• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Courthouse

bwboley

Activist Member
So i sent a email to the sheriff sheriff@clark.wa.gov someone else replayed [mind you im not as good as joe on sending messages lol]
heres what i sent

Hello my name is Brad and on Sept 16 2010 I visited the Clark County
Courthouse and went to the east building west entrance to check my firearm in,
They were very rude and ask for my concealed permit even though i was open
carrying holsterd on my side, By law no id is required to check my fire arm,
Also they clearly went agaist state law RCW 9.41.300 By not handing me they key
to the lock box.
"In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary
locked box sufficient in size for pistols and keyto a weapon ownerfor weapon
storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping,
during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or
designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection
with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any
negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box
or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the
building."

When i was leaving and picking up my firearm they made the people i was with
leave the public building and go out side while he was saying how he thinks it
was wrong that i was able to put my side arm on when hes unarmed himself and he
would not do it around people.

heres the reply
Brad,

I'm sorry that you believed that you were treated rudely and if you could provide an estimated time that you visited the Courthouse on Sept. 16th, I may be able to talk to the screener which you encountered.

Regarding the firearms issue. You do have a right to open carry, under RCW 9.41.300 the courthouse is excluded. Also under this same RCW, the local judicial authority shall provide a means for persons to secure their weapon within the same building in which the restricted areas are located. The Clark County Sheriff's Office provides the required storage devices at the West Entrance of the Courthouse. This location is for persons to secure weapons who desire to enter the Courthouse, which is restricted from firearms consistent with State Law.

There is nothing stated in the law which states that we can or cannot ask persons for ID which we are storing their firearm. The law does state that the judicial authority is liable for those items. Since the Sheriff's Office is liable, I believe that we would be negligent if we didn't ask for ID. If for some reason the owner of the weapon forgot to retrieve their firearm, or in the case of some sort of an emergency which would not allow you to retrieve your firearm, we would need some method to ensure that the weapon was returned to the rightful owner.

Our policies have been reviewed by legal counsel and have been determined to be consistent with the provisions outlined in RCW 9.41.300.

Regarding the conduct of our contracted staff, if you can give me a time of your arrival and departure, that would enable us to discuss this matter with our staff.

If I can be of any further assistance, feel free to contact our office.

Commander Keith A. Kilian
Clark County Sheriff's Office
West Precinct
505 NW 179th Street
Ridgefield, WA.
Direct Line: 360-397-6080
Precinct Line: 360-397-6079
E-Mail: keith.kilian@clark.wa.gov

Last edited:

bwboley

Activist Member
i replyed
Well the big issue is that RCW 9.41.300 states that i get the key to the lock box witch they wouldnt let me have and gave me a token with number of lock box....and no i didnt say that law said you cant ask but if we dont give the person id they say to leave
please refer to video here this is basicly what they said to me about no id
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFF_hCfApIM

he replyed
Yes sir, that is correct. If you do not wish to furnish your ID to utilize the lock boxes that we provide which we are liable for the contents, then you don't use the lock box. That is a choice you make.

WHy does he keep skipping the part about how we get the key and not a token thing?

Stretch

What about if you are attending a court proceeding, for a friend let's say, without ID? Failure to provide ID means no lock box?

Just because they want ID doesn't mean they should make you provide ID. They're skirting the law, IMO.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So i sent a email to the sheriff sheriff@clark.wa.gov someone else replayed [mind you im not as good as joe on sending messages lol]
heres what i sent

Hello my name is Brad and on Sept 16 2010 I visited the Clark County
Courthouse and went to the east building west entrance to check my firearm in,
They were very rude and ask for my concealed permit even though i was open
carrying holsterd on my side, By law no id is required to check my fire arm,
Also they clearly went agaist state law RCW 9.41.300 By not handing me they key
to the lock box.
"In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary
locked box sufficient in size for pistols and keyto a weapon ownerfor weapon
storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping,
during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or
designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection
with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any
negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box
or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the
building."

When i was leaving and picking up my firearm they made the people i was with
leave the public building and go out side while he was saying how he thinks it
was wrong that i was able to put my side arm on when hes unarmed himself and he
would not do it around people.

heres the reply
Brad,

I'm sorry that you believed that you were treated rudely and if you could provide an estimated time that you visited the Courthouse on Sept. 16th, I may be able to talk to the screener which you encountered.

Regarding the firearms issue. You do have a right to open carry, under RCW 9.41.300 the courthouse is excluded. Also under this same RCW, the local judicial authority shall provide a means for persons to secure their weapon within the same building in which the restricted areas are located. The Clark County Sheriff's Office provides the required storage devices at the West Entrance of the Courthouse. This location is for persons to secure weapons who desire to enter the Courthouse, which is restricted from firearms consistent with State Law.

There is nothing stated in the law which states that we can or cannot ask persons for ID which we are storing their firearm. The law does state that the judicial authority is liable for those items. Since the Sheriff's Office is liable, I believe that we would be negligent if we didn't ask for ID. If for some reason the owner of the weapon forgot to retrieve their firearm, or in the case of some sort of an emergency which would not allow you to retrieve your firearm, we would need some method to ensure that the weapon was returned to the rightful owner.

Our policies have been reviewed by legal counsel and have been determined to be consistent with the provisions outlined in RCW 9.41.300.

Regarding the conduct of our contracted staff, if you can give me a time of your arrival and departure, that would enable us to discuss this matter with our staff.

If I can be of any further assistance, feel free to contact our office.

Commander Keith A. Kilian
Clark County Sheriff's Office
West Precinct
505 NW 179th Street
Ridgefield, WA.
Direct Line: 360-397-6080
Precinct Line: 360-397-6079
E-Mail: keith.kilian@clark.wa.gov

Same excuse different courthouse.
First, I would say that you need to approach the local legislative authority and have them purchase lockboxes so it can be done right.

Until then here is my suggestion. Carry no ID and no CPL. However, take a picture of your firearm and write down the serial number. Then inform (not ask) the officer that you will be following the law and in order to confirm the firearm is yours you have valid proof.

bwboley

Activist Member
Same excuse different courthouse.
First, I would say that you need to approach the local legislative authority and have them purchase lockboxes so it can be done right.

Until then here is my suggestion. Carry no ID and no CPL. However, take a picture of your firearm and write down the serial number. Then inform (not ask) the officer that you will be following the law and in order to confirm the firearm is yours you have valid proof.

they have like po box type lock boxes but they only give u a token with a number on it

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I will find out soon enough. The week after the Vancouver meet I will be attending the Kirby trial at the CC courthouse. I will be sterile and my aformentioned method of distinguishing my firearm will be used. It will be interesting.

1245A Defender

security!

i thought it would be a good idea to take a seal-able manila envelope to court,
then when you check in, you put it in, and lick the flap, so that they cant toy with it.
write your initials and the last 4 nos. of your ssn on that, and a piece of paper.
your paper is your receipt when you check out!

bwboley

Activist Member
I will find out soon enough. The week after the Vancouver meet I will be attending the Kirby trial at the CC courthouse. I will be sterile and my aformentioned method of distinguishing my firearm will be used. It will be interesting.

OK i will try and make this and try that als what time is it on the first?

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

There is nothing stated in the law which states that we can or cannot ask persons for ID which we are storing their firearm.

The law also does not say that they can't put the box at the top of a 20' pole and require people who wish to use it, to climb the pole.

I wonder if there is enough for a civil case....