• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why does 3 millimeters of cloth make people go berzerk?

Dianosis

imported post

I estimate that the average good shirt or pair of jeans is roughly 3 millimeters thick. Lets assume this measurement is also true for a sheet.

Now, lets imagine we are walking down a path and we see a dangerous landmine on the side of the road. Now we know that if we step on the dangerous landmine it's capable of doing great harm. So lets take our afore mentioned sheet and carefully place it over the landmine. Did it now just become less deadly because we cannot see it? Now that it's covered and we can't see it, did it magically become less lethal if armed? We may have made ourselves feel alittle better because now we see a sheet instead of a landmine. 3 millimeters of cloth have created an illusion, denying the viewer of the truth, regardless if you step on the sheet or the landmine, the result is the same.

I guess what I'm trying to point out in my crude example is this. What is the difference in the "potential threat" of my firearm when I carry it open and when it is only covered by my 3 millimeter thick shirt???

Absolutely nothing.

It's the exact same gun! My 3 millimeter shirt does nothing to change my rate of fire, muzzle velocity, magazine capacity, or "lethality". My 230 grain Golden Saber still mushrooms whether I draw it from underneath my shirt, from my waistband or straight from my holster.

Maybe I should open carry most of the gun and just cover the barrel with my shirt so no one sees where those nasty bullets come from. So when I hear those words, "I'd just stick to conceal carry if I were you" and "If I saw that weapon on your hip, I'd draw down on you and put your face in the asphalt!" I can't help but think, wow, my magical 3 millimeter shirt makes everyone feel so much better...

Superlite27

imported post

Sheets are a bad idea.

Say you were walking down the sidewalk and came across a sheet laying next to it.

Hmmmm. Look, a sheet.

A curious person might be inclined to kick it to find out what's underneath. This would be bad. Wouldn't it be much safer to label the sheet: CAUTION! There is a landmine under this sheet!"?

Since you pointed out the similarities between a sheet covering a landmine and a sheet covering a handgun, I propose a similar idea for this, as well.

Why don't folks in states with no legal open carry wear shirts saying:

See! My lawfully carried firearm is properly concealed!

If it is completely covered, it would fit the definition of reasonably concealed, wouldn't it?This would also be a great shirt for those who are unarmed. Imagine the fiasco of law enforcement trying to illegally search a person wearing this and not finding anything. Can we say, "4th Amendment violation"? Just the fact that they had to search you would demonstrate that any firearm found would fit snugly into the "reasonably concealed" category. If it wasn't concealed, why'd they have to search? Imagine searching 10 people wearing these shirts and not finding anything, and then, after finding a concealed weapon on person #11, trying to arrest for not concealing. If it wasn't reasonably concealed, why'd ya search ten other people?

buster81

imported post

Well, it's actually pretty easy to understand. If they can't see the item they are afraid of, it's easy to pretend it isn't there. Remember, non of these people want to do anything that actually provides safety, they want to do things that provide the illusion of safety. This makes them feel all warm and snuggly.

I'm sure every one of them knows, somewhere in their feeble little brains, that someone they encounter on the street, in Walmart, in Fivebucks, etc has a concealed gun. It is easy for them to go on with their day not knowing who has the scary item because they don't have to deal with it.

When you wear a gun openly, they are forced to deal with their anxieties and the associated defense mechanisms all at once. It's too much for their heads. Much too much.

Ruger9mm

imported post

Open carry reminds them that they are unable to defend themselves. They don't like to be reminded that evil exists and that they are vulnerable.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

For the guys a shirt that says "I have a gun" with an arrow pointing down. "Your honor, that police officer sexually assaulted me and said he wanted to see my pecker! He lifted my shirt and pulled open the front of my pants! I feel violated! :X"

OCforAll

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

Not to mention that a cop couldn't get you for not alerting that that you are CC. Must-notify statutes do not mandate a "verbal" declaration.

:cool:

Broondog

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

i like that shirt idea so i went to http://www.cafepress.com to design one. instead i started looking at some of the shirts they currently had available and found these that might be pertinent.

http://www.cafepress.com/+a_good_little_victim_dark_tshirt,290885992

]http://www.cafepress.com/cp/moredetails.aspx?showBleed=false&ProductNo=290885992','height=610,width=650,scrollbars=1')]
watermark.aspx
[/url]

http://www.cafepress.com/+need_a_gun_womens_light_tshirt,122238103

]http://www.cafepress.com/cp/moredetails.aspx?showBleed=false&ProductNo=122238103','height=610,width=650,scrollbars=1')]
watermark.aspx
[/url]

http://www.cafepress.com/+criminals_prefer_dark_tshirt,128508783

]http://www.cafepress.com/cp/moredetails.aspx?showBleed=false&ProductNo=128508783','height=610,width=650,scrollbars=1')]
128508783v24_480x480_Front_Color-Black.jpg
[/url]

http://www.cafepress.com/+lawabiding_dark_tshirt,374698750

]http://www.cafepress.com/cp/moredetails.aspx?showBleed=false&ProductNo=374698750','height=610,width=650,scrollbars=1')]
374698750v11_480x480_Front_Color-Navy.jpg
[/url]

many, many more can be found at http://shop.cafepress.com/handgun

now i just have to decide if i want to 'build' a shirt or buy a 'pre-built' one! :cool:

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

How about a dictionary entry on the back of the shirt

Main Entry: de-ter
Pronunciation: di-ˈtər, dē-
Function: transitive verb[/i]
Inflected Form(s): de·terred[/b]; de·ter·ring[/b]
Etymology: Latin deterrēre,[/i] from de-[/i] + terrēre[/i] to frighten
Date: circa 1547
1[/b] :[/b] to turn aside, discourage, or prevent from acting

And something like opencarry.org or armed or something on the front

others,

I carry a handgun. Maybe it's concealed, maybe it's not.

I am armed. The State requires I conceal my handgun underthis shirt.

protias

imported post

Duh, out of sight, out of mind. Don't you know that if you don't see something you are perfectly safe? :banghead:

groats

imported post

protias wrote:
Duh, out of sight, out of mind.  Don't you know that if you don't see something you are perfectly safe? :banghead:

It's probably not at all PC to say this, but isn't this problem far more prevalent in the female population than the male? I think it goes back to the time we all lived in caves. The caveman knew the woods were full of hungry critters, and had to be ready to respond appropriately. The cavewoman - well, as long as there weren't any dangerous critters in the cave, she was ok.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Because hate used to hide under sheets, too.

Now it is out in the open, calling itself things like the Million Mom March and The Violence Policy Center.

Now that they no longer have to hide their faces, they want to make sure their opposition does.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I estimate that the average good shirt or pair of jeans is roughly 3 millimeters thick. Lets assume this measurement is also true for a sheet.

Now, lets imagine we are walking down a path and we see a dangerous landmine on the side of the road. Now we know that if we step on the dangerous landmine it's capable of doing great harm. So lets take our afore mentioned sheet and carefully place it over the landmine. Did it now just become less deadly because we cannot see it? Now that it's covered and we can't see it, did it magically become less lethal if armed? We may have made ourselves feel alittle better because now we see a sheet instead of a landmine. 3 millimeters of cloth have created an illusion, denying the viewer of the truth, regardless if you step on the sheet or the landmine, the result is the same.

I guess what I'm trying to point out in my crude example is this. What is the difference in the "potential threat" of my firearm when I carry it open and when it is only covered by my 3 millimeter thick shirt???

Absolutely nothing.

It's the exact same gun! My 3 millimeter shirt does nothing to change my rate of fire, muzzle velocity, magazine capacity, or "lethality". My 230 grain Golden Saber still mushrooms whether I draw it from underneath my shirt, from my waistband or straight from my holster.

Maybe I should open carry most of the gun and just cover the barrel with my shirt so no one sees where those nasty bullets come from. So when I hear those words, "I'd just stick to conceal carry if I were you" and "If I saw that weapon on your hip, I'd draw down on you and put your face in the asphalt!" I can't help but think, wow, my magical 3 millimeter shirt makes everyone feel so much better...

It's the appearance that the cover garment gives to the general public and particularly the uninformed sheeple that wish to remain ignorant to 2A. That cover garment is enough piece of mind for them as it does not draw attention.

I know, it doesn't make sense at all. It's just how things are.

Example: If I showed up at your doorstep unannounced with an AR-15 hanging from a ambidextrous single point sling, fully loaded tac-vest, pistol in a leg holster, and an ear piece would you become a bit nervous if it was obvious that I wasn't in Law Enforcement? How about if I walked into a WM or other place of business right behind you and you didn't realize I was there until you were inside?

That seems to be the mentality of the sheeple. We're all carrying AR's and fully loaded tac-vests...though we're clearly not.

Last edited: