• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help wording a FOIA request

All American Nightmare

imported post

Which items can not be e-mailed ? Could not find anywere in2.2-3704 that gives the power to charge for redactions or legal review by the City Attorney or approval by the Tooth Fairy. Any duplicating fee charged by a public body shall not exceed the actual cost of duplication. Please send me a itemized cost list.

Perhaps this is a better response

NovaCop

imported post

The suspense about what occurred is starting to build..... when can we know?

All American Nightmare

imported post

I am making a request under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act] (§2.2-3700, et seq.).

I would like copies of the following records:]

Code:
1. Radio traffic (mp3 mp4 wav files
Code:
2. Officer body microphone recordings (mp3 mp4 wav files)
Code:
3. Dash-cam video (avi or any common video format
Code:
4. Field contact card/report
Code:
5. Text messages between patrol car and dispatch
Code:
6. Text messages between patrol cars
Pursuant to the Act, I request that within five working days you (a) provide me with all the records I request; (b) if the records are exempt from disclosure, identify which records are going to be withheld pursuant to which specific Code provision; or (c) if the records will be provided in part, identify which records are being withheld pursuant to which specific Code provision, and release the remaining, nonexempt records to me.]

If it is not practically possible to provide the records within five working days, please notify me that you will need an additional seven working days, as provided in the Act.]

As provided by FOIA, please provide an estimate of the costs of meeting my request before undertaking the task. Also, an acknowledgment of receipt of this request would be appreciated.]

If you have questions concerning my request, please contact me at so that we can work something out.]

I look forward to your response.

The Department has received your request and has estimated that it will cost approximately $36.00 to produce the documents/items in existence as requested. Please note that once produced, if these items need redaction (other person’s personal identifying information and/or other statutory exemptions) it may be slightly more.

In addition, not all of items exist in a format, which can be emailed. In accordance with Virginia Code Section 2.2-3704 (B) (4), and in order to completely and properly respond to your request without negatively impacting public safety and our intense operational responsibilities, the Department does need to utilize seven additional work days to respond to your request.

Please let me know if you still wish for the Department to process your request and/or if you have any questions.

Which items can not be e-mailed ? Could not find anywere in2.2-3704 that gives the power to charge for redactions or legal review by the City Attorney . Any duplicating fee charged by a public body shall not exceed the actual cost of duplication. Please send me a itemized cost list.

In accordance with your request, the approximate cost of searching and producing the requested records is as follows:

CAD Technician ($27.54 x 15 minutes) $ 8.85

Duty Sergeant ($26.80 x 25 minutes) $11.17

Trooper ($19.47 x 60 minutes) $19.47

6 Copies x .10/each $ .60

2 CDs x .26/each .53

Postage (approximate) $ 1.50

Total (approximate) $42.12

The FOIA Council has opined that the cost of redaction is a cost of production. The two CDs are not formatted to be emailed. Please let me know if you wish for the Department to proceed with processing your request. Please note that if you do wish to proceed, the Department will need an additional seven work days to produce in accordance with 2.2-3704 (B) (4) once you notify the agency as noted below.

So I guess media files cant be emailed anymore ?

What is a cad technician needed for ?

Why am I paying for Leo's to do work that they should have already done ?

Does this seem high to anyone ?

All American Nightmare

imported post

Citizen wrote:
xdm guy wrote:
Update

The Department has received your request and has estimated that it will cost approximately $36.00 to produce the documents/items in existence as requested. Please note that once produced, if these items need redaction (other person’s personal identifying information and/or other statutory exemptions) it may be slightly more.

In addition, not all of items exist in a format, which can be emailed. In accordance with Virginia Code Section 2.2-3704 (B) (4), and in order to completely and properly respond to your request without negatively impacting public safety and our intense operational responsibilities, the Department does need to utilize seven additional work days to respond to your request.

Please let me know if you still wish for the Department to process your request and/or if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
The department also needs to utilize a copy of 2.2-3704(F).

They are allowed to charge you for search and production of the records. To my knowledge, there is nothing in the Code authorizing them to charge you for redactions or legal review by the City Attorney or approval by the Tooth Fairy.

