Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Just a nice tidbit of information

  1. #1
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    Today during lunch, while working on the march, I had a need to contact Richmond City police to find out the legality of a certain matter. While speaking with a Sergeant of the department he asked me what the event was that I was concerned with...I told him it was the Second Amendment March. He said..."Right to Keep and Bear Arms?" I said yes, that's correct. He told me that there were many of 'them' who were quietly supportive of it but only quietly because they were public figures. I told him thank you very much, and that we appreciate it.

    He didn't have to say that but it was very nice to hear. Especially from a Richmond City PD Sergeant.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    Today during lunch, while working on the march, I had a need to contact Richmond City police to find out the legality of a certain matter. While speaking with a Sergeant of the department he asked me what the event was that I was concerned with...I told him it was the Second Amendment March. He said..."Right to Keep and Bear Arms?" I said yes, that's correct. He told me that there were many of 'them' who were quietly supportive of it but only quietly because they were public figures. I told him thank you very much, and that we appreciate it.

    He didn't have to say that but it was very nice to hear. Especially from a Richmond City PD Sergeant.
    Someone should pass that philosophy on to Chief Jacock in Virginia Beach and Chief Hargis in Portsmouth.

    On topic, I've talked to a few police officers in Richmond and they were supportive as well. One even told a guy that I was talking to that he could and should look into open carry.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Never Never Land
    Posts
    514

    Post imported post

    Richmond Officers seem to be above par on this matter from my experience with them on this subject.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    I had a need to contact (any city goes here) police to find out the legality of a certain matter
    Not the best way to find out.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  5. #5
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    I had a need to contact (any city goes here) police to find out the legality of a certain matter
    Not the best way to find out.
    Well in this case it was because I needed to make sure I could set up a table on the sidewalk behind the Bell Tower and if I could whether or not I'd need a permit/license to sell t-shirts/hats.


  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Richmond is interesting. The Cops sure don't have the polish found in most of the yuppy areas and there is still a fair amount of corruption in the Department.
    On the other hand, they have real work to do and do it.

    NOVA, Henrico, Chesterfield and others have real work also but try to push the crime in certain areas and then pretend it doesn't exist in their County/City.

    In Richmond, it's everywhere so they have to respond.

    It's good you had a pleasant experience.
    I find they are about 50/50 in Richmond.


  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373

    Post imported post

    I recommend never asking cops for legal advice. First, it's illegal for them to give it, unless they're licensed as attorneys; secondly, they generally don't know more than is necessary to do their jobs (and I find that the training they get in that department is often pretty weak); and third, they sometimes give misinformation hoping that they can influence the way people behave according to their own notions of what "ought to be" the law.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  8. #8
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    user wrote:
    I recommend never asking cops for legal advice. First, it's illegal for them to give it, unless they're licensed as attorneys; secondly, they generally don't know more than is necessary to do their jobs (and I find that the training they get in that department is often pretty weak); and third, they sometimes give misinformation hoping that they can influence the way people behave according to their own notions of what "ought to be" the law.
    I had to. I had to go to the department that handles vendor licenses in order to see if I needed one in order to sell tshirts.

  9. #9
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    ed wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    I had a need to contact (any city goes here) police to find out the legality of a certain matter
    Not the best way to find out.
    Well in this case it was because I needed to make sure I could set up a table on the sidewalk behind the Bell Tower and if I could whether or not I'd need a permit/license to sell t-shirts/hats.
    What was their response on this? (for those of us that may also want to sell something)
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373

    Post imported post

    So, did they send you over to the business license section? What the local police, or sheriff if there are no police, issue are "peddler's licenses". That allows you to do door-to-door sales.

    You also have to have a business license, which is issued normally by the office of assessments or treasurer's office. Entirely different. You need the business license to be issued by the same jurisdiction in which you keep your "books of account" or "principal place of business". One business license from any jurisdiction in Virginia gives you authorizion to do business throughout Virginia.

    In order to get a business license, you usually firsthave to have an occupancy permit issued by the zoning/code enforcement office for whatever place you work out of.

    No way the police understand that stuff at all. Ask them whether it's ok to walk up to some stranger on the street and punch his lights out for no reason, they'll know the answer to that one.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  11. #11
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    user wrote:
    You also have to have a business license, which is issued normally by the office of assessments or treasurer's office. Entirely different. You need the business license to be issued by the same jurisdiction in which you keep your "books of account" or "principal place of business". One business license from any jurisdiction in Virginia gives you authorization to do business throughout Virginia.
    You may also be able to get a single-use "special event" vendor permit. You do not have to be licensed, per-se, as a business in order to get one of these.

    I know in North Carolina the Sheriff's department handles the filing and publication of event licenses, but I do not know necessarily about vendors.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  12. #12
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    user wrote:
    . Ask them whether it's ok to walk up to some stranger on the street and punch his lights out for no reason, they'll know the answer to that one.
    That's OK if he's ugly...isn't it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •