Thread: Just a nice tidbit of information

Post imported post

Today during lunch, while working on the march, I had a need to contact Richmond City police to find out the legality of a certain matter. While speaking with a Sergeant of the department he asked me what the event was that I was concerned with...I told him it was the Second Amendment March. He said..."Right to Keep and Bear Arms?" I said yes, that's correct. He told me that there were many of 'them' who were quietly supportive of it but only quietly because they were public figures. I told him thank you very much, and that we appreciate it.

He didn't have to say that but it was very nice to hear. Especially from a Richmond City PD Sergeant.

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    Today during lunch, while working on the march, I had a need to contact Richmond City police to find out the legality of a certain matter. While speaking with a Sergeant of the department he asked me what the event was that I was concerned with...I told him it was the Second Amendment March. He said..."Right to Keep and Bear Arms?" I said yes, that's correct. He told me that there were many of 'them' who were quietly supportive of it but only quietly because they were public figures. I told him thank you very much, and that we appreciate it.

He didn't have to say that but it was very nice to hear. Especially from a Richmond City PD Sergeant.
    Someone should pass that philosophy on to Chief Jacock in Virginia Beach and Chief Hargis in Portsmouth.

On topic, I've talked to a few police officers in Richmond and they were supportive as well. One even told a guy that I was talking to that he could and should look into open carry.

Post imported post

Richmond Officers seem to be above par on this matter from my experience with them on this subject.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    I had a need to contact (any city goes here) police to find out the legality of a certain matter
    Not the best way to find out.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    I had a need to contact (any city goes here) police to find out the legality of a certain matter
    Well in this case it was because I needed to make sure I could set up a table on the sidewalk behind the Bell Tower and if I could whether or not I'd need a permit/license to sell t-shirts/hats.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Richmond is interesting. The Cops sure don't have the polish found in most of the yuppy areas and there is still a fair amount of corruption in the Department.
    On the other hand, they have real work to do and do it.

NOVA, Henrico, Chesterfield and others have real work also but try to push the crime in certain areas and then pretend it doesn't exist in their County/City.

In Richmond, it's everywhere so they have to respond.

It's good you had a pleasant experience.
    I find they are about 50/50 in Richmond.

Post imported post

I recommend never asking cops for legal advice. First, it's illegal for them to give it, unless they're licensed as attorneys; secondly, they generally don't know more than is necessary to do their jobs (and I find that the training they get in that department is often pretty weak); and third, they sometimes give misinformation hoping that they can influence the way people behave according to their own notions of what "ought to be" the law.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

user wrote:
    I recommend never asking cops for legal advice. First, it's illegal for them to give it, unless they're licensed as attorneys; secondly, they generally don't know more than is necessary to do their jobs (and I find that the training they get in that department is often pretty weak); and third, they sometimes give misinformation hoping that they can influence the way people behave according to their own notions of what "ought to be" the law.
    I had to. I had to go to the department that handles vendor licenses in order to see if I needed one in order to sell tshirts.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    ed wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    Well in this case it was because I needed to make sure I could set up a table on the sidewalk behind the Bell Tower and if I could whether or not I'd need a permit/license to sell t-shirts/hats.
    What was their response on this? (for those of us that may also want to sell something)
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

So, did they send you over to the business license section? What the local police, or sheriff if there are no police, issue are "peddler's licenses". That allows you to do door-to-door sales.

You also have to have a business license, which is issued normally by the office of assessments or treasurer's office. Entirely different. You need the business license to be issued by the same jurisdiction in which you keep your "books of account" or "principal place of business". One business license from any jurisdiction in Virginia gives you authorizion to do business throughout Virginia.

In order to get a business license, you usually firsthave to have an occupancy permit issued by the zoning/code enforcement office for whatever place you work out of.

No way the police understand that stuff at all. Ask them whether it's ok to walk up to some stranger on the street and punch his lights out for no reason, they'll know the answer to that one.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

user wrote:
    You also have to have a business license, which is issued normally by the office of assessments or treasurer's office. Entirely different. You need the business license to be issued by the same jurisdiction in which you keep your "books of account" or "principal place of business". One business license from any jurisdiction in Virginia gives you authorization to do business throughout Virginia.
    You may also be able to get a single-use "special event" vendor permit. You do not have to be licensed, per-se, as a business in order to get one of these.

I know in North Carolina the Sheriff's department handles the filing and publication of event licenses, but I do not know necessarily about vendors.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

user wrote:
    . Ask them whether it's ok to walk up to some stranger on the street and punch his lights out for no reason, they'll know the answer to that one.
    That's OK if he's ugly...isn't it?