• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doonsbury Comic on Open Carry today

Cowboy8467

imported post

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, but this is the Doonesbury comic for today, March 22nd. I personally think it's kind of funny, even if it is poking fun a bit.

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/

doonesbury.gif

XD Owner

imported post

Hey, any publicity is good publicity.

At least the customer is smiling in the last panel and the barista is not flipping out over open carry.

Let's see what tomorrow brings!

You know, I hope Paul Helmke snorted a latté out his nose when he saw this morning cartoon in his paper!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

What would the commentary have been had the customer been a woman? Nahhh...I find this kind'a stuff rather snide.

eye95

imported post

Precisely the simplistic and uninformed stereotyping I have come to expect from Doonesbury. That's why I always skip that comic. The strip provides zero insight.

Pace

imported post

I think he makes fun of everyone equally :)

I personally think a lot of people carry firearms to "show off" but I'll protect their right to do so :)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Pace wrote:
I think he makes fun of everyone equally :)

I personally think a lot of people carry firearms to "show off" but I'll protect their right to do so :)

So do I. I see people carryin' a sidearm while wearin' flip-flops.

Yeah... that'll work. :banghead:

Pace

imported post

Hah!

My point is that people do things for lots of reasons. Some people buy sports cars because they love them, some people do it because they think it will get them chicks, some do it because of their ego. There are a lot of reasons people carry firearms, soooo what?

The debate in my mind has never been about the reasoning, but about the constitutionality. If people want to wear firearms because they need a gun to make them feel better, more power to them. I don't care.

SavageOne

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Precisely the simplistic and uninformed stereotyping I have come to expect from Doonesbury. That's why I always skip that comic. The strip provides zero insight.
Yeah, the Lockhorns Rule.

Michigander

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
What would the commentary have been had the customer been a woman? Nahhh...I find this kind'a stuff rather snide.
I think a lot of guys who don't carry are intimidated by women who do, because it makes them feel inadequate.

I think making the customer a woman could make for a much funnier comic.

The Wolfhound

imported post

Gee, the safety on my right handed pistol would be against my body with that carry. It would not be on display for the Barista to observe and comment upon. A properly holstered firearm does not constitute a threat to anyone. But heck, Doonesbury without an agenda might actually be funny. Can't have that happen in the "COMICS".:banghead: Any one else care to note the stereotypical middle aged white guy with a paunch? Any other class of people would be able to scream about it. Do you think any of that is accidental? If stereotypicical discrimination is wrong, then it is always wrong. Shame on Doonesbury.

OPS MARINE

imported post

The only safety for my weapon is my finger, so... I don't quite like that cartoon, although I know Doonesbury makes light of a lot of things. Not all press is good press, but this isn't as bad as it has been.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Checking the safety would require placing a hand on the gun. Not the thing you should be doing at a take-out counter. The whole premise is snide... The paunch (true enough these days... )'n sadly among men in thieir 20's, much less middle aged. But... nonetheless, I see it as a slam.

XD40coyote

imported post

The Baltimore Sun does put Doonesbury in the editoral section, I guess the sniveling nanny statist paper got something right for once.

I find the comic above to be a bitcondescending. Did he come here to research OC a little beforehand? Well at least the holster is correct, it is a thumb break= retention.

Also, it will be interesting to see if he stays with the theme all week. Maybe he will absolve himself with some women OCing and some parody directed at the Brady Bunch.

BTW there is a cartoon in Newsweek about OC/Starbucks. A man is going in and tells his wife to cover him. Neither are shown with guns.