• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toledo Blade editors wish recent robbery victims had been unarmed...

PavePusher

imported post

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7189

"The Ohio media's opposition stance on changing laws to protect innocent people was inexplicable, until now. In the wake of two separate incidents recently where Toledo retail store workers used firearms to defend against armed robbers, The Toledo Blade has finally come right out and said that society would be a better place if criminals, not honest people, had the upper hand in an armed encounter."

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100319/OPINION02/3190305

"Twice in just the past few days, seemingly bad guys were shot while allegedly attempting to rob Toledo stores. Although we're glad the robberies were thwarted and thankful no innocents were injured, we're not sure that store owners and employees defending themselves with deadly force is an absolute good."

Wow. That is a newspaper that deserves to go out of business.

Crossposted to News.

JSlack7851

imported post

When are these news papers/ media outlets going to stop sticking up for BG's using weapons to rob, cheat, and steal. I can't believe the Toledo Blade. When a man puts a gun to someones head he deserves what he gets. Wait till the author to get a gun put to his head.

Deanimator

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
... seemingly bad guys were shot while allegedly attempting to rob Toledo stores.
Are these people on drugs? Perhaps, maybe, in the newspaper's eyes, these might possibly have been total innocent strangers shot for no reason whatsoever?

No, their sympathies lie with the PERPETRATORS of violent crime, NOT the victims.

They want robbers, rapists, violent racist skinheads, gaybashers, etc to be safe at ALL costs, regardless of the harm to the victims.

JSlack7851

imported post

Deanimator wrote:

No, their sympathies lie with the PERPETRATORS of violent crime, NOT the victims.
They want robbers, rapists, violent racist skinheads, gaybashers, etc to be safe at ALL costs, regardless of the harm to the victims.
And just where would their head lines be with out such violent crime? Maybe If they didn't encourage such crime.......

Deanimator

imported post

JSlack7851 wrote:
Deanimator wrote:

And just where would their head lines be with out such violent crime? Maybe If they didn't encourage such crime.......
"Rapist Shot by Victim!" is a great headline.

It's not the headline that's the problem to them. They don't want there to BE any defensive gun uses to put in the headlines.

slabside

imported post

hey, let's lay off 125 cops and see what happens to violent crimes! It's bad enough that toledo leo's are getting shot at left and right...what, are we giving the 'bad guys' less targets? The way I see it, the more of us that oc in Toledo, the less likely it is that someone will carry out their intention to rob the store. Personally, I O.C. my 1911, without one in the chamber, and CC my PT140 racked and ready to go...if I'm forced at gunpoint to give up my primary, you'd better believe I'll unload a 10-clip to get it back!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

2ndammendment wrote:
hey, let's lay off 125 cops and see what happens to violent crimes! It's bad enough that toledo leo's are getting shot at left and right...what, are we giving the 'bad guys' less targets? The way I see it, the more of us that oc in Toledo, the less likely it is that someone will carry out their intention to rob the store. Personally, I O.C. my 1911, without one in the chamber, and CC my PT140 racked and ready to go...if I'm forced at gunpoint to give up my primary, you'd better believe I'll unload a 10-clip to get it back!
Please reconsider how you carry your 1911. It was designed to carried in condition 1 and modern improvements only added to the safety redundancy.

Why would you carry your PT140 "ready to go" but not your 1911 the same way?

Yata hey

The Wolfhound

imported post

"Rapist Shot by Victim!" is a great headline.

True, but it removes the "problem" that can keep a paper thrashing about for days or weeks if a rapist is on the loose. A dead perp is bad for their business model.

slabside

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
2ndammendment wrote:
Please reconsider how you carry your 1911. It was designed to carried in condition 1 and modern improvements only added to the safety redundancy.

Yata hey
My pt-140 is D.A. and I only have a CC holster for it. Althoughthe 1911 is designed for safety with thumb and grip safeties, I don't like having the hammer back, and we all know how unsafe it is to decock it. I personally feel that the sight of the 1911 is typically deterrant-enough. I do, however practice the "45" drill often.

from holster, no round in the chamber...the "45" drill (meaning 4 sets of 5) is as follows: 5 shots from 5 feet in a 5" circle in 5 seconds.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

2ndammendment wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
2ndammendment wrote:

Yata hey
My pt-140 is D.A. and I only have a CC holster for it. Althoughthe 1911 is designed for safety with thumb and grip safeties, I don't like having the hammer back, and we all know how unsafe it is to decock it. I personally feel that the sight of the 1911 is typically deterrant-enough. I do, however practice the "45" drill often.

from holster, no round in the chamber...the "45" drill (meaning 4 sets of 5) is as follows: 5 shots from 5 feet in a 5" circle in 5 seconds.
Well, I'm a couple of decades older than you, and have been carrying a 1911 since 1974. First in the US Army, then as a civilian security officer. I still carry one today, and except for my time in the Army, my 1911 is always in condition 1. That's the way Saint John (M. Browning) meant for it to be carried, so that's the way I carry it. In all my years of carrying a 1911 in condition 1, I've never had it go off, except when I meant for it to.

Besides, I always like the look I get from younger cops when they see my 1911 and say "Oh my gawd, it's cocked too!!" ;)

slabside

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
2ndammendment wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
2ndammendment wrote:

Yata hey

Well, I'm a couple of decades older than you, and have been carrying a 1911 since 1974. First in the US Army, then as a civilian security officer. I still carry one today, and except for my time in the Army, my 1911 is always in condition 1. That's the way Saint John (M. Browning) meant for it to be carried, so that's the way I carry it. In all my years of carrying a 1911 in condition 1, I've never had it go off, except when I meant for it to.

Besides, I always like the look I get from younger cops when they see my 1911 and say "Oh my gawd, it's cocked too!!" ;)

I have, in fact reconsidered how I carry my 1911, and do now OC in C1. The looks haven't changed (shock and whispers) except for when I OC in my shoulder rig...the looks triple. I truly don't carry my shoulder rig for the attention...oh, okay maybe just a little...but my slide keeps getting scratched by the rivet on my jeans when I carry it on my hip :X!

Iused to deliver material toa guy who ran a construction crew...His guys called him "big gay al" You wouldn't happen to be that guy, would you? big jobs were in Brighton and Novi....