• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silly Question??

KennyPro

imported post

This may be a silly question but I want to be on the right side of the law in Florida. When I am concealed carrying in Florida, can I carry my small NAA .22mag or small 380in my pocket?? Or does one have to concealedcarry in a holster?? I keep hearing about the two move regardinghandguns in Florida. Also can I carry one gun in a concealed holster and another in my pocket at the same time?? Situation may be I have my 357 mag in a concealed holster under my jacket and go shopping, it may get very hot and I want to put my Jacket in the car and gun in the glovebox. I would still have my personal protection of the smallbackup in my pocket....Is this within the law???.Thanks; Kenny:what::question:

brboyer

imported post

KennyPro wrote:
This may be a silly question but I want to be on the right side of the law in Florida. When I am concealed carrying in Florida, can I carry my small NAA .22mag or small 380in my pocket?? Or does one have to concealedcarry in a holster?? I keep hearing about the two move regardinghandguns in Florida. Also can I carry one gun in a concealed holster and another in my pocket at the same time?? Situation may be I have my 357 mag in a concealed holster under my jacket and go shopping, it may get very hot and I want to put my Jacket in the car and gun in the glovebox. I would still have my personal protection of the smallbackup in my pocket....Is this within the law???.Thanks; Kenny:what::question:
With a CWFL, you can carry as many firearms as you wish in any manner you wish as long as they are concealed on or about your person.

KennyPro

imported post

Thank you brother; I suspected that was the case but wanted to ask the question to be clear...more than one personarrested because they " knew " something that wasn't right!!..KP:celebrateI love this happy character!

JeepSeller

imported post

Florida's actually pretty simple.

There is no "2 move", "3 step" rule what so ever in Florida. That's a myth that just won't seem to die for some reason. In your car, securely encased is all that's required, no locks, no "3 steps", it just needs to be in somethin' and not immediately at your disposal. If you have a CWL, it can be on your person, concealed.

On your person with a CWL in or out of the car? Must be concealed from ordinary view. Simple as that.Even printing is not illegal, though, considered by most as not wise whenever avoided. No retention requirements, no number of steps, even a holster is not required, even though it's kinda stupid in my opinion....nothing to protect that trigger from stupid stuff. :lol:

No CWL? Outta luck for carry. Sorry.

Oh, and OC IS allowed, but, in highly restricted, very small terms. Camping, hunting, fishing...that's pretty much it on that one. :banghead:

C

ccloud43

imported post

Hi all, I will be visiting FL next month and will hopefully be moving back sometime this summer. Where can I find laws concerning cc, mostly where it is allowed and not allowed.

Jeepseller by your post i am to understand that imprinting while carrying is "NOT" illegal. I dont try to print but sometimes it is kinda tough, especially in a hot environment.

Thanks

JeepSeller

imported post

ccloud43 wrote:
Hi all, I will be visiting FL next month and will hopefully be moving back sometime this summer. Where can I find laws concerning cc, mostly where it is allowed and not allowed.

Jeepseller by your post i am to understand that imprinting while carrying is "NOT" illegal. I dont try to print but sometimes it is kinda tough, especially in a hot environment.

Thanks

Edit: I'm on an ancient desktop PC, no spell check ability for my posts..and I'm a horrid speller. Sorry for the errors. :banghead:

ccloud43, there is nothing within Florida's statutes that addresses "printing". All that is required to be concealed is that the weapon is out of ordinary sight. So, based upon that, printing is not illegal technically.That's not to say you can't get someone going nuts if they realize what it is, but, based on what I've heard, seen, and read, my understanding is that it's not a criminal offense.

Many times, too much concern or emphais is placed on printing anyway. Unless you're wearing a spandex skin tight shirt and the imprint of your firearm is just crazy obvious, a slight bulge of some object under a shirt, in a pocket, etc. is routinely dismissed by most folks anyway. Given the fact that almost everyone these days has a cellphone, PDA or some gizmo they might be wearing on their belt, honestly, few give that bulge a 2nd look aside those of us who know to look and what to look for.

And, yes, Florida's weather complicates concealement. Florida's standard attire is shorts, t-shirt and FlipFlops. Not much to work with concealing any decent sized firearm, believe me. But, it can be done and can be done comfortably. First of all you need a GOOD holster and a even better GUN belt. When I say good, I mean GOOD! And, bygun belt, a WalMart special won't do. Needs to be a belt specifically designed to hold up the weight of a gun.You don't have to roll out the big bucks and order a custom, but, Florida summer clothing demands a holster that firmly tucks things into your body as snug as possible with absolutely NO shifting, bouncing, sagging etc.

I carry a FULL sized Beretta 96D. (think the 92 9mmservice pistol most are familiar with only chambered in .40SW)That's one big gun for concealed carry, trust me. It's heavy and it's about as big as you get before getting really crazy with desert eagle's and such. I evenget really insane by carrying OWB vs. IWB in aBianchi holster...and I rarely worry about printing.

One size too big printed cotton t-shirts work well. I like the one's a little long and with thebreast pocket to carry my cellphone..keeps me from lifting my shirt to get it off my belt or out of my pocket. By, printed shirts, I just mean "busy". You need what really amounts to camoflouge to break up the visiual of any printing outline you get. Even those kinda speckled ones, normally grey, you might wear in gym class works fine and those come in many colors now. Dark seems to cover better than light colors.

Honestly, a cotton t-shirt with a cotton casual button down unbottoned works great, you could hide TWO desert eagles under there. :lol: And, honestly, layering works better in the heat than one. Wierd, but, try it. They've been layering cotton in the desert for centuries. Think about it.

Finally, to answer your other part..here's where you get your info..dry reading for sure, but, like I say, we're actually fairly simple about it here.

You'll find definitions here; 790.001

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=firearms&URL=Ch0790/Sec001.HTM

Statutes handleing the license itself here; 790.06

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?mode=View%20Statutes&SubMenu=1&App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=firearms&URL=CH0790/Sec06.HTM

And statutes recarding concealed carry here; 790.01

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=firearms&URL=Ch0790/Sec01.HTM

With lots of hotlinks to any other relevant statutes. Happy reading. :lol:

brboyer

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
brboyer wrote:
With a CWFL, you can carry as many firearms as you wish in any manner you wish as long as they are concealed on or about your person.
Is the on or about your person a requirement?

On foot, yes. In the car, concealed - anywhere.
"Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

C

ccloud43

imported post

Thanks Jeepseller. I'll be doing some reading. I'll be in your area the week of 11 april. looking foward to some good weather for a change. also after i move down I will be in the orlando area. I CC a Kimber ultra carry II in a galco Jak Slide holster. Works pretty well even under a t shirt which is what I usually wear in summer. I like the idea about a "loud" shirt so I might start wearing a bigger hawaiian style button up over a T shirt. Thanks for the info...

JeepSeller

imported post

ccloud43 wrote:
I like the idea about a "loud" shirt so I might start wearing a bigger hawaiian style button up over a T shirt.

That's the beauty of Florida. You can get away with wearing practically anything around here. Folks wear FlipFlops and shorts to churcharound here. Took me some time to get used to that. It was at the very least a nice shirt and slacks where I grew up. A tie for men became almost required by the time they hit their 20's.

I'm not sure they even SELL neck ties in this state. There may be some kind of ban on them, I've just never done the research. :lol::lol::lol:

C

ccloud43

imported post

I grew up in Florida, in Lakeland, joined Navy in 82 and left the state in 88. Was in Jax until then. Virginia is a great state for firearms carry, but it is time to leave and come back home. Will get politically active there like I have been doing here.

Are there any pro gun lobby groups in FL? Here in Va we have VCDL.

Phssthpok

imported post

From the above links:

[size="-1"][/size]
(2) "Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

Does this mean that an openly worn flap holster, constructed in such a manner as to COMPLETELY conceal the the actual firearm, would be legal?

T14-holster.jpg

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That would definitely cover the firearm but I guess it depends on interpretation if an obvious holster is concealing it or not.

I would NOT want to be the test case for that one.

brboyer

imported post

"Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

Ruger9mm1986

imported post

When I took my CWP class the instructor said as long as the weapon is not visible itself it is considered concealed. So if u put it in that holster and is completely covered without any visible parts showing then under FL law it is concealed.

Example : You put a Ruger 9mm in your pocket. You look in the mirror and can distinctly see the outline of the 9mm in your pocket. It is still "concealed." Because no visible part of your weapon is exposed.

brboyer

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
brboyer wrote:
So, is there a gun in the holster pictured above or not? Can't tell, can you? There might, or there might not be. To me, that is concealed. If the holster above carried in plain sight is worthy of a charge of open carrying, then women's (or men's!) purses should be as well.
Exactly!