• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westchester NY gun permit in NYC???

tbiz33

imported post

Im waiting for my gun permit(in westchester)to come in the mail & want to know if I could be an armed guard in the city ??

please reply..

Thanks.

press1280

imported post

The NY state and NYC permits are from different entities and don't honor each other. So basically no, however, there may be buisness location exemptions to carrying. The other option is to try for a NYC permit. You said you're an armed guard? Typically the employer gets involved to try to get you a permit for work purposes only.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Only in New York would they claim no equal protection violation with a New York State license not being valid in New York City, but a New York City license being valid statewide.

Now that is some backward a** s***!! But, you learn something neweveryday.

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

redlegagent

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Only in New York would they claim no equal protection violation with a New York State license not being valid in New York City, but a New York City license being valid statewide.
That's because people misunderstand what we're talking about. It's not a NYS license, it's a State of NY pistol permit. It's not issued by the state, it's issued by each county and recognized by the state. The law allows for NYC - as an issuing authority - to withold recognition of other county issued permits, not unlike other statesregarding reciprocity. Sad, but there it is. ;)

tbiz33

imported post

Ok thanx for the reply!! I have a friend with a westchester NY permit & he works everywhere in an amored car.

tbiz33

imported post

Does anyone think I maybe be able to get a city permit faster seeing I just got a permit in westchester?? or is it the same process over again??

rick900

imported post

tbiz33 wrote:
Does anyone think I maybe be able to get a city permit faster seeing I just got a permit in westchester?? or is it the same process over again??
NYC will issue you a "special permit" which is designed for NY state residents with a county permit to carry business or carry guard in NYC as long as their county permit is valid.