• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Haven law suit settled

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I communicated with Steven Dulan attorney for the plaintiff (Chris Fetters) today and he stated that a settlement was reached and a press release will be coming out soon (< than a week).

I'll post as soon as I learn anything more.

Venator

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
great news, congrats chris!
Not so fast. It's settled onlydoesn't mean there was any award given. We don't know at this time what the results were or even if we will find out (Gag order perhaps???).

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
northofnowhere wrote:
Not so fast. It's settled onlydoesn't mean there was any award given. We don't know at this time what the results were or even if we will find out (Gag order perhaps???).
Can't it still be FOIA'd?

I believe that was what happened when Danbus was ordered to stay quiet about his settlement. It was FOIA'd, and a copy of the check he received was posted on this site.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
Venator wrote:
northofnowhere wrote:
Not so fast.  It's settled only doesn't mean there was any award given.  We don't know at this time what the results were or even if we will find out (Gag order perhaps???).
Can't it still be FOIA'd?

I believe that was what happened when Danbus was ordered to stay quiet about his settlement. It was FOIA'd, and a copy of the check he received was posted on this site.

Only if the agreement was through the courts. If it was settled outside the legal process, and the case was withdrawn separately - then no FOIA will uncover the mystery.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
FOIA all checks paid out by the City.... You would need to know a time period of course...

You're right. I hadn't thought about it that way.

You should be able to FOIA the city for all checks paid out and their amounts.

Michigander

imported post

I could see how if it was a personal check from 1 or more of the officers, how it wouldn't be able to be FOIA'd. Otherwise, it would seem a city expense, and therefore public. But then, as I always say, you can't try to interject the sense possessed by a pile of horse manure into Michigan law.

I'm going to look over Act 442 of 1976. I need to brush up on this. :uhoh:

WARCHILD

imported post

Just curious; All Brian was doing was letting us all know a settlement had been reached. GAG for now, will post later.
So why all the hypothetical discussion of what if's?

Michigander

imported post

2 reasons. First, I hope Grand Haven really got taken to the cleaners. That city has pissed me off numerous times.

Also, I think it is always good to try to broaden legal understandings.

WARCHILD

imported post

Broaden it how, there are no facts to go by at this time to warrant any discussion. Any discussion is all based on supposition and accomplishes nothing.

never mind

Michigander

imported post

Doesn't it make sense to try to better understand the dynamics of a FOIA?

Looking back on it, in light of the FOIA theszerdi posted that Dean made, I could have done better with a lot of FOIA's I've submitted. :uhoh:

Venator

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
FOIA all checks paid out by the City.... You would need to know a time period of course...
Of course but remember the city may have insurance so all you would get is the cities deductible, you wouldn't get the total amount.

You could FOIA all checks paid to Chris, Dulan, Insurance company, but it still may not be the total amount.

As for the gag order that too was speculation, I don't know that there is one, but it's common practice.

And this is all assuming that they got a settlement.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

It's great if he was able to get a settlement. However, aren't settlements reached before a case is dismissed? This case appears to have been dismissed in January with each party paying their own costs. Why wait until two months later to settle?