no pinching when sitting?

amzbrady

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
Walther PPS! 9mm 6,7 or 8 round magazines.(or .40 with 5,6,7) Thinnest pistol around and super straight shooter(gogodaws has seem my group). I carry in a leather pancake or this
air_marshal_blank.jpg

Sorry, no Crimson Trace, though.
Trevor, for some reason I pictured you differently...

k.rollin

imported post

It doesn't pinch me when I'm sitting, and I can still draw from a seated position with this rig too. Its plenty comfortable too; there's been a few times I've forgotten about it until I started jogging down the stairs to the mailbox and hear a loose round bouncing around in the magazine.