• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trick holster (Chambers, Removes Safety)

Pace

imported post

One of the cooler things I've seen, only available for the Makarov unfortunately.

Press down (hard) and it will chamber plus remove the safety.

efa_holster.jpg

TehGruu

imported post

Yeah that does look cool. Personally though, I think some things should be as simple as possible though.

-Gruu

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I want one of those for my wife... she carries a Mak. Where can I get one?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

That looks like it would be perfect for Utah where they have to carry 2 steps from firing if they don't have a permit.

If you could rig something up to insert a magazine from your belt during the motion it would even be good for California!

Pace

imported post

Is it me, or does that have a hole for the ejector port, just incase yuo already chambered?

eye95

imported post

I am not familiar with this particular model of pistol. If removing the gun from the holster chambers a round and takes off the safety, what additional safeties keep you from putting a hole in your foot?

hp-hobo

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I am not familiar with this particular model of pistol. If removing the gun from the holster chambers a round and takes off the safety, what additional safeties keep you from putting a hole in your foot?
I'll take keeping your booger hooker of the bang switch for $500 Dave. :quirky

eye95

imported post

If that is the only safety you have left while drawing the weapon, I'll take Hole in Your Foot for $1000 Alex.

While handling the weapon, before you have it pointed at something that a hole in won't cause you to cry, redundant safeties are a big plus.

Are there any other safeties in that situation other than "ain't nothing going to cause the trigger to move"?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

eye95 wrote:
The Mak has a latch safety on the l/h side. 'Down' is the fire position... so I suppose this holster cams the lever in that direction. It'd take a couple inches of down travel to chamber the round; but for women who have trouble pulling back slides, this seems like a good idea.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

That has little to do with grip between thumb and forefinger. The Mak's a tight little gun. This is why many women prefer a wheelgun... 'cause they can't jack the slide on a semi-auto.

KBCraig

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
The Mak has a latch safety on the l/h side. 'Down' is the fire position... so I suppose this holster cams the lever in that direction. It'd take a couple inches of down travel to chamber the round; but for women who have trouble pulling back slides, this seems like a good idea.
Simply carrying properly, with a round chambered and the safety engaged, is an even better idea.

This holster is pointless gadgetry. Any gun that isn't safe to carry with a round chambered, isn't safe to carry period. (The Makarov doesn't fall into that category. It's perfectly safe to carry.)

hp-hobo

imported post

eye95 wrote:
If that is the only safety you have left while drawing the weapon, I'll take Hole in Your Foot for $1000 Alex.

While handling the weapon, before you have it pointed at something that a hole in won't cause you to cry, redundant safeties are a big plus.

Are there any other safeties in that situation other than "ain't nothing going to cause the trigger to move"?

Thousands of people carry defensive weapons every day with no manual safety and somehow manage to not shoot themselves.Thousands moredo have manual safeties and sweep them to the off position while drawing from the holster, also without shooting themselves. If you wait until you've acquired target in a self defense situation beforemoving the safety to the off position, you're probably going to lose the encounter.

The most important safety is the one between your ears, and it's the one I depend on most.

That being said, I don't understand the need for a holster of this sort with a Mak. They are a DA/SA pistol that's designed to be carried with one on the pipe and decocked. This holster not only adds steps to the draw and gives you the opportunity to make more mistakes, it seems to defeat the purpose of the guns design.

XD40coyote

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
That has little to do with grip between thumb and forefinger. The Mak's a tight little gun. This is why many women prefer a wheelgun... 'cause they can't jack the slide on a semi-auto.

Oh poo, even my 60 yr old mother can pull a slide back on a new never fired XDm. I tricked her into it at a gun store.

Other than arthiritis or carpal tunnel or some other condition similar, I can't see why so many grown women can't rack a slide. If they can carry plastic grocery bags with a gallon of milk it themby hand, they are working those same muscles. If they can cart a baby seat with a baby in it around, they are using the same muscles. If they garden or scrub the tub every week, they are working those muscles.

I guessI am just a sour puss cuz I can stick a 50 pound feed sack on a shoulder and walk with it, and drag a 90 pound deer up a steep hill.

eye95

imported post

So, I will have to assume, since no one has actually said otherwise, that using this holster leaves one with a single safety upon having unholstered the gun, that safety being his finger is not on the trigger.

OK. No thanks.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

eye95 wrote:
So, I will have to assume, since no one has actually said otherwise, that using this holster leaves one with a single safety upon having unholstered the gun, that safety being his finger is not on the trigger.

OK.  No thanks.
Just like with any normal holster using a revolver or a Glock. But from the way that holster works that is only true if you draw downwards, if you drew upwards you'd have to manually rack the slide and turn off the manual safety. Chances are that if you're drawing downward with that holster that you are about to start shooting, in which case you'd want the safety off anyway.