• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC revolvers

Dreamer

imported post

JoeGlock40 wrote:
it doesnt spread 2 much at about 7 yards with federal 4 pellet 000 buck the spread is about 3 inches...#4shot federal shells cover the torso at 7 yards..it isnt that heavy really..just alil bit more than my glock 22 loaded.. but for self defense you arent likely to shoot past 10 yards anyway..the 5 shot capacity kinda sucks but with 5 rounds of 4pellet 000 buck youd have 20 .32 cal pellets flying and with the spread you gota alot better chance of doin more damage under stress...thats just my thoughts tho

Most self-defense shootings occur at distances less than 15 feet. So your "7 yards" issue does not apply.

And besides, in most states, if you shoot an attacker at a distance GREATER than 7 yards, you're probably going to have a REALLY difficult time justifying it as being required to stop a clear and present threat...

groats

imported post

I carry a .38 Airweight. Not many shots, but I am more accurate with that than any of the other guns I own.
(You get extra points for putting the holes in the right place, ya know)

Lew

imported post

Well, I finally did it. Picked up my first revolver and I am in love. S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman. 4" .357 Blue and wood. circa 1975. I probably paid more than a more savvy buyer would, but whatever, I'm happy with it. The DA is super sweet and the SA is lighter than my 1911. I actually think I shot DA better, which surprised me. All in all, I was just blown away at the range. It was such a pleasant shooting experience. I'd post pictures, but I don't have a camera.

I always thought of myself as a 1911 guy, but I'm seeing more wheel guns in my future.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
I have a specially fitted out Smith and Wesson M29 I carry every day. Utterly reliable and powerful, denying the Enemy any cover.

If you feel that you need more cartridges that a 1911, may I point out for the same weight as a 1911 an 8 shot 357 magnum Smith is a superior cartridge and superior reliability.

I had a smith & wesson 327pc n frame revolver, 8 rounds of .357 magnum. Thetwo problems were velocity with the short barrel length and difficulty with .357 and the moon clips.It was an easy carry at 21 ounces.

armedshirthandgun.jpg

I'd rather carry a 6" 29 smith with 6 rounds of .44 magnumthan a 5" 1911 with 8 rounds of .45acp. Even better is a .460 or .500 smith revolver with a 8"barrel length like the one I'm wearing in the pic.

smith500wolfhounds.jpg

I have a couple of steel 3" k frame .357 magnums and a titanium airlite .38 special I carry as well.

Shell

imported post

S&W 637 snubnose .38 special is what I OC.

I think its small size might be nice when we finally get CC in WI :)

Batousaii

imported post

I carry a SA-Revolver on a regular basis, and yes i am 100% confident with it as a defensive firearm even in modern times. It launches Volkswagens out the barrel (255 grains @ 1100 fps). As mentioned before, most defense situations are within a few feet, and involve limited shots. After the first shot or two every ones either running away or laying around. fact is, people dont stand there launching rounds at each other for long, not like in video games. - Yes, i have (and still am) considering a small BUG, just incasethe zombies come. - i do use a .45 auto when i conceal, just more comfortable.

- It's not the arm you choose to use, but the skill you choose to employthat arm with.
;)Bat

230therapy

imported post

Most self-defense shootings occur at distances less than 15 feet. So your "7 yards" issue does not apply.

And besides, in most states, if you shoot an attacker at a distance GREATER than 7 yards, you're probably going to have a REALLY difficult time justifying it as being required to stop a clear and present threat...
This is wrong and badly thought out in so many ways.

Wow...just...wow.

Careful with the Taurus Judge. Make darn sure it's reliable. I've fired two different guns and both jammed up on me with 410 shells. Both also functioned well with 45 Colt...there seems to be a message there. In my mind, just get a gun in 45 Colt and have nothing to do with 410 shells.

Broondog

imported post

Lew wrote:
Well, I finally did it. Picked up my first revolver and I am in love. S&W 28-2 Highway Patrolman. 4" .357 Blue and wood. circa 1975. I probably paid more than a more savvy buyer would, but whatever, I'm happy with it. The DA is super sweet and the SA is lighter than my 1911. I actually think I shot DA better, which surprised me. All in all, I was just blown away at the range. It was such a pleasant shooting experience. I'd post pictures, but I don't have a camera.

I always thought of myself as a 1911 guy, but I'm seeing more wheel guns in my future.
ahh yes, the Highway Patrolman. such a beautiful revolver!

since you don't have a camera i'll post mine as a substitute. :) i recently pulled the original wood stocks off of mine and put a Hogue set on. it trims down the profile just a bit and helps with recoil stability. i only carry mine around the farm for snakes and such since i don't currently have an active retention holster for it, just a leather thumbreak. occasionally it goes to town with me but only to the feed or hardware store and such.

S6300221.jpg

Loneviking

imported post

I often carry my S&W Mod 19 when I'm going back and forth between town and country. Around here, snakes are a problem and running snake shot in a revolver works better than a semi-auto. The problem with shot and autos is that when you have to go into town, you want defensive rounds. That chambering and rechambering of rounds in a semi-auto can lead to bullet setback, with increased pressures that can lead to a ka-boom! You don't have that problem witha revolver, and it's easy to keep two rounds of shot, four rounds of defensive loads and just spin the cylinder to keep whatever might be needed ready to go.

The butt of the revolver curves to fit the natural shape of the hand and makes fastdraws much easier. With limited capacity, speed is good to have, especially if tha speed is sending a heavy,fast moving .357 round downrange.

Did you know that you can buy, shoot and practice using wax bullets in a revolver,but not in a semi-auto? The brass chuckers won't cycle the rounds. But, that means a lot of practice, at very little cost can be done with a wheelgun.

And holsters? Check e-bay. Scads of revolver holsters, some of them are finely made leather duty holsters that you can get for next to nothing. The cops that used to use them traded them in for the semi-autos and new holsters.

Alexcabbie

imported post

In the wake of the recent rape of a young lady walking home from the subway here in Alexandria, I have noticed a huge uptick of young females opting for a cab instead of walking. A couple of them have been anti-gun types who are now rethinking their position. These have asked my advice as to how to obtain a CHP and as to a choice of firearm.

My recommendation to them is to go to a range where they canl rent out a .357 revolver,and get a box of .357and a box of .38+p; and determine which of the two feeels like the most they can handle. If .357, then use +p; if +p, then use straight factory .38 Spl. for defensive loading, but practice with the stronger load in either case.

One of them insisted on a semi-auto because "I want it to have a safety". I explained to her about how disengaging a safety could be a distraction in an emergency and how besides, modern revolvers have several passive safeties to prevent the weapon from discharging unless the trigger is pulled. For someone who has never handled a firearm in his or her life and needs to get good enough for self defense with one quickly, IMO there is nothing better - the ideal is, even - a revolver in .357 Magnum. You have a choice of three basic strengths of ammo, and utter reliability and safety. If a chimpanzee had thumbs, you could teach a chimp to shoot a .357 revolver within about fifteen minutes. (so it's probably a good thing chimps don't have thumbs!)

Don Barnett

imported post

I LOVEcarrying a revolver! Mine is a S&W 686 with a 3" barrel, which I bought at a gun show for $450; before S&W "sold their soul" to the Clinton Administration. Ithas a 7 shot cylinder.

The holster that I use is a Galco,designed for a 4" barrel gun, so I guess I could have boughta gun with one more inch...butthe 3" was available at the time.

I have always liked the .357 round.

If I had to buy another revolver for carry, it would be a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel.