• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's the Constitution, stupid

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I am taking a Constitutional Law course at my college and their are future LEO's there that are being told that open=carry is legal in WA. State. I wish that they would require LEO's to get a 2 year degree in college with a strong focus on the State Consitution.

Dave Workman

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
I am taking a Constitutional Law course at my college and their are future LEO's there that are being told that open=carry is legal in WA. State. I wish that they would require LEO's to get a 2 year degree in college with a strong focus on the State Consitution.

Good for you, Sylvia!

Where's this at? What college?

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Bellevue College. When the Washington State Constitution is brought up concerning the right to carry and own firearms I point out what the Constitution says and court rulings. There are a couple of LEO hopefuls though that seem bothered by citizens even owning firearms which is concerning to me.

Dave Workman

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Bellevue College. When the Washington State Constitution is brought up concerning the right to carry and own firearms I point out what the Constitution says and court rulings. There are a couple of LEO hopefuls though that seem bothered by citizens even owning firearms which is concerning to me.

Really???!!! :what:

Where are they from, around here or some other state or what?

gsx1138

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Yeah, there are a few LEO's that have issues with anyone but them owning a gun. Most have no issues with it.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Some of them have parents that are LEO's. Some of them are "conservative" and grew up in small towns.

I am trying to get a couple of people together to start a 2nd Amendment group at Bellevue College. From what I understand they had one there in 1996 (?).

I wanted to call the group "Article 1 Section 24." It is still in the works though, so we will see. I thought it might be best to open the group up and target students and faculty who are in support of that aspect of the Constitution then build from there. I am not sure what type of reception there would be though.

erps

imported post

I wish that they would require LEO's to get a 2 year degree in college with a strong focus on the State Consitution.
Good suggestion, although the experts (SCOTUS) often render 5/4 decisions and they have more than a two year degree. What's up with that?

Dave Workman

imported post

erps wrote:
I wish that they would require LEO's to get a 2 year degree in college with a strong focus on the State Consitution.
Good suggestion, although the experts (SCOTUS) often render 5/4 decisions and they have more than a two year degree. What's up with that?

Erps:

Don't confuse SCOTUS with the state supreme court.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I probably shouldn't be talking about this on an open forum about starting a group at the college, I am sure there will be some anti-gun maniac who would love to stir the pot on that one.

Hammer

imported post

erps wrote:
Not hard to figure- I taught at a college. It is where you exchange common sense for knowledge.
I taught trades, so no affiliation with the oxymoron "higher learning"

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Hammer wrote:
Not hard to figure- I taught at a college. It is where you exchange common sense for knowledge.
I taught trades, so no affiliation with the oxymoron "higher learning"

What I loved about my Constitutional Law course was that the instructor is a defense attorney and he would say to the potential LEO's...."you better make sure you are obeying laws and cases when you are investigating, arresting and filling out police reports because attorneys like me will be there picking your report apart piece by piece to get it thrown out."

Common sense and knowledge are two different things. one can have common sense without knowledge. Know can have knowledge without common sense. One can acquire knowldge but common sense is innate (you either got it or you don't). All the common sense in the world means nothing with regards to the Constitution if you do not have knowledge of the Costitution. Unless you are arguing that the Constitution is common knowledge, which we all know that it isn't.

Bersa.380

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
What I loved about my Constitutional Law course was that the instructor is a defense attorney and he would say to the potential LEO's...."you better make sure you are obeying laws and cases when you are investigating, arresting and filling out police reports because attorneys like me will be there picking your report apart piece by piece to get it thrown out."

Common sense and knowledge are two different things. one can have common sense without knowledge. Know can have knowledge without common sense. One can acquire knowldge but common sense is innate (you either got it or you don't). All the common sense in the world means nothing with regards to the Constitution if you do not have knowledge of the Costitution. Unless you are arguing that the Constitution is common knowledge, which we all know that it isn't.

I really like what you have to say here ...... (poking fun here) If you're going to be a Lawyer learn to spell
:D

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
I really like what you have to say here ...... (poking fun here) If you're going to be a Lawyer learn to spell
:D
That is exactly what my constitutional law instructor said to me;) I really should run all my responses through checker.

killchain

imported post

My college instructor is a former officer. He seems well balanced.

My Dad was almost tickled to death when I finally bought my first gun. He almost pulled me by the ear to get my CPL, and at the time he was wearing a badge.

I thought it was kind of cool.