• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Found this while arguing on another forum

Bebog

imported post

Well, this is one of those infamous "blue laws" used to enforce religious view on the people. Most everyone recognizes the ones dealing with alcohol sales on Sunday that are still enforced most places. Those of us a little older remember when there wasn't a store in sight open on Sundays (and it was not that long ago). This was designed to "keep things quite" while people were at church. As a matter of fact, this particular law was up for repeal during the huge sporting changes put through last July and one of the "concessions" being passed around was to allow hunting after 1pm. This would prevent disruption on church services.

I don't think they ended up repealing the law with the July changes but if anyone else knows better, please correct me!

Here is the statute:

N.C.G.S.A. § 103-2

North Carolina General Statutes
Chapter 103. Sundays, Holidays and Special Days (Refs & Annos)
§ 103-2. Hunting on Sunday

If any person shall, except in defense of his own property, hunt on Sunday, having with him a shotgun, rifle, or pistol, he shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor. Provided, that the provisions hereof shall not be applicable to military reservations, the jurisdiction of which is exclusively in the federal government, or to field trials authorized by the Wildlife Resources Commission. Wildlife protectors are granted authority to enforce the provisions of this section.

edited: removed false comment related to a separate statute due to my mis-reading

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interesting...

Perhaps it was to keep things quiet while people were in church or simply a day that some group of people felt no one should be hunting on along with many other things. I know of quite a few people that believe doing anything but going to church and doing basic family oriented things is not traditional and they look down upon it.

I can see clearly though, like it were yesterday.....

Cletus was getting baptized down at the lake on Sunday and what do you know, right as the preacher man dunked him in the water, there was a loud bomb and someone yelled "Hell yeah! I GOT IT!" Well, the commotion didn't sit well with the preacher and he fell over right on top of Cletus and they both almost drowned in three feet of water!

CarryOpen

imported post

I think that it was only recently that they allowed any hunting on Sunday. For folks like me who can't take the week off, that really limits any hunting we might do.

Bebog

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
I can see clearly though, like it were yesterday.....

Cletus was getting baptized down at the lake on Sunday and what do you know, right as the preacher man dunked him in the water, there was a loud bomb and someone yelled "Hell yeah! I GOT IT!" Well, the commotion didn't sit well with the preacher and he fell over right on top of Cletus and they both almost drowned in three feet of water!
That's funny right there Tek!! :lol:

I also remember those days growing up when Sunday was truly a time of rest and relaxation with the family and church. Lots of things were different then, and a lot of them for the better (and I am only 36). The fact that shops were closed was no problem because that gave us a chance to stroll downtown and "window shop" (while exercising and talking to one another) Other times were spent at the grandparents sitting on the porch swing and singing old gospel hymns. Yea, it is not just about religion but more a way of life that has almost faded away. A time when at least one time a week, you did not work, you first and foremost went to church and then you spent time with the family and usually that included extended family, and mainly relaxed and got caught up with each other.

Oh well, I apologize for leading us astray of the topic of OC and down the "back then" trail. I will try to jump back on topic now.

To try to bring it back on track a little, both sets of grandparents kept shotguns and rifles in the house. Sometimes propped in a corner and always a few on a gun rack. It never crossed my or my sister's or any of our cousin's minds to pick one up and "play" with it. We learned VERY early on that guns and "play" do not go together and unless with an adult, they were hands off.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think it is assanine that there is a law prohibiting hunting on Sundays. Most people are in church for a couple of hours, some throughout the day. You can hunt any other day of the week, a time when people are in school and at work or playing the park or whatever. What's so special about Sunday? Jeeze, it's like the prohibition of purchasing liquor (from ABC) on Sunday or stores closing early, or being completely closed on Sunday. I think it's all poppycock. I believe there are some places in this state that probably require business to only be open (if at all) between certain times.

Blue laws are ridiculous and outdated in my humble opinion. If you want rest and reconciliation on Sunday, fine, but let's not limit everyone else.

SMW

imported post

Bebog, I grew up (I'm only 19 so I've been told I'm still growing up) knowing that guns were strictly hands off unless my dad or stepdad was around. We had a neighbor that my 9 year old brother played with that shouldn't have been allowed to look at a gun, much less hold one, and we constantly worried about my brother going to the kid's house. My brother is being raised like I was and knows to never touch a gun at either our house or anywhere else unless he has permission from my stepdad or a grandparent.

Bebog

imported post

Lawmaker wrote:
I dont see it ever going back to the way it was. Do you feel that this law should be left on the books?
Sorry, I guess my reminiscing confused the topic. I was referring to a time when things would slow down and families would spend time together, but did not mean to say I agreed with the laws being in place.

As for the blue laws in general, heck no. What gives the government the power to legislate such things as how a person spends their time? Nothing! As far as spending time together with the family, what better bonding experience than hunting? Lessons on firearms, safety, survival, getting your own food, the cycle of life, where food actually comes from, the beauty of nature.

Heck, as far as that goes, if I want to go shopping and buy a 12 pack and get sloppy drunk on Sunday that should be my right, what business is it of the government?

I think the governments (local, state and federal) have been overstepping their bounds since before any of us can remember. Problem is I think it has been on a fast track to ridiculousness for years now and getting worst.

Of course, if you combine the drinking, guns, church and horses all together......well I might agree that there is something that should be illegal there! :lol:

Man with holstered gun rides horse to church
Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/watercooler/ci_14455847#ixzz0j8TqKpXJ

bwhunter65

imported post

It is illegal to hunt on Sundays with a gun that is a state law if I am correcet. You could hunt with a bow but the wildlife people made that illegal in the hunting regs if they would change the rules we could hunt Sundays with a bow. They were going to change them but they had people protest it so that was stopped

NCBobD

imported post

Here's an observation that may not be too popular, but it is what it is. The no hunting on Sunday law is something a lot of non hunting nature lovers support. It's the one day during hunting season that these folks feel comfy hiking and viewing wildlife without need to wear blaze orange clothing. It is an arguement I've heard made several times. As a nature & wildlife photographer that owns and carries guns and used to hunt, it doesn't particularly bother me that much when hunters are in the forest. But I do understand the other's point of view as well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NCBobD wrote:
Here's an observation that may not be too popular, but it is what it is. The no hunting on Sunday law is something a lot of non hunting nature lovers support. It's the one day during hunting season that these folks feel comfy hiking and viewing wildlife without need to wear blaze orange clothing. It is an arguement I've heard made several times. As a nature & wildlife photographer that owns and carries guns and used to hunt, it doesn't particularly bother me that much when hunters are in the forest. But I do understand the other's point of view as well.
Welcome NCBobD - do you OC when you walk in the woods and fields?

Yata hey

NCBobD

imported post

Depending on the season, yes and no. OC or CC dependant upon the situation.

Grapeshot wrote:
NCBobD wrote:
Welcome NCBobD - do you OC when you walk in the woods and fields?

Yata hey