Thread: What OC holster to use while riding a motorcycle?

Post imported post

I ride my motorcycle year round and often visit states that allow OC. I would like to OC in those states yet I do not want to take the chance of my pistol falling out as I am cruising down the road. My initial thoughts were either a IWB or a shoulder holster. I want to have the wpn secure and yet also readily available.

I am not prone to road rage, but would like to have my wpn available in case (as is normally the case) I become the target of some nut with a gun and no brains.

Post imported post

I have a tough time getting my fobus galco ?? holster off my belt, and it has a clip in, holster release mechanism (very strong hold).

I have a buddy who rides with a leather shoulder holster, logged 10's of thousands of miles just like that. He's the more experienced rider, but it's concealed (under his leathers).

Post imported post

I usually carry a S&W 686 in a Galco High Ride Holster with a thumb retention strap. It is a pain in the butt when putting chaps on though; my cell phone holster is also a pain. In nice weather without chaps it seems to be secure. I don't want to carry my 1911 in a non-thumb strap holster.

A shoulder holster is nice, I managed to get hold of a military issue one when I was in theMarineCorpsand carrying a .45 1911. Somehow I never turned it back into Supply when I retired as I found it the other day; but there are much better ones on the market now. I like the shoulder holster idea; I haven't thought of that.

If you are a Harley driver, and even if you aren't, here is a link to a site with all sorts of tips and discussion forums; there is a forum on gun issues, especially tips on carrying on motorcycles:

http://www.hdtalking.com/

Semper Fi!

Post imported post

I carry my 1911's, my Makarov, and my wife's K Frame S&W .357inFobus' when I'm on my bike. I've never had a problem. The form fit provides enough retention that it's not going anywhere and I can easily draw if and when required to. I carry my CZ-82 ina Czech military police holsterI bought,my S&W Sigma.40 in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick...both of those have thumb breaks for retention.

Post imported post

thanks! I'll check out all holsters advised and let you know what I go with.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

What do you ride? I ride a Goldwing, and have no trouble with my JBP Sleeping Dog convertible IWB/OWB holster on a leather belt. But on my bike I sit up very straight; I'm not leaning forward. I would imagine it's different on a sport bike.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

i wear a serpa. never had a problem, never worry about it falling out

Post imported post

I ride an '06Harley Dyna Super Glide and open carry often: S&W 686 in a Galco High Ride with thumb retention. The revolver is a workhorse and I figure it can take some dust and still be functional after a long ride.

Post imported post

I ride a 08' RoadKing and sit very straight in the saddle. After taking the "Ride Like A Pro Course" I also sit to the front of my seat as well.

Post imported post

I carry a glock in a serpa cqc on my bike, a 1600 vulcan classic with no problems. Open carry is legal where I ride though.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?