• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just a nice tidbit of information

richarcm

imported post

Today during lunch, while working on the march, I had a need to contact Richmond City police to find out the legality of a certain matter. While speaking with a Sergeant of the department he asked me what the event was that I was concerned with...I told him it was the Second Amendment March. He said..."Right to Keep and Bear Arms?" I said yes, that's correct. He told me that there were many of 'them' who were quietly supportive of it but only quietly because they were public figures. I told him thank you very much, and that we appreciate it.

He didn't have to say that but it was very nice to hear. Especially from a Richmond City PD Sergeant.

curtiswr

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Today during lunch, while working on the march, I had a need to contact Richmond City police to find out the legality of a certain matter. While speaking with a Sergeant of the department he asked me what the event was that I was concerned with...I told him it was the Second Amendment March. He said..."Right to Keep and Bear Arms?" I said yes, that's correct. He told me that there were many of 'them' who were quietly supportive of it but only quietly because they were public figures. I told him thank you very much, and that we appreciate it.

He didn't have to say that but it was very nice to hear. Especially from a Richmond City PD Sergeant.
Someone should pass that philosophy on to Chief Jacock in Virginia Beach and Chief Hargis in Portsmouth.

On topic, I've talked to a few police officers in Richmond and they were supportive as well. One even told a guy that I was talking to that he could and should look into open carry.

richarcm

imported post

ed wrote:
richarcm wrote:
I had a need to contact (any city goes here) police to find out the legality of a certain matter
Not the best way to find out.
Well in this case it was because I needed to make sure I could set up a table on the sidewalk behind the Bell Tower and if I could whether or not I'd need a permit/license to sell t-shirts/hats.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Richmond is interesting. The Cops sure don't have the polish found in most of the yuppy areas and there is still a fair amount of corruption in the Department.
On the other hand, they have real work to do and do it.

NOVA, Henrico, Chesterfield and others have real work also but try to push the crime in certain areas and then pretend it doesn't exist in their County/City.

In Richmond, it's everywhere so they have to respond.

It's good you had a pleasant experience.
I find they are about 50/50 in Richmond.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I recommend never asking cops for legal advice. First, it's illegal for them to give it, unless they're licensed as attorneys; secondly, they generally don't know more than is necessary to do their jobs (and I find that the training they get in that department is often pretty weak); and third, they sometimes give misinformation hoping that they can influence the way people behave according to their own notions of what "ought to be" the law.

richarcm

imported post

user wrote:
I recommend never asking cops for legal advice. First, it's illegal for them to give it, unless they're licensed as attorneys; secondly, they generally don't know more than is necessary to do their jobs (and I find that the training they get in that department is often pretty weak); and third, they sometimes give misinformation hoping that they can influence the way people behave according to their own notions of what "ought to be" the law.
I had to. I had to go to the department that handles vendor licenses in order to see if I needed one in order to sell tshirts.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

richarcm wrote:
ed wrote:
richarcm wrote:
I had a need to contact (any city goes here) police to find out the legality of a certain matter
Not the best way to find out.
Well in this case it was because I needed to make sure I could set up a table on the sidewalk behind the Bell Tower and if I could whether or not I'd need a permit/license to sell t-shirts/hats.
What was their response on this? (for those of us that may also want to sell something) :)

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

So, did they send you over to the business license section? What the local police, or sheriff if there are no police, issue are "peddler's licenses". That allows you to do door-to-door sales.

You also have to have a business license, which is issued normally by the office of assessments or treasurer's office. Entirely different. You need the business license to be issued by the same jurisdiction in which you keep your "books of account" or "principal place of business". One business license from any jurisdiction in Virginia gives you authorizion to do business throughout Virginia.

In order to get a business license, you usually firsthave to have an occupancy permit issued by the zoning/code enforcement office for whatever place you work out of.

No way the police understand that stuff at all. Ask them whether it's ok to walk up to some stranger on the street and punch his lights out for no reason, they'll know the answer to that one.

wylde007

imported post

user wrote:
You also have to have a business license, which is issued normally by the office of assessments or treasurer's office. Entirely different. You need the business license to be issued by the same jurisdiction in which you keep your "books of account" or "principal place of business". One business license from any jurisdiction in Virginia gives you authorization to do business throughout Virginia.
You may also be able to get a single-use "special event" vendor permit. You do not have to be licensed, per-se, as a business in order to get one of these.

I know in North Carolina the Sheriff's department handles the filing and publication of event licenses, but I do not know necessarily about vendors.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

user wrote:
. Ask them whether it's ok to walk up to some stranger on the street and punch his lights out for no reason, they'll know the answer to that one.
That's OK if he's ugly...isn't it?:uhoh: