• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idea: Open Carry GPS alert app for smartphones

Would you get this app?

• No, but I would if I had a smartphone.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes.

• Yes, and I wouldn't mind ads.

• Yes, and I'd even donate.

• No thanks.

• Total voters

ProfessAndObey

imported post

Hey, I have been enjoying my Motorola Droid running the Android OS, especially all the cool apps people have made, and I thought of a good one. Have an app that sets off an alarm when you get close to a "gun free zone" so that you don't inadvertently wander into or through a school zone or something while Open Carrying.

It should also have the text of all relevant laws, and even text of statements or talking points for dealing with the public. It could even start recording sound when you say a specific phrase such as "Hello Officer" so that it could also be your voice recorder in case you run into legal problems (and possibly geotag the recording for proof of your location during an encounter).

This is completely doable, because there's already apps that use your GPS to silence your phone when you get to work, or turn on your wifi when you get home. There's also apps that listen for specific voice commands (Although I think they're really bad on battery. Perhaps there's a better way to start it recording when an officer approaches. Such as pressing the camera button...).

I did some searching, and as far as I can tell, I'm the first one to suggest this idea. However, I'm far from a programmer and have no means to make this happen. I would like to have someone make this app for the benefit of the open carry community, so you have my permission to take this idea and use it. I only have three requests:
1. Make it free, but to make money you can enable ads or ask for donations.
2. Make it up to date with California's laws; I live in the People's Republic of CA, and it needs Open Carry more than most states.
3. Make it at least for Android, if not for other platforms as well.

So please, anybody who can write programs or knows a programmer: fill this need. I'd like to see this happen.

Oh, and post on here if you decide to write this app so that it gets publicity and so that people can collaborate on it with you if you want.

eye95

imported post

There needs to be a version for all major OSs: Android, Windows Mobile, and iPhone.

I'd pay money for that app! (There are very few apps that I think are worth buying.)

Thoreau

imported post

eye95 wrote:
There needs to be a version for all major OSs: Android, Windows Mobile, and iPhone.

I'd pay money for that app! (There are very few apps that I think are worth buying.)

Blackberry might qualify as a 'major' OS these days still =)

I 2nd the motion, but one thing that would be an issue is accuracy. Not only of the GPS/location sensing, but also of the data. An app even this simple would need a lawyer or two involved just to write a suitable EULA to make sure someone doesn't sue the creator out of existence the first time they're caught in a red zone and the app 'failed' to alert them...

As awesome as this idea is (I'd like it to be able to track businesses who do/do not want my business via gunbuster signs) It's a slippery slope of liability, personal responsibility, and a lawsuit waiting to happen. =(

eye95

imported post

Blueberry? Raspberry?? Whuh? :uhoh:

Sorry about that. No offense intended toward your choice of phone and OS.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

But in kommifornia you better have a good drive wipe, or any defense about
knowingly is out the window. Why give the cops more evidence to use against you?

Yes for law abiding citizen it looks like a great idea, but for targets of the state
it doesn't work out that way. That 10-30 feet resolution could really put you in a bind.
That is up to 3% error, not good for your defense. At least till that traffic case
of radar gun vs satalite tracking works it's way to the SCOTUS. :D

Your results may vary of course....

Have you even considered that our Supreme God has already said he is going to
track your phone, cross check that with your gun registration, and they can really
make your life miserable in wacko law states.

Thoreau

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Have you even considered that our Supreme God has already said he is going to
track your phone, cross check that with your gun registration, and they can really
make your life miserable in wacko law states.
Source please? =)

Old Grump

imported post

Since I don't believe in gun free zones and think they should be deep sixed along with almost every gun law on the books why would I want to have a phone telling me where I can and cannot go. Would I have to go home and lock up my gun before I drive past a forbidden zone. I am going to trust the so called restricted zones be calibrated into our phones by gun haters? Not today thank you very much. There would be no safe guns allowed zones if this should come to pass.