• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC In Liquor Licensed Places?

imported post

Ok at the OC seminar the guy giving the presentation said that you may no OC in a Liquor Licensed store without a CPL. Then he listed stores like, Meijer, walmart, apple bee's etc. How does this law apply to me if I'm not 21? I don't have a CPL but can't buy liquor anyways.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

If you don't have a CPL you may NOT legally carry into any place (nor on the property) that is licensed by the Liquor Control Act.

EVERY place in Michigan that sells Alcohol legally, is licensed.

If you do not have a CPL, you may NOT carry into Meijer, Kroger, restaurants that sell alcohol, CVS, Walgreen's, or your local party store....etc
That said, things can change when you do have a CPL but there is no need for that info in this thread as all it would do is muddy the water when we should be VERY CLEAR on this subject.

fixed

scot623

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
One little addition... to Dougs Excellent post.

You cannot even be on the property of the Licensed establishment. So don't even leave the gun in the car... it has to stay home.
[align=right][/align]

This is a new distinction I have not heard here before. Is there a cite that says a gun properly stored in a lock box cannot be in a car's trunk in the parking lot of business that has a liquor license without a cpl?

imported post

hey Scot I two live in Eastpointe.

I'm the OP and to add to this question. so the only way for me to OC in an establishment under the liquor act is to get a CPL.... so If I go out take a CPL class will the give me a CPL under 21? I understand that I would not be able to conceal by law. But then again I would have a CPL and there for be able to OC in an establishment under the liquor act.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

You must be 21 to receive a CPL. Under 21 the only way to open carry in a place licensed to sell alcohol is with permission. Read 1H and2D. This law 750.234d is the law you need to follow while carrying. Also 750.237a which covers schools. Without a CPL schools are off limits as well.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

autosurgeon

imported post

scot623 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

You cannot even be on the property of the Licensed establishment. So don't even leave the gun in the car... it has to stay home.

This is a new distinction I have not heard here before. Is there a cite that says a gun properly stored in a lock box cannot be in a car's trunk in the parking lot of business that has a liquor license without a cpl?
There is no exception for parking lots in 750.234d so therefor parking lots are off limits.

As Sprinklerguy said however if you have permission you would be ok. Although I would recommend written permission.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Hey there ACT, not sure which one you, probably the younger guy to my right? I was the guy out in the store "preaching". You might want to change your post, in it you may or may not admit to doing something illegal, that could be held against you.

PM me if you're confused.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

American Traditional Citizens (ACT) wrote:
hey Scot I two live in Eastpointe.

I'm the OP and to add to this question. so the only way for me to OC in an establishment under the liquor act is to get a CPL.... so If I go out take a CPL class will the give me a CPL under 21? I understand that I would not be able to conceal by law. But then again I would have a CPL and there for be able to OC in an establishment under the liquor act.
You can get permission to OC (w/o CPL) for these places, but I would get in writing.

manicdevery

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
scot623 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

There is no exception for parking lots in 750.234d so therefor parking lots are off limits.

As Sprinklerguy said however if you have permission you would be ok. Although I would recommend written permission.
Where was is that was said that parking lot does not count against said pistol free places? is that when dealing with CC and with CPL?

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

manicdevery wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
scot623 wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Where was is that was said that parking lot does not count against said pistol free places? is that when dealing with CC and with CPL?
the part that says "On Premise" look on the tri-fold Brochure! 750-234d

autosurgeon

imported post

The Pistol free Zones for a CPL holder are codified in a different statute and there is an exception for most of those locations parking lots. However that is ONLY for CPL holders. Since the OP does not have a CPL he must be concerned with the MCL I Cited and there is NO exception for parking lots listed in those PFZ's. This means the entire property is included in "Premises" in the before mentioned MCL

scot623

imported post

I guess I was thinking more in terms of transporting a firearm vs. carrying a firearm. It does get a bit grey and murky. Best to err on the side of caution.

autosurgeon

imported post

scot623 wrote:
I guess I was thinking more in terms of transporting a firearm vs. carrying a firearm. It does get a bit grey and murky. Best to err on the side of caution.
And it gets worse! The way the law is written you cannot have a gun on the property of a liqueur licensed establishment period even if in transport mode! Just think how many hunters violate that one every year.... not to mention that as soon as you buy a gun at a Walmart you are breaking the law! :what:

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
If the place had an open carry sticker on their door, would this count as written permission? I would assume so, but what say ye?
I wouldn't put my life in the hands of a sticker!,

Second if you assume a sticker on the door is the same as a letter in your hand with your name, and a signature of the store owner....Well we could always come visit you in Jail.
:celebrate Just Saying

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

true.

The trouble is that If I ask the mgr. at say, Kroger, if I can get permission to OC, then they will say no, and when my infringement is up in July, I wont be able to OC there even with a CPL. They may let me CC, but that would just mean I have to find another store. As it is, I had never had a problem OCing there before.