Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Problem with wanting to OC in seattle/West Seattle

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    19

    Post imported post

    I have a large problem with wanting to OC i have purchased a Springfield 1911A1 .45ACP and absolutely love it and definitely want to exercise and support the right to OC and CC both but the problem i have lie with where i live in West Seattle Half way up the block on 34th ave SW between SW holly st and SW willow st for those who may want to have a look at the details on Google Maps this puts me literally directly across the street from an elementary school parking lot......... I'm almost certain this will interfere with being able to OC or am i just nuts and it will be fine as long as i do not enter the school grounds?

    Any advice or suggestions would be great thanks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    BrownC6 wrote:
    I have a large problem with wanting to OC i have purchased a Springfield 1911A1 .45ACP and absolutely love it and definitely want to exercise and support the right to OC and CC both but the problem i have lie with where i live in West Seattle Half way up the block on 34th ave SW between SW holly st and SW willow st for those who may want to have a look at the details on Google Maps this puts me literally directly across the street from an elementary school parking lot......... I'm almost certain this will interfere with being able to OC or am i just nuts and it will be fine as long as i do not enter the school grounds?

    Any advice or suggestions would be great thanks!
    I'm not an RCW guru, but as I understand it, you can OC up to the school doors, but can not go in with a firearm loaded unloaded, oc or cc. But you can play on the swings OC.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    19

    Post imported post

    lol thanks Amzbrady i am not sure ill test the playing on the swings while OC. :P

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,762

    Post imported post

    C'mon dude, throw a period or two into that paragraph. This isn't a text message.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001

    Post imported post

    According to the RCW, you can carry on school grounds only to pick up or drop off a student, and only if you have a CPL. If you have any doubts, I'd just CC till away from the school.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  6. #6
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    There ya go, 3 goofs just gave you diff info, wait for the smart one to respond with the RCW, and hopefully you'll get a lamens, definition of it and not a political one.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    19

    Post imported post

    New thought, If i were to leave through the back door of my home and the alley that would not be a problem with being near the school grounds would it?

    Additionally i have looked at the RCW regarding this but may have missed this part if it is not during school hours say 2200/hr would that still have the same restrictions as during the morning or day while school were in session?

  8. #8
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Post imported post

    stay off of school property IAW RCW 9.41.280
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  9. #9
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    Wait for someone who make alot of sence to anwer this for you.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  10. #10
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Seattle-ish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    714

    Post imported post

    If you do not have a WA state CPL you will be in violation of Federal Law just by leaving your private property if you are within 1000 feet of the school:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fre...es_Act_of_1990

    If you do have a WA state CPL then you may carry a firearm onto the school premises under the following conditions (there are additional conditions which you may read at the linked page):

    "(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

    (f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school;

    (g) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age who is in lawful possession of an unloaded firearm, secured in a vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school; or" - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

    Read the entire link above.

    You may not randomly saunter around the school premises while carrying whether open or concealed; you must meet one of the conditions above.

    It's unfortunate, and based on recent events it is completely ineffective.

    ETA: If you have a WA state CPL the 1000 foot rule does not apply as you are then exempted from the Federal law and the state law mentions only "premises".

  11. #11
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    Ta da, See... Good luck getting any of this in lamens terms...
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    923

    Post imported post

    The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was enacted as section 1702 of the Crime Control Act of 1990

    it was found unconstitutional and overturned by the SCUTUS




    edit to add United States v. Lopez
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,238

    Post imported post

    Do not place yourself upon school grounds

    DO get a CPL to cover you under the 1995 GFSZA.

  14. #14
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Post imported post

    IIRC, the GFSZ act of 1990 was ruled unconstitutional by scotus, and then replaced with a new one in 1996? but it has not been tested yet, and some say that only a federal lawman could arrest you for going that close to a school with a gun.
    we in washington do not have a school zone law to worry about, just stay off the school property is all that is required.
    if you were in california, you would need a lock box just to get the unloaded gun out of your house and 1000feet away!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  15. #15
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    BrownC6 wrote:
    New thought, If i were to leave through the back door of my home and the alley that would not be a problem with being near the school grounds would it?

    Additionally i have looked at the RCW regarding this but may have missed this part if it is not during school hours say 2200/hr would that still have the same restrictions as during the morning or day while school were in session?
    Ever thought of moving, might be easier and more understandable.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    923

    Post imported post

    oh thanks for the correction defender
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    16

    Post imported post

    Don't get CPL and just O/C. As long as you don't go flashing your gat around should be fine. CPL just puts you on another list. It's your right to O/C

  18. #18
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    Django wrote:
    Don't get CPL and just O/C. As long as you don't go flashing your gat around should be fine. CPL just puts you on another list. It's your right to O/C
    Whether the law is right or wrong, it sure is a convenience not to have to unload the gun when getting in a vehicle, though. And it is also a convenience to be able to cash and carry a handgun out of a gun store in the same day.
    +++1
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, WA, ,
    Posts
    16

    Post imported post

    amzbrady wrote:
    NavyLT wrote:
    Django wrote:
    Don't get CPL and just O/C. As long as you don't go flashing your gat around should be fine. CPL just puts you on another list. It's your right to O/C
    Whether the law is right or wrong, it sure is a convenience not to have to unload the gun when getting in a vehicle, though.* And it is also a convenience to be able to cash and carry a handgun out of a gun store in the same day.
    +++1
    I already have a hand gun plus that's what gun shows are for.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    19

    Post imported post

    thanks everyone for all the replies i got an email mentioning a lawyer to ask from the SAF who specializes in this so i will see if i cant rack his brain a bit with this dilemma, i just want to be sure before carrying and one day suddenly be arrested for walking off the property and being too close to the school.

  21. #21
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Post imported post

    BrownC6 wrote:
    thanks everyone for all the replies i got an email mentioning a lawyer to ask from the SAF who specializes in this so i will see if i cant rack his brain a bit with this dilemma, i just want to be sure before carrying and one day suddenly be arrested for walking off the property and being too close to the school.
    why is this lawyer a secret???

    couldnt we all benifit from knowing who a good lawyer is?
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Seattle, ,
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    So what constitutes "school premises"? Does that mean just the facility or any and all land surrounding it too? What about the sidewalk next to the grass of the school? I assume a school's baseball field is considered school premises?

    I haven't been able to figure out just what that term means. Any definition of it in the RCW somebody can point to?

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    19

    Post imported post

    I have no idea if this guy even is a lawyer yet i just have an email for him ill find out what i can about him before getting into more with him just yet though there's not much to do till he emails back.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Django wrote:
    amzbrady wrote:
    NavyLT wrote:
    Django wrote:
    Don't get CPL and just O/C. As long as you don't go flashing your gat around should be fine. CPL just puts you on another list. It's your right to O/C
    Whether the law is right or wrong, it sure is a convenience not to have to unload the gun when getting in a vehicle, though.* And it is also a convenience to be able to cash and carry a handgun out of a gun store in the same day.
    +++1
    I already have a hand gun plus that's what gun shows are for.
    You apparently did not read the entire thread. You are suggesting that he violate federal law.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran ak56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Carnation, Washington, USA
    Posts
    748

    Post imported post

    Brandnew wrote:
    So what constitutes "school premises"? Does that mean just the facility or any and all land surrounding it too? What about the sidewalk next to the grass of the school? I assume a school's baseball field is considered school premises?

    I haven't been able to figure out just what that term means. Any definition of it in the RCW somebody can point to?
    RCW 9.41.280

    (1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:


    (7) "GUN-FREE ZONE" signs shall be posted around school facilities giving warning of the prohibition of the possession of firearms on school grounds.
    The RCW does not have a formal definition, but uses both the terms "school premises" and "school grounds". The common interpretation is that this refers to all of the property of the school, including any land surrounding it that is theproperty of the school.

    I do know of at least one case where the ballfields at a school are actually a park, and not school property, so would not appear to be restricted, but I suspect that in most places they are school property. As far as the sidewalk - I wouldn't push it. I would just assume that it would be considered school property, but that's just me.


    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.


    Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •