• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Snohomish County Park Possession Ban Update (23March10)

jbone

imported post

Just received a call from the Office of CouncilmanKoster. Today @1330 the Park Gun Ban for Snohomish is being brought back before the OperationCommittee.

joeroket

imported post

Did I hear that moron right? I am not even sure who it was.

He said there are two questions they are dealing with, one is do they want to act on the Sup. Court ruling and move to be in compliance with state law and the other is what do they want state law to be.

Why the hell does Sno County Council, or at least this idiot, think they get to dictate what state law should be? Some of these guys are power hungry asses that are a little big for their britches.

No decision yet. It sounds like they are putting it up for the council meeting on the 31st.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Here is a direct link to the video http://snohomish.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=1668

This is actually a positive move by the council and was a little confusing as to what they were addressing.
They are saying they want to come into compliance with State Law, this is a good move on their behalf, just hopefully it can be passed.

They acknowledged the Superior Court Ruling that ruled it was illegal for Seattle to ban guns in the park and then came in the confusion of the Federal Lawsuit brought around the same time SAF and others brought up to which we won.

The Federal Lawsuit was in direct relationship to the Second Amendment in which this the speaker was not aware of the Washington State Supreme Court Ruling that the 2nd Amendment is incorporated to our State.

They were talking about not liking the law or wanting to change it was to be placed in their Legislature pursuits for next year in the State Level, this is not for a new county ordinance.

It appears this will be heard in more detail on the 31st and we need those who are well informed show up and sign up to speak on the issue of law.

There is one that who spoke about not wanting people to carry shotguns in our parks, well there are other countries he can live that prohibit such actions. Thankfully ours does not, personally I would not as I do not feel it would be appropriate and may well fall into the "at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons"
However there was a case of this type last year in Idaho where 2 teen brothers carried their riles to the park and around town for protection, there was a bit of an up roar but it was legal to do so.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274138,00.html

This also gives an opportunity to yet again demonstrate now those legally armed are respectful and confident citizens as demonstrated at Starbucks (as I saw it was a great display of what legally armed citizens truly are knowledgeable and respectful).

corrected Supreme to Superior Court.

joeroket

imported post

BigDave wrote:
They acknowledged the Supreme Court Ruling that ruled it was illegal for Seattle to ban guns in the park and then came in the confusion of the Federal Lawsuit brought around the same time SAF and others brought up to which we won.
There is no Supreme Court ruling that said the Seattle gun ban was unlawful. It was a Superior Court and that ruling, as it stands, only applies to King County. The ruling from the Appellate court will have a broader application.