Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trick holster (Chambers, Removes Safety)

Post imported post

One of the cooler things I've seen, only available for the Makarov unfortunately.

Press down (hard) and it will chamber plus remove the safety.

Post imported post

Yeah that does look cool. Personally though, I think some things should be as simple as possible though.

-Gruu

Post imported post

I want one of those for my wife... she carries a Mak. Where can I get one?

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

I believe that's used by the Russian Spetsnaz. Cool holster but I wish they made it for more than just the Makarov.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair. Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

Don't ya hate it when someone shows you something cool online but doesn't bother to supply the pertinent links? :quirky

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-equip_belts.htm

http://www.rusmilitary.com/pdf/efa_manuals.pdf
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun."

Activist Member

Post imported post

That looks like it would be perfect for Utah where they have to carry 2 steps from firing if they don't have a permit.

If you could rig something up to insert a magazine from your belt during the motion it would even be good for California!

Post imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
    Don't ya hate it when someone shows you something cool online but doesn't bother to supply the pertinent links? :quirky

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-equip_belts.htm

http://www.rusmilitary.com/pdf/efa_manuals.pdf
    Pretty pricy... L66. = $99.95 USD w/o shipping. Any US sources?

Post imported post

Is it me, or does that have a hole for the ejector port, just incase yuo already chambered?

Banned

Post imported post

I am not familiar with this particular model of pistol. If removing the gun from the holster chambers a round and takes off the safety, what additional safeties keep you from putting a hole in your foot?

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    I am not familiar with this particular model of pistol. If removing the gun from the holster chambers a round and takes off the safety, what additional safeties keep you from putting a hole in your foot?
    I'll take keeping your booger hooker of the bang switch for $500 Dave. :quirky

Banned

Post imported post

If that is the only safety you have left while drawing the weapon, I'll take Hole in Your Foot for $1000 Alex.

While handling the weapon, before you have it pointed at something that a hole in won't cause you to cry, redundant safeties are a big plus.

Are there any other safeties in that situation other than "ain't nothing going to cause the trigger to move"?

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    The Mak has a latch safety on the l/h side. 'Down' is the fire position... so I suppose this holster cams the lever in that direction. It'd take a couple inches of down travel to chamber the round; but for women who have trouble pulling back slides, this seems like a good idea.

Post imported post

That has little to do with grip between thumb and forefinger. The Mak's a tight little gun. This is why many women prefer a wheelgun... 'cause they can't jack the slide on a semi-auto.

Post imported post

It's a great little CC gun.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    The Mak has a latch safety on the l/h side. 'Down' is the fire position... so I suppose this holster cams the lever in that direction. It'd take a couple inches of down travel to chamber the round; but for women who have trouble pulling back slides, this seems like a good idea.
    Simply carrying properly, with a round chambered and the safety engaged, is an even better idea.

This holster is pointless gadgetry. Any gun that isn't safe to carry with a round chambered, isn't safe to carry period. (The Makarov doesn't fall into that category. It's perfectly safe to carry.)

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    If that is the only safety you have left while drawing the weapon, I'll take Hole in Your Foot for $1000 Alex.

While handling the weapon, before you have it pointed at something that a hole in won't cause you to cry, redundant safeties are a big plus.

Are there any other safeties in that situation other than "ain't nothing going to cause the trigger to move"?
    Thousands of people carry defensive weapons every day with no manual safety and somehow manage to not shoot themselves.Thousands moredo have manual safeties and sweep them to the off position while drawing from the holster, also without shooting themselves. If you wait until you've acquired target in a self defense situation beforemoving the safety to the off position, you're probably going to lose the encounter.

The most important safety is the one between your ears, and it's the one I depend on most.

That being said, I don't understand the need for a holster of this sort with a Mak. They are a DA/SA pistol that's designed to be carried with one on the pipe and decocked. This holster not only adds steps to the draw and gives you the opportunity to make more mistakes, it seems to defeat the purpose of the guns design.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    That has little to do with grip between thumb and forefinger. The Mak's a tight little gun. This is why many women prefer a wheelgun... 'cause they can't jack the slide on a semi-auto.
    Oh poo, even my 60 yr old mother can pull a slide back on a new never fired XDm. I tricked her into it at a gun store.

Other than arthiritis or carpal tunnel or some other condition similar, I can't see why so many grown women can't rack a slide. If they can carry plastic grocery bags with a gallon of milk it themby hand, they are working those same muscles. If they can cart a baby seat with a baby in it around, they are using the same muscles. If they garden or scrub the tub every week, they are working those muscles.

I guessI am just a sour puss cuz I can stick a 50 pound feed sack on a shoulder and walk with it, and drag a 90 pound deer up a steep hill.

Banned

Post imported post

So, I will have to assume, since no one has actually said otherwise, that using this holster leaves one with a single safety upon having unholstered the gun, that safety being his finger is not on the trigger.

OK. No thanks.

Post imported post

I have seen this type of holster for a 1911. No sorry I can't remember where/who/how.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Activist Member

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    So, I will have to assume, since no one has actually said otherwise, that using this holster leaves one with a single safety upon having unholstered the gun, that safety being his finger is not on the trigger.

OK.* No thanks.
    Just like with any normal holster using a revolver or a Glock. But from the way that holster works that is only true if you draw downwards, if you drew upwards you'd have to manually rack the slide and turn off the manual safety. Chances are that if you're drawing downward with that holster that you are about to start shooting, in which case you'd want the safety off anyway.

Post imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Oh poo, even my 60 yr old mother can pull a slide back on a new never fired XDm. I tricked her into it at a gun store.

Other than arthiritis or carpal tunnel or some other condition similar, I can't see why so many grown women can't rack a slide. If they can carry plastic grocery bags with a gallon of milk it themby hand, they are working those same muscles. If they can cart a baby seat with a baby in it around, they are using the same muscles. If they garden or scrub the tub every week, they are working those muscles.

I guessI am just a sour puss cuz I can stick a 50 pound feed sack on a shoulder and walk with it, and drag a 90 pound deer up a steep hill.
    You come from a family of amazons... When my wife or her sisters try to pull the slide back... all they do is phart for the effort. :what:

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    I am not familiar with this particular model of pistol.* If removing the gun from the holster chambers a round and takes off the safety, what additional safeties keep you from putting a hole in your foot?
    Ask the same question about any Glock carried in a holster.

Banned

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    Ask the same question about any Glock carried in a holster.
    I have never handled a Glock. I carry a 1911. So, OK, what safeties are available for a Glock when it is drawn? Are you saying that it has no thumb safety?

Post imported post

Glocks have no external safeties whatsoever.

There is the trigger safety, which prevents the trigger from moving until you press it (fairly pointless), and there is an internal drop-safe mechanism.

No thumb safety, no grip safety.

In fact, the grip safety is a big reason I got an XD instead of a Glock. The XD has a grip safety, which means that it can be holstered with a slightly modified grip such that the grip safety is not depressed and the gun cannot fire.

This is actually a major problem with Glocks: firing when re-holstering. Since the only safety is on the trigger, all you have to do is have something sticking into your holster and the gun will discharge. Happens all the time, too.

With the XD one can holster in such a way that, with practice, no level of distraction and no amount of protrusions in the holster will cause a discharge.

Edit: Of course, with a 1911 I utilize the thumb safety, and thus I don't modify my grip when re-holstering, but instead I'll keep the grip safety depressed with a normal full control grip.

Further edit: BTW, another advantage to using a modified grip when re-holstering an XD is that the grip safety on the XD prevents the slide from moving more than a little and thus the gun from going out of battery. This is actually another problem with Glocks: if the thumb isn't pressed on the back of the slide when holstering, the friction of the tight fit may take the chambered round out of battery. This is easily avoided with the XD.

Historical trivia: One of the final prototypes of the 1911 (the model 1910 prototype) lacked a thumb safety. The cavalry actually requested John Moses Browning to add a thumb safety so that the gun could be safely holstered while riding, with one hand. Many people neglect this, but for this intended purpose the function of the thumb safety in locking the slide is more important than its function in locking the trigger.

I've tried it, and a 1911 is nearly impossible to holster one-handed in a GI flap holster with the safety off in such a way that the slide stays in battery.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I was just messin' around today, playing with taking my SA1911A1 from Condition Two (round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down) to Condition One (round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on) while in its SERPA. It worked pretty well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast