• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Shop

NRAMARINE

imported post

Went in last week looking for a holster for a browning buckmark and a pocket rig for a derringer. Had a brief conversation that started with an employee asking if I was LEO. When I said no he quickly stated that oc'ing was illegal. I politely corrected him to which he rather snidely replied, "well just try it." and walked away.:banghead:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
Went in last week looking for a holster for a browning buckmark and a pocket rig for a derringer. Had a brief conversation that started with an employee asking if I was LEO. When I said no he quickly stated that oc'ing was illegal. I politely corrected him to which he rather snidely replied, "well just try it." and walked away.:banghead:
would have been better if you had been OCing at the time - then you could just nicely say, well, "OK, when you get done helping me, feel free to call the police."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Would have also been an excellent opportunity to have a polite conversation with the store manager regarding their employee giving out false information.

Yata hey

charlie12

imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:

What Bass Pro was it? I know a girl that works at BP in Denham. I'll see her in about an hour I'll tell her about it.

Did you have a gun with you then?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
Come to think of it, why did the employee ask you if you were a LEO if you were not OCing?

Yata hey

charlie12

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Even better yet than advice from those who never OC at Bass Pro:
Let's go back, OC'ing, let some idiot bozo non-agent employee call the law.

Cha-CHING !!!!!
Maybe the guy is not money hungry and just wants the employee to know what the policy and the law is.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Even better yet than advice from those who never OC at Bass Pro:
Let's go back, OC'ing, let some idiot bozo non-agent employee call the law.

Cha-CHING !!!!!
Let's = let us = you "go back , OC'ing, let some idiot bozo non-agent employee call the law." When and how is an employee a non-agent?

Then LEO either does not screw up badly enough to give you cause and you lose (likely) or everything goes as you imagine and you win - Cha-CHING as you say.

Presume you would then put the funds into your Memrights group - last time I heard of it, you were looking to replace OCDO on a national scale. How is that working out?

BTW - I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do OC at BPS every time.

Yata hey

NRAMARINE

imported post

It was the denham bp. I was not oc'ing but i was cc'ing ( legally). He asked me if I had the derringer on me to fit it to a pocket holster and I told him yes. That's when he asked if I was leo. I answered no and that's when I informed him I had a cc permit and that for the record oc'ing was not only legal but requires no permit. I hope this better explains what I may have left out earlier.

P.S. not interested in litigation if it can be avoided.

NRAMARINE

imported post

One of the fundamentals I was taught throughout my life, and was reinforced in the USMC was just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should. Those who simply go throwing their weight around and intentionally ACTING like they are looking for conflict are nothing more than bullies, and by definition, cowards. True courage is not only standing up for your rights, but also educating those who are ignorant to those rights in a non threatening way whenever possible. There are 3 types of people, bullies, victims, and examples of what's right. I TRY to be an example. Nothing more.

gentlemanjack10mm

imported post

remember his name? there are so many new workers there and they are not told whats what

some of the mgs there dont even knowthe rules seems each one has their own idea

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

gentlemanjack10mm wrote:
remember his name? there are so many new workers there and they are not told whats what

some of the mgs there dont even knowthe rules seems each one has their own idea
When replying to another post, use the "Quote" button - type your answer/reply outside/below the quoted box. These steps will make it easier to follow who said what. :)

Also check out the following thread to get some insight on BPS:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/40748.html

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NRAMARINE wrote:
Others choose to be bullies. Or at least they try to be.
LOL, standing up for your rights is not, I repeat, not being a bully.
Sure wish I could protect MY rights without the sheeple of Amerika benefiting from my efforts.
bul·ly[sup]1[/sup] n. pl. bul·lies
A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.
A hired ruffian; a thug.
3. A pimp.

v. bul·lied, bul·ly·ing, bul·lies v.tr.
To treat in an overbearing or intimidating manner. See Synonyms at intimidate.
To make (one's way) aggressively.

v.
intr.
To behave like a bully.
2. To force one's way aggressively or by intimidation:

Yata hey

DannyAbear

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
NRAMARINE wrote:
Others choose to be bullies. Or at least they try to be.
LOL, standing up for your rights is not, I repeat, not being a bully.
Sure wish I could protect MY rights without the sheeple of Amerika benefiting from my efforts.
bul·ly[suP]1[/suP] n. pl. bul·lies
A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.
A hired ruffian; a thug.
3. A pimp.

v. bul·lied, bul·ly·ing, bul·lies v.tr.
To treat in an overbearing or intimidating manner. See Synonyms at intimidate.
To make (one's way) aggressively.

v.
intr.
To behave like a bully.
2. To force one's way aggressively or by intimidation:

Yata hey
That description fits the Po Leece around here.

rmansu2

imported post

I usually don't go to the big box stores, but when I do it's usually Cabela's.

I know the guy in charge of "loss prevention". I asked him point blank, "does Cabela's require a trigger lock to be installed on every firearm that walks through the door, and can I carry my P95 in a holster in the store?"

His response, "as long as your not going to the range or trying out holster, as long as your firearm stays holstered, you do not have to have a trigger lock."

James Cannon

imported post

That's very unusual. I'm in Lafayette, but I wander across the Basin to the Denham Springs BPS pretty often... great ammo selection and prices, compared to what I get locally. My son also loves the fish and snapping turtle :)

I open carry the vast majority of the time I go there, and I've never had an issue. I've actually had a few of the guys behind the gun counter comment on my gun. One guy actually knew it was a Browning Hi Power without me saying, which is kind of rare. Not many seem to recognize anything but Glocks and 1911 clones. I've had others acknowledge the gun and recognize that it's there, and never mention anything regarding my carrying of it.

I wouldn't hesitate to politely correct someone on the legality of it, of course. Most people end up saying "Oh wow, I had no idea... I always thought.. etc etc" and assume that the guy carrying the gun is probably much more aware of the laws regarding it's carry.

Sucks that a major resource to the firearms community had someone so unaware of the law, but oh well. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with the laws, especially regarding the dynamics of firearm legislation, these days...