• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goldberg Decision from Second Circuit Court of Appeals

gluegun

imported post

Summary of the opinion, even though it's only 5 pages:

The District Court erred in dismissing the case wholesale on a rule of local civil procedure. The District Court has to actually consider the case before we get a decision on the remaining arguments.

While a win for Goldberg, this does little to advance gun rights. We'll have to see what happens in District Court first.

gluegun

imported post

I'm not sure whether the District Court case was gun related or due process. In any case it will give Goldberg some time to perhaps benefit from any ruling in McDonald. (Should one apply)

ETA: It was due process. Just rechecked the above posted decision. :)

Edward Peruta

imported post

The issues not addressed in Goldberg can be found in the Kuck decision, they were both argued together back on September 17, 2009.

The court is silent on the Second Amendment claims made in Goldberg which I take as a good sign that they don't want to be overturned by McDonald.

Obviously the state will have to make a decision on what to do now that the case has been resurrected by the Second Circuit.

This case and Kuck clearly puts in question the delays at the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners.

I'm sure that these cases will do much to change the Connecticut landscape regarding permit denials, revocations and delays associated with same.