F. A public body may make reasonable charges not to exceed its actual cost incurred in accessing, duplicating, supplying, or searching for the requested records.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+2.2-3704

You could call Alan Gernhart at the VA Freedom of Info Adviosory Council to double-check: 1-866-448-4100

http://foiacouncil.dls.virginia.gov/

We don't tolerate out-dated ordinances on town books. We don't tolerate park signsbanning guns in violation ofstate pre-emption.We shouldn't toleratecreative interpretations of theVAFOIA statutes.

FOI Advisory Council Opinion AO-02-07 (3/14/2007): A public body may charge for the actual cost of staff time spent redacting records in response to a request. It may not charge any additional fee for a separate legal review of the same records.Rivera v. Long (Norfolk Circuit Court) (on costs and attorneys' fees)

Found this on FOIA page

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

xdm guy wrote:
FOI Advisory Council Opinion AO-02-07 (3/14/2007): A public body may charge for the actual cost of staff time spent redacting records in response to a request. It may not charge any additional fee for a separate legal review of the same records.Rivera v. Long (Norfolk Circuit Court) (on costs and attorneys' fees)

Found this on FOIA page
Thank you!

I can't say I'm glad to hear it, but I would rather know.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Edited to Add: I've now read the opinion. It makes sense on one level. The FOI statute in fact does not expressly authorize a government agency charging for redaction time; so theopinion has to look elsewhere for implied authorization. The implied authorization rationale makes sense. Too bad. I think I would rather government stuck only to what is expressly authorized.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

xdm guy wrote:
SNIP The Department has received your request and has estimated that it will cost approximately $36.00 to produce the documents/items in existence as requested. Please note that once produced, if these items need redaction (other person’s personal identifying information and/or other statutory exemptions) it may be slightly more.

Which items can not be e-mailed ? Could not find anywere in2.2-3704 that gives the power to charge for redactions or legal review by the City Attorney . Any duplicating fee charged by a public body shall not exceed the actual cost of duplication. Please send me a itemized cost list.

In accordance with your request, the approximate cost of searching and producing the requested records is as follows:

CAD Technician ($27.54 x 15 minutes) $ 8.85

Duty Sergeant ($26.80 x 25 minutes) $11.17

Trooper ($19.47 x 60 minutes) $19.47

6 Copies x .10/each $ .60

2 CDs x .26/each .53

Postage (approximate) $ 1.50

Total (approximate) $42.12

The FOIA Council has opined that the cost of redaction is a cost of production. The two CDs are not formatted to be emailed. Please let me know if you wish for the Department to proceed with processing your request. Please note that if you do wish to proceed, the Department will need an additional seven work days to produce in accordance with 2.2-3704 (B) (4) once you notify the agency as noted below.

So I guess media files cant be emailed anymore ?

What is a cad technician needed for ?

Why am I paying for Leo's to do work that they should have already done ?

Does this seem high to anyone ?

At a certain point you have a separate issue of badgering the agency to comply with FOIA. It can become its own fight, separate from the incident that triggered the records requests.

I recommend sticking to your guns. Two things I see right off the bat are the offered formats and the lack of explanation for the additional seven days.Beloware the relevant sections. Highlights and emphasis are mine:

Regarding electronic formats; 2.2-3704.G

Public bodies shall produce nonexempt records maintained in an electronic database in any tangible medium identified by the requester, including, where the public body has the capability, the option of posting the records on a website or delivering the records through an electronic mail address provided by the requester, if that medium is used by the public body in the regular course of business. No public body shall be required to produce records from an electronic database in a format not regularly used by the public body. However, the public body shall make reasonable efforts to provide records in any format under such terms and conditions as agreed between the requester and public body, including the payment of reasonable costs.

Just up and telling you vaguely that some records are not e-mailable is not an attempt to "make reasonable effort to provide records in any format under such terms and conditions as agreed between the requester and the the public body."

Also, some records supposedly not being e-mailable implies others are.

Ultimately, they may give you a sensible reason for not being able to e-mail some records. But, until they give you that sensible reason, you really have no idea. Trust me, police have the ability to ferret out the most nuanced significances when protecting their own interests. Which means they could do it, if they wanted to,when reading the FOIA statute, too.

Regarding seven more days; 2.2-3704.B.4

They said:

In accordance with Virginia Code Section 2.2-3704 (B) (4), and in order to completely and properly respond to your request without negatively impacting public safety and our intense operational responsibilities, the Department does need to utilize seven additional work days to respond to your request.

The statute says: "Such response shall specify the conditions that make a response impossible." (emphasis by Citizen)

What they said does not, "specify the conditions that make a [five day] response impossible."

The statute does not say, "give some information that hints at why it is not going to be done in five days." Nor does the statute say, "give some vague explanation from which the requester is supposed to draw his own conclusion."Nor,"Word a vague 'explanation'in a way that sounds heroicin the hope thatthe requester will draw a conclusion the requester finds acceptable."

By his own math, it is only going to take 1hr 40min by from three different people. Is he really expecting you to believe that if the time is not spread out across 10 days, then public safety will be jeopardized and their intense operational responsibilities will be compromised? What the hell do they do when someone calls in sick (gasp!) for an entire day!?!?!

Just as a side note, give some attention to that little comment about "in accordance with 2.2-3704.B.4..." Accordance? Give me a break. The correct word is "compliance." They do not havestatutory discretion. They arerequired to explain. "In accordance" is the phrasing a governmententityuses when it wants to go along with some directive without actually admitting it is required to do so because such admission would legitimize the authority of the directive.

This next is just me. I might even call them out on that"accordance" comment. Being sufficiently annoyed by the initialdepartures from what is required, I mightwrite back something like,

"In accordance with 2.2-3704.B.4 you need seven more days?First, itis not'accordance'.The word you are avoiding is 'compliance'.You are required to comply with the statute, unless you would like to tell the General Assembly that you personally believe you arethe only cop inthe whole state to whom the statute does not apply. Let meknow. I'll arrange the committee hearing for you. Furthermore, you did not even act 'in accordance' with the statute.[Iwould go on to explain how hedid notactuallyspecify the conditions that make a 5-day response impossible.]"

But, honey may work better than vinegar. You might try just calling his attention to the need for some"clarification" in the direction of doing what the statute calls for.

Myself, I would be inclined to back-charge them for having to trainthem on using the FOIA and demand they apply it as a credit to the cost of myFOIA request. But just as a method of showing them they are wasting my time, notbecause I really intend to not pay thedifference becausethey can refuse to fill your next request if any old request is more than 30 days unpaid. 2.2-3704.I.

2.2-3704: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+2.2-3704

All American Nightmare

imported post

It is not practically possible to provide the requested records or to determine whether they are available within the five-work-day period. Such response shall specify the conditions that make a response impossible. If the response is made within five working days, the public body shall have an additional seven work days in which to provide one of the four preceding responses.
Please specify why an additional seven work days is needed.

Which items cant be e-mailed ? This question was never answered. Please answer the question.

Public bodies shall produce nonexempt records maintained in an electronic database in any tangible medium identified by the requester, including, where the public body has the capability, the option of posting the records on a website or delivering the records through an electronic mail address provided by the requester, However, the public body shall make reasonable efforts to provide records in any format under such terms and conditions as agreed between the requester and public body.

I'mstarting to run out of sugar coating and Patience with this. I'm going to see what response I get from this.This is starting to be a repeat of what I went through with Henrico IAD and that:cuss::cuss: will not happen again

All American Nightmare

imported post

Since I got a bunch of BS from the FOIA request this is the story. Will post the conversion with the Sargent later on today.

As I was getting off the exit ramp to courthouse from powhite parkway on 3-17-10 The VSPhad a roadblock set up with couple of flares burning. As I left the tollbooth troopers who ask to see my DL, which I showed him, greeted me. He then informed me that the tags were expired, and ask me to pull to the side of the road. At that point I flipped my wallet to show him my ccp and ask If he would like to see it which he responds no( I informed him as a courtesy )and ask If I was armed ? (I tried not to laugh) He then ask me were the gun was.I told him on my hip, he said ok and told me he was going to take the weapon for the remainder of the stop.

At this point he ask me tostep out of thecar and told me (your doing the right thing ) as I got out of the car he told me to keep both hands were he could see them and grabbed my right wrist with two fingers. (I guess he did not want citizen’s germs on him) As he reached for the gun, I felt two sharp tugscausing me to bounce as I started to laugh again. (Another LEO that was unable to get the gun out of the holster) Then he realized what to do (I think he became upset that I was laughing again) He then told me to pull to the side of the road. He walked over a few min later and asks me If I knew the tags were expired, I said no and had no clue (was not my car)He said OK and walked back to his car. When he came back, he went to the passenger's side and just opened the door to the car and decided to take a look around he told me that he was going to write meand then handed me my magazineback. Meanwhile the entire time he was talking I do not think his neck and eyes stopped moving the entire time. Once I had my magazine back, he promptly left.

A couple min later, he came back with a ticket once I signed it he told me he was goinggivemy gun to give back to me. When he was walking back to the car, I heard this noise like a zip tie was being tightened. Before I could speak, He told me to leave the zip tie on and pull over at a gas station to reload down the road far away from him. Iask him what the deal with the zip tie is. He informed me that it was there for his safety, and so I would not shoot him in the back. I started laughing again and ask him are you serious?Once I stopped laughing I said to him I really hope you didn't run the numbers on the gun? He responds no but I should have. (I think at this point we were both upset)I ask him were did he have probable cause or even RAS to run the numbers and he said ( drum roll please ) It was a traffic stop and he did not need probable cause or RAS.I ask him again the same question and he responds the same way. I then ask for his name and badge number and his supervisors name and contact number.

At this point he tells me its policy any time a gun is seen its VSP policy to run the numbers. Then he took the gun again and told me he was going to run the numbers to make sure the gun wasn't stolen. (He acted as if he was doing me a favor) When he brought the gun back a second time I ask him. Why he ran the numbers and he responds its policy every time they see a gun, they run the numbers. He tells me that I am more than welcome to speak with his Sergeant if he hasn't left yet which he has. (In the video I gotthe car his Sergeant is driving stays there the whole time, and in real life it leaves a couple min after I get there)I call the number on the back of the ticket and before I leave the stop and leave a message for his Sergeant to call me. I get the gun back for a second time and tell him the conversion was recorded have a great night.

FOIA received Friday The audio I got was a 30 second clip of nothing what the hell happened to the other 15 min of the stop ?The video thatI got was after I left or before I got there the car I was driving is never in the video But another Trooper is and I watched him leave Oh and there is a tow truck driver in the video as well never saw him either

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I've looked at the FOIA response and IMO the girl that handled it fudged the whole thing. Very little of what was asked for was presented, he was over charged and was given a lot of double talk.

This has gotten to be the norm with the state police.

Are you going to the dinner tomorrow XDM?

All American Nightmare

imported post

If need be and it appears the need be

peter nap wrote:
I've looked at the FOIA response and IMO the girl that handled it fudged the whole thing. Very little of what was asked for was presented, he was over charged and was given a lot of double talk.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

We can meet up somewhere else if you want. I'll be back this evening sometime and all day tomorrow.

xdm guy wrote:

peter nap wrote:

All American Nightmare

imported post

just say when and where

peter nap wrote:
We can meet up somewhere else if you want. I'll be back this evening sometime and all day tomorrow.

xdm guy wrote:

peter nap wrote:

AbNo

imported post

xdm guy wrote:
Since I got a bunch of BS from the FOIA request this is the story. Will post the conversion with the Sargent later on today.

*GIANT F'KING BLOCK OF WORDS*
:shock:

Can you.... maybe go back and format that a little, add some line breaks, maybe some paragraphing, or something? It's three in the morning, and I can't handle a chunk of text like that.

A lot of other people can't or won't either.

All American Nightmare

imported post

AbNo wrote:
xdm guy wrote:

*GIANT F'KING BLOCK OF WORDS*
:shock:

Can you.... maybe go back and format that a little, add some line breaks, maybe some paragraphing, or something? It's three in the morning, and I can't handle a chunk of text like that.

A lot of other people can't or won't either.
Correctedthe original was typed on my cell phone.