• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC law on Vegas Public Transportaion?

RM_Loden

imported post

NEVADA STATE LAWS ON BUS CONDUCT:
Under Nevada Revised Statute 200.471, a person who commits an assault upon a transit operator with a deadly weapon or presents the ability to use a deadly weapon is subject to

Under Nevada Revised Statute 200.481, a person who commits a battery upon a transit operator is subject to imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than two (2) years and a maximum term of not more than ten (10) years, a fine of not more than $10,000, or both fine and imprisonment.

So is merely stepping onto a bus with a OC weapon enough to warrant imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than one (1) year and a maximum term of not more than six (6) years, or a fine of not more than $5,000, or both fine and imprisonment?
If that is the case I should have been in jail for years and years, being an armed security officer at the age of 18, and not being able to carry concealed until 21 I rode the bus for almost 2 years to and from work everyday with an OC weapon. Perhaps nothing was said because I was in uniform most of the time, or the driver didn't notice.

I just had a friend and co-worker call the RTC (Regional Transportation Commission) to inquire the specific regulations on carrying on a bus. The representative that he spoke with informed him that he must produce ID and his gun registration card and that he shows that the weapon is unloaded. None of these policies are stated on the RTC website, and there are not laws governing the ability to carry, just the punishment if the driver has APPREHENSION that they might incur harm.

So how do you have the freedom to travel when your freedom rests entirely in the drivers perception of a threat?

NRS 200.471 Assault: Definitions; penalties. [Effective July 1, 2010.]
1. As used in this section:
(a) “Assault” means:
(1) Unlawfully attempting to use physical force against another person; or
(2) Intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of immediate bodily harm.

Apprehension
 /ˌæp
clip_image003.png
rɪˈhɛn
clip_image002.png
ʃən/ Show Spelled[ap-ri-hen-shuh
clip_image005.png
n] Show IPA
–noun
anticipation of adversity or misfortune; suspicion or fear of future trouble or evil.
the faculty or act of apprehending, esp. intuitive understanding; perception on a direct and immediate level.
acceptance of or receptivity to information without passing judgment on its validity, often without complete comprehension.
a view, opinion, or idea on any subject.
the act of arresting; seizure.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We've had this discussion here before. Search the forum and you'll find the old topics. Many on here have OC'd on the CAT bus.

OC is no more threatening than if you bring a backpack on board (which could have a gun, bomb, chemical, or just really heavy with books that could be pretty painful).

Or yourself. I rode the bus one day and some jackass starts puking everywhere. Who knows what kind of diseases I might have been exposed to?

Not to mention, OC on a bus is no more "reasonable apprehension" of harm than OC walking down the street.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

RM_Loden wrote:
Under Nevada Revised Statute 200.471, a person who commits an assault upon a transit operator with a deadly weapon or presents the ability to use a deadly weapon is subject to
That seems to be worded in a misleading way.

The actual NRS says:

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Nrs/NRS-200.html#NRS200Sec471
(a) “Assault” means:
(1) Unlawfully attempting to use physical force against another person; or

(2) Intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of immediate bodily harm.
2. A person convicted of an assault shall be punished:
(a) If paragraph (c) or (d) does not apply to the circumstances of the crime and the assault is not made with the use of a deadly weapon or the present ability to use a deadly weapon, for a misdemeanor.
(b) If the assault is made with the use of a deadly weapon or the present ability to use a deadly weapon, for a category B felony by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 6 years, or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or by both fine and imprisonment.

The actual text says that it becomes a bigger violation when you commit assault, if the assault either involves using a deadly weapon or having the present ability to use a deadly weapon. Merely having a deadly weapon present and the ability to use it is not a problem absent committing assault.