• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC revolvers

JoeGlock40

imported post

ive seen alota poeple OC semi autos but not many revolvers...so anyone have a preference over one of the other and wut revolver do you carry if you do OC a wheeler? me i like toOC my Judge with 3" barrel 2.5" chamber in my serpa..but i also like to OC my glock 22 in my serpa also..just depends on wut side of town im in or going to

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

I prefer revolvers meself. Although if I can ever get my hands on a Smith and Wesson gold plated and engraved 1911 I may change my tune.

I carry a Uberti .45 LC on my right side, and a Colt Walker blackpowder on my left, butt-forward for left or right-handed draw. Both in western style holsters, no safety other than a thumb snap on the Uberti. My wife thinks it's overkill, I say it balances my gunbelt. With only one gun onit starts sagging and draggin' my pants down, which gets annoying fast.

I trust my revolvers way more than semi-autos, and I can hit anything with either of mine that anybody can hit with an auto. And if I run out of ammo, then I can just beat the bad guy to death with the Walker. Heavy old hunk of steel.

And to anyone with any beefs with revolvers or western rigs, here's two things:

Thing 1: I dress casually sophisticated, and I don't walk around with my trigger fingers a'twitchin, so don't say I'm a wannabe gunslinger.

Thing 2: If youthink somebody can take my guns becausemy holsters have no safeties... people have been carrying these guns this way a damn long time. I seriously doubt anyonecould even get their little finger onone of myguns before their looking down the barrel of the other. And if someone did manage to take my gun, I'd deserve to be shot.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

My main concern about revolvers is capacity. Secondly is size... particularly in the larger calibers. I like the Taurus Judge for self defense.... it's a close in gun and hardly suitable for the kind of 40' range that one of the video's floatin' around on the 'net exhibits. At 12' 'n closer... that thing will ruin your day. I blew a cow skull to smithereens with one round of 20 ga buckshot @ 8'... point shooting.

Aiming works for shootin' ranges... but in most situations, you won't have time for any of that.My wife has a .38 Charter Arms snubbie, but prefers the 9x18mmm Makarov (To which I've recently added Pierce rubber grips) due to it's fast cyclic rate. I've taught her to one handed 'point shoot' also.

Pretty as they are... SA revolvers are antiques. I have a Ruger Vaquero in .45LC but I'd no more carry that for self defense than drive a Model T on the I-10.It's a natural 'pointer' as are all the early Colts... but the disadvantages are obvious. The need for holster retention devices depends much on your environment and the presence of 'people', or if you intend to ride a horse.My SA rig has a rawhide loop that holds the hammer spur. It's a length of 'shoestring' that you can get in any drug store. SA's are safer for being 'taken'.... as most of these hoodles have no idea how a single action operates 'n will pull the trigger to no avail.

If/when I carry the SA... I carry cross draw 'cause it eliminates the need for a leg tie-down (strong side) to prevent the holster coming up with the pistol... and havin' the butt near into yer armpit before clearing leather.

JesseL

imported post

Ruger Blackhawk .41 Magnum, 4-5/8" barrel in leather by El Paso Saddlery.

OCatcarshow2.jpg
100_2089.jpg

*1911_man*

imported post

I got a Rossi 971, 357 mag in stainless, i have oc's it a couple times, and i feel underpowered, i dont like the 6 shot thing, and i honestly dont even like revolvers much

JesseL

imported post

A revolver (and especially a single action) may be antiquated, but it's still way more effective than harsh language or fists.

Normally I carry a modern plastic 9mm with 17+1 rounds on tap and 34 more readily available, but when I get a wild hair telling me to pack a revolver I'm still better armed than 99% of the sheep out there (and .41 Mag is nothing to sneeze at if 4 legged critters may be a concern).

Lew

imported post

I don't feel underpowered with 7 or 8 round 1911 magazines, so I would not mind a revolver. In fact, I really want one. I just can't find a nice one that I can afford right now :) I was planning on getting a DA/SA but those SAO are mighty purty. I've also been meaning to get a shotgun...damn decisions.

*1911_man*

imported post

Lew wrote:
I don't feel underpowered with 7 or 8 round 1911 magazines, so I would not mind a revolver.    In fact, I really want one.  I just can't find a nice one that I can afford right now :)  I was planning on getting a DA/SA but those SAO are mighty purty.  I've also been meaning to get a shotgun...damn decisions.

Id recommend rossi, taurus, or ruger, all make great revolvers at a good price. (200-400$)

JoeGlock40

imported post

Lew wrote:
I don't feel underpowered with 7 or 8 round 1911 magazines, so I would not mind a revolver. In fact, I really want one. I just can't find a nice one that I can afford right now :) I was planning on getting a DA/SA but those SAO are mighty purty. I've also been meaning to get a shotgun...damn decisions.
you could get a judge...its like a shotgun and revolver in one...only about 500 bux to start and can get them with lil barrels or 6 inch barrels..and you can shoot anything from 45longcolt to birdshot buckshot and slugs..but its kinda useless using slugs since their smaller in cal than a 45 lc and dont have that much velocity compared to a 45 lc since it doesnt fit tight in the barrel..i got judge and love it..it fun doin squirrel and rabbbit hunting with it

*1911_man*

imported post

a judge is only good for very close quarter combat, i really dont care for them, they are heavy, big and bulky, only have 5 shots, and if you use 000 buck they spread like crazy since the barrel is rifled and spreads them out.

JoeGlock40

imported post

it doesnt spread 2 much at about 7 yards with federal 4 pellet 000 buck the spread is about 3 inches...#4shot federal shells cover the torso at 7 yards..it isnt that heavy really..just alil bit more than my glock 22 loaded.. but for self defense you arent likely to shoot past 10 yards anyway..the 5 shot capacity kinda sucks but with 5 rounds of 4pellet 000 buck youd have 20 .32 cal pellets flying and with the spread you gota alot better chance of doin more damage under stress...thats just my thoughts tho

Lew

imported post

I've gone back and forth on whether or not I like the Judge. I guess I'd have to try one out to decide. My first impression is negative, but you never know until you try something!

I haven't seen any revolvers for sale in the $2-400 range. Maybe I need to look online? I guess I've also heard mixed reviews of both Rossi and Taurus.

american-kiwi

imported post

i carry 3 diff sidearms...mostly ruger P95PR...but the one that fits the best on my side is the 1911 with a blackhawk holster (very close to my side)...and then i also carry my S&W 629-1 .44 6inch with mag-na port..its a little heavy at times with 2 extra speed loaders...but people dont mess with me..lol...one look at that,and their gone..lol...by the way...im in Sierra Vista...very pro-gun city...never had any problems with a LEO...only one time with a DPS officer after midnight on the I10 did he ask me to hand my firearm over to him (in holster)...he was very nice and after checking my Tags..we chatted for a little while, handed back my 9mm...and said drive safe and have a good night

PS the 4th is my sig .22...waste of time carring that...just a cheap plinker

ISRAEL

imported post

I do O.C. a 44 magnum S&W stainless steel, I ownseveral guns, but the 44 is my baby, I made my own holsters and belts, and right now every gun I own had their own holster, all are westren style, my glock , Beretta,1911, etc look good in westren holsters, but my 44 is the one, I O.Cing in downtown Boise every friday, and saturday and sundayIO.C. at every place my wife takes me.I use my gun belt when I go to the mountains, here in town only the holster, .

Wheelgunner

imported post

I have a specially fitted out Smith and Wesson M29 I carry every day. Utterly reliable and powerful, denying the Enemy any cover.

If you feel that you need more cartridges that a 1911, may I point out for the same weight as a 1911 an 8 shot 357 magnum Smith is a superior cartridge and superior reliability.

See Below: