• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me interpret this law

exp15

imported post

Hi,

I was reading the law and it says belowthan an emancipated person or person under 18 can carry a gun if accpompanied by a parent, guardian, hunter safety instructor, grandparents, and so on.

Does this mean that you can carry under 18 (OC or CC) if accompanied by a parent? Or is this strictly for hunting hunting?

Thanks in advance!

The full link is right here:

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/p/gunlaws_az.htm

• An unemancipated person under 18 not accompanied by a parent, grandparent, guardian, or a certified hunter safety instructor or certified firearms safety instructor acting with consent of the minor's parent, grandparent or guardian shall not carry or possess on his person, within his immediate control, or in or on a means of transportation a firearm in any place open to the public or on any street, highway, or on private property, except private property owned or leased by the minor or the minor's parent, grandparent, or guardian.

• This prohibition does not apply to a person between 14 and 17 engaged in lawful hunting, marksmanship practice, transportation of an unloaded firearm for the purpose of hunting or, between 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m., transportation of an unloaded firearm for the purpose of marksmanship at a range or other area where the discharge of firearms is not prohibited.

r6-rider

imported post

i looked over that law a million times when i was 17. what i was told by people here was, it only applies to minors that are actually in the act of hunting or target shooting, and cannot just OC around town.

me812

imported post

Here is the relevant statute:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03111.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

It would seem to me that the statute specifically exempts emancipated juveniles from restrictions on other juveniles, ie., according to state law it's legal for an emancipated juvenile to carry a gun the same way as an adult.

However, there's something interesting in the state preemption statute:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03108.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

The preemption statute allows political subdivisions to regulate the carrying of guns by minors, and says absolutely nothing about emancipation. So I guess it's theoretically possible that one of your subdivisions regulates the carrying of firearms by minors--even emancipated ones--although I'm not aware of any such laws actually existing.