Thread: Toledo Blade editors wish recent robbery victims had been unarmed...

Post imported post

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7189

"The Ohio media's opposition stance on changing laws to protect innocent people was inexplicable, until now. In the wake of two separate incidents recently where Toledo retail store workers used firearms to defend against armed robbers, The Toledo Blade has finally come right out and said that society would be a better place if criminals, not honest people, had the upper hand in an armed encounter."

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...NION02/3190305

"Twice in just the past few days, seemingly bad guys were shot while allegedly attempting to rob Toledo stores. Although we're glad the robberies were thwarted and thankful no innocents were injured, we're not sure that store owners and employees defending themselves with deadly force is an absolute good."

Wow. That is a newspaper that deserves to go out of business.

Crossposted to Ohio.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

PavePusher wrote:
    http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...NION02/3190305

"Twice in just the past few days, seemingly bad guys were shot while allegedly attempting to rob Toledo stores. Although we're glad the robberies were thwarted and thankful no innocents were injured, we're not sure that store owners and employees defending themselves with deadly force is an absolute good."

Wow. That is a newspaper that deserves to go out of business.

Crossposted to Ohio.
    "We're not sure" is the operative phrase there. Meaning, they cannot come to decision, or incapable of making a decision, despite the rap sheets of the bad guys. You will meet people like this. No matter how convincing the evidence, they just cannotmake a decision that judges something or someone.

Their problem is that millions of other people across history have figured it out and been able to come to a decision, namely that lethal force is justified during an armed robbery.

In the editorial now posted, they even say that robbery is not a capital offense. As though the victim is supposed to wait until he is killedbefore he can use deadly force.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Newspapers are dying fast, and this is why. Who really believes that garbage other than the bradys'
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    "We're not sure" is the operative phrase there. Meaning, they cannot come to decision, or incapable of making a decision, despite the rap sheets of the bad guys.
    However they CAN instantly come to a decision regarding the VICTIMS of these violent crimes. They're "wrong" for defending themselves and should allow themselves to be robbed, raped or murdered.

They have a sick fascination with and envy for the profoundly evil. Robbers, rapists and serial killers do the things about which they can only fantasize. Their sympathies like with the victimizer, NEVER the victim, ESPECIALLY when the victim fights back.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

This type of story is not the least bit surprising to me as a former Ohioan and a University of Toledo graduate. While I realize that not all Ohioans have this mindset, it is pervasive enough that I'd rather not deal with the crummy firearm laws of Ohio and not have to think of raising kids in an environment where clear cut self defense including the use of deadly forceis a questionable action by many in the populace.

I did note that the author couldn't be bothered with including their name for the story. Further, there is no place for comments to respond to this tripe.

Post imported post

jmelvin wrote:
    This type of story is not the least bit surprising to me as a former Ohioan and a University of Toledo graduate. While I realize that not all Ohioans have this mindset, it is pervasive enough that I'd rather not deal with the crummy firearm laws of Ohio and not have to think of raising kids in an environment where clear cut self defense including the use of deadly forceis a questionable action by many in the populace.

I did note that the author couldn't be bothered with including their name for the story. Further, there is no place for comments to respond to this tripe.
    Actually, that attitude is quite rare here these days. A while ago, a little moron named Arthur Buford tried to rob a guy on his own front lawn and got shot to death for it. His mutant family and "posse" got in a high dudgeon about it, damaging the property. Much to their shock and horror, the overwhelming reaction in the community was "If you don't want to get shot, don't try to rob people." Not only that, but off duty Cleveland cops and the NAACP took turns guarding the property.

There is vanishingly little sympathy in Ohio for violent criminals these days. In fact, we're quite prone to shooting them.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

One more reason to live in Virginia where common sense takes a front seat to such ignorance.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    It's not this type of criminal the 2nd amendment alludes to, but the class of criminal who would act under the color of law.
    So you are saying that the 2nd Amendment does NOT confirm the individual right to self-defense from other than the government?

There are many here that understand/believe the 2A does confirm (not allude to) the RKBA in more than that singular aspect.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    It's not this type of criminal the 2nd amendment alludes to, but the class of criminal who would act under the color of law.
    So you are saying that the 2nd Amendment does NOT confirm the individual right to self-defense from other than the government?

There are many here that understand/believe the 2A does confirm (not allude to) the RKBA in more than that singular aspect.

Yata hey
    NOW, you're just tying to talk logic to him. Good luck with that.

Post imported post

JeepSeller wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
    Its like trying to get a greased pig to speak the truth.

If you can catch him, there is still the language barrier thing.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    JeepSeller wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Yata hey
    MEM has a group of hecklers that follow him around pretending not to know the meaning of his words....

In much the same way that Hunting is not mentioned in the 2A, neither is self-defense. It's not there. It just isn't. This is a simple fact.

It IS, however, a fringe benefit of the primary purpose. If you have arms to combat government, you can ALSO use them to hunt or defend yourself from smaller-scale criminals. In the same way that you have Eyes on the front of your head to see stuff so you don't run into it. You can ALSO use them to stare at boobies... That's not THE reason you have them, but A reason.

Why everyone has to jump down his throat? He's only the troll you pretend he is... I find him more agreeable and rational than most of the rest of the LA posters...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

It is also a simple fact that having the right to bear arms is pretty much an exercise in futility unless you have the right to use them for their designed purpose.

MEM is a debate I will not enter into here.

Yata hey

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

This sounds like something Paul Helmke would write.

snip:
    Instead, it seems to us that when deadly force is used as a first response rather than a last resort, civil society suffers.
    Is it just me or does anyone else wonder who "us" is, the author is referring too? Could it be the publishers of the paper? Or may the author has an imaginary friend.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

snip:
    Instead, it seems to us that when deadly force is used as a first response rather than a last resort, civil society suffers.
    Is it just me or does anyone else wonder who "us" is, the author is referring too? Could it be the publishers of the paper? Or may the author has an imaginary friend.
    I'm still wondering where they get the 'information' that deadly force is used as a primary response? When? Where? Were there a bunch of unicorns and pixies there too? I'm still trying to locate this wonderful, mythical, fairy-tale incident...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Banned

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

snip:
    It's the "editorial we." Some style books call for editorial writers to say "we" when they mean "I" and "us" when they mean "me."

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:

snip:
    It's the "editorial we." Some style books call for editorial writers to say "we" when they mean "I" and "us" when they mean "me."
    It is the empirical form - the queen mum would understand that.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Anybody catch how the article referred to the robbers as "seemingly bad guys"?

"Oh, hes a nice guy to talk to, except when he needs some money. Then he can really seem like a bad guy when he sticks a gun in your face"

I knew a guy who was as honest as the day is long. Come sundown, however, and you needed to lock everything up and nail it down......

Post imported post

I'll bet the robbery victims wish the Toledo Blade editors had been the victims, instead.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

since9 wrote:
    I'll bet the robbery victims wish the Toledo Blade editors had been the victims, instead.
    The criminals (ones that survived) are probably wishing that they had targeted the Toledo Blade editors, too. Would have been safer.

Post imported post

ixtow wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    JeepSeller wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Yata hey
    MEM has a group of hecklers that follow him around pretending not to know the meaning of his words....

In much the same way that Hunting is not mentioned in the 2A, neither is self-defense. It's not there. It just isn't. This is a simple fact.

It IS, however, a fringe benefit of the primary purpose. If you have arms to combat government, you can ALSO use them to hunt or defend yourself from smaller-scale criminals. In the same way that you have Eyes on the front of your head to see stuff so you don't run into it. You can ALSO use them to stare at boobies... That's not THE reason you have them, but A reason.

Why everyone has to jump down his throat? He's only the troll you pretend he is... I find him more agreeable and rational than most of the rest of the LA posters...
    It's like wrestling with a pig in the mud, and arguing with a truck driver, you eventually give up when you figure out they both enjoy it.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
    It's like wrestling with a pig in the mud, and arguing with a truck driver, you eventually give up when you figure out they both enjoy it.
    Easy solution: Ignore the pig, shove the truck driver in the mud, and be done with it. Don't think either would enjoy it.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

since9 wrote:
    KansasMustang wrote:
    Easy solution: Ignore the pig, shove the truck driver in the mud, and be done with it. Don't think either would enjoy it.
    Thanks! I just blew coffee all over my keyboard...