• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Problem with wanting to OC in seattle/West Seattle

BrownC6

imported post

I have a large problem with wanting to OC i have purchased a Springfield 1911A1 .45ACP and absolutely love it and definitely want to exercise and support the right to OC and CC both but the problem i have lie with where i live in West Seattle Half way up the block on 34th ave SW between SW holly st and SW willow st for those who may want to have a look at the details on Google Maps this puts me literally directly across the street from an elementary school parking lot......... I'm almost certain this will interfere with being able to OC or am i just nuts and it will be fine as long as i do not enter the school grounds?

Any advice or suggestions would be great thanks!

amzbrady

imported post

BrownC6 wrote:
I have a large problem with wanting to OC i have purchased a Springfield 1911A1 .45ACP and absolutely love it and definitely want to exercise and support the right to OC and CC both but the problem i have lie with where i live in West Seattle Half way up the block on 34th ave SW between SW holly st and SW willow st for those who may want to have a look at the details on Google Maps this puts me literally directly across the street from an elementary school parking lot......... I'm almost certain this will interfere with being able to OC or am i just nuts and it will be fine as long as i do not enter the school grounds?

Any advice or suggestions would be great thanks!
I'm not an RCW guru, but as I understand it, you can OC up to the school doors, but can not go in with a firearm loaded unloaded, oc or cc. But you can play on the swings OC.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

According to the RCW, you can carry on school grounds only to pick up or drop off a student, and only if you have a CPL. If you have any doubts, I'd just CC till away from the school.

amzbrady

imported post

There ya go, 3 goofs just gave you diff info, wait for the smart one to respond with the RCW, and hopefully you'll get a lamens, definition of it and not a political one.

BrownC6

imported post

New thought, If i were to leave through the back door of my home and the alley that would not be a problem with being near the school grounds would it?

Additionally i have looked at the RCW regarding this but may have missed this part if it is not during school hours say 2200/hr would that still have the same restrictions as during the morning or day while school were in session?

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

If you do not have a WA state CPL you will be in violation of Federal Law just by leaving your private property if you are within 1000 feet of the school:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

If you do have a WA state CPL then you may carry a firearm onto the school premises under the following conditions (there are additional conditions which you may read at the linked page):

"(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

(f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school;

(g) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age who is in lawful possession of an unloaded firearm, secured in a vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school; or" - http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

Read the entire link above.

You may not randomly saunter around the school premises while carrying whether open or concealed; you must meet one of the conditions above.

It's unfortunate, and based on recent events it is completely ineffective.

ETA: If you have a WA state CPL the 1000 foot rule does not apply as you are then exempted from the Federal law and the state law mentions only "premises".

1245A Defender

imported post

IIRC, the GFSZ act of 1990 was ruled unconstitutional by scotus, and then replaced with a new one in 1996? but it has not been tested yet, and some say that only a federal lawman could arrest you for going that close to a school with a gun.
we in washington do not have a school zone law to worry about, just stay off the school property is all that is required.
if you were in california, you would need a lock box just to get the unloaded gun out of your house and 1000feet away!

amzbrady

imported post

BrownC6 wrote:
New thought, If i were to leave through the back door of my home and the alley that would not be a problem with being near the school grounds would it?

Additionally i have looked at the RCW regarding this but may have missed this part if it is not during school hours say 2200/hr would that still have the same restrictions as during the morning or day while school were in session?
Ever thought of moving, might be easier and more understandable.

Django

imported post

Don't get CPL and just O/C. As long as you don't go flashing your gat around should be fine. CPL just puts you on another list. It's your right to O/C

amzbrady

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Django wrote:
Don't get CPL and just O/C. As long as you don't go flashing your gat around should be fine. CPL just puts you on another list. It's your right to O/C
Whether the law is right or wrong, it sure is a convenience not to have to unload the gun when getting in a vehicle, though. And it is also a convenience to be able to cash and carry a handgun out of a gun store in the same day.
+++1

Django

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Django wrote:
Whether the law is right or wrong, it sure is a convenience not to have to unload the gun when getting in a vehicle, though.  And it is also a convenience to be able to cash and carry a handgun out of a gun store in the same day.
+++1

I already have a hand gun plus that's what gun shows are for.

BrownC6

imported post

thanks everyone for all the replies i got an email mentioning a lawyer to ask from the SAF who specializes in this so i will see if i cant rack his brain a bit with this dilemma, i just want to be sure before carrying and one day suddenly be arrested for walking off the property and being too close to the school.