• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why does 3 millimeters of cloth make people go berzerk?

Anthony_I_Am

ROFLMAO..........I can't breath........I can't breath......this is some funny ****.

watermark.aspx

+1

+1

Yell yeah!

Don Tomas

I estimate that the average good shirt or pair of jeans is roughly 3 millimeters thick. Lets assume this measurement is also true for a sheet.

Now, lets imagine we are walking down a path and we see a dangerous landmine on the side of the road. Now we know that if we step on the dangerous landmine it's capable of doing great harm. So lets take our afore mentioned sheet and carefully place it over the landmine. Did it now just become less deadly because we cannot see it? Now that it's covered and we can't see it, did it magically become less lethal if armed? We may have made ourselves feel alittle better because now we see a sheet instead of a landmine. 3 millimeters of cloth have created an illusion, denying the viewer of the truth, regardless if you step on the sheet or the landmine, the result is the same.

I guess what I'm trying to point out in my crude example is this. What is the difference in the "potential threat" of my firearm when I carry it open and when it is only covered by my 3 millimeter thick shirt???

Absolutely nothing.

It's the exact same gun! My 3 millimeter shirt does nothing to change my rate of fire, muzzle velocity, magazine capacity, or "lethality". My 230 grain Golden Saber still mushrooms whether I draw it from underneath my shirt, from my waistband or straight from my holster.

Maybe I should open carry most of the gun and just cover the barrel with my shirt so no one sees where those nasty bullets come from. So when I hear those words, "I'd just stick to conceal carry if I were you" and "If I saw that weapon on your hip, I'd draw down on you and put your face in the asphalt!" I can't help but think, wow, my magical 3 millimeter shirt makes everyone feel so much better...

The difference is that in your example, the person observing has firsthand knowledge that a landmine is present. The argument for CCW and against OC is that, there is no firsthand knowledge or any observable landmine present,
therefore the landmine must not exist. If the landmine doesn't exist then there's no reason to be afraid.

Last edited:

KRM59

That is so true......most of the sheep we can people have for so long been bain washed into thinking a Gun is BAD it will hurt you, and they do not want to see it.( thinking that makes them safer) but not one of them have ever stoped for a moment and thought...each and everyone one of there fibble lives have been saved by a weapon at some point by someone in some way !!!

Well, it's actually pretty easy to understand. If they can't see the item they are afraid of, it's easy to pretend it isn't there. Remember, non of these people want to do anything that actually provides safety, they want to do things that provide the illusion of safety. This makes them feel all warm and snuggly.

I'm sure every one of them knows, somewhere in their feeble little brains, that someone they encounter on the street, in Walmart, in Fivebucks, etc has a concealed gun. It is easy for them to go on with their day not knowing who has the scary item because they don't have to deal with it.

When you wear a gun openly, they are forced to deal with their anxieties and the associated defense mechanisms all at once. It's too much for their heads. Much too much.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Why do I carry a gun? Because I'd look really stupid cowering in the booth of a restaurant as a robber put a bullet between my eyes...

Cloth, smoth. Go natural. :)

Last edited:

XD40coyote

Yes but some antis will just say that your penis should also be covered. LOL- you know how they have that fixation with that male body part...( male antis must be REALLY insecure)

To them a gun is like a penis. They don't want to see it in public, and OMG think of the children. It is part of their mental illness, right along with their sociopathic control freak problem.
I like the OP's way of thinking. I think I'll make a shirt that says, "Why cover it?"

ooghost1oo

I estimate that the average good shirt or pair of jeans is roughly 3 millimeters thick. Lets assume this measurement is also true for a sheet.

Now, lets imagine we are walking down a path and we see a dangerous landmine on the side of the road. Now we know that if we step on the dangerous landmine it's capable of doing great harm. So lets take our afore mentioned sheet and carefully place it over the landmine. Did it now just become less deadly because we cannot see it? Now that it's covered and we can't see it, did it magically become less lethal if armed? We may have made ourselves feel alittle better because now we see a sheet instead of a landmine. 3 millimeters of cloth have created an illusion, denying the viewer of the truth, regardless if you step on the sheet or the landmine, the result is the same.

I guess what I'm trying to point out in my crude example is this. What is the difference in the "potential threat" of my firearm when I carry it open and when it is only covered by my 3 millimeter thick shirt???

Absolutely nothing.

It's the exact same gun! My 3 millimeter shirt does nothing to change my rate of fire, muzzle velocity, magazine capacity, or "lethality". My 230 grain Golden Saber still mushrooms whether I draw it from underneath my shirt, from my waistband or straight from my holster.

Maybe I should open carry most of the gun and just cover the barrel with my shirt so no one sees where those nasty bullets come from. So when I hear those words, "I'd just stick to conceal carry if I were you" and "If I saw that weapon on your hip, I'd draw down on you and put your face in the asphalt!" I can't help but think, wow, my magical 3 millimeter shirt makes everyone feel so much better...

So .... ... you want to carry a pistol under a sheet?

;)

since9

Campaign Veteran
protias wrote:

It's probably not at all PC to say this, but isn't this problem far more prevalent in the female population than the male? I think it goes back to the time we all lived in caves. The caveman knew the woods were full of hungry critters, and had to be ready to respond appropriately. The cavewoman - well, as long as there weren't any dangerous critters in the cave, she was ok.

It's not this this comment isn't PC. It's that it is not anthropologically correct.

The adult female in good shape is stronger and more capable than the young teenage pre-puberty male. Furthermore, although it's true your average adult male is stronger than your average adult female, primarily in terms of upper body strength, females remain formidable hunters, and anthropological evidence strongly suggests they shared hunting duties with males.

I run an outdoor adventure group, and there's a good number of females in our group who can backpack carrying 40-50 lbs and give any male in our group a run for their money, either on the trail or on the wrestling mats!

Don't underestimate the "fairer" gender of our species as being frail by any stretch of the imagination. That Victorian mindset is simply incorrect.

Granted, there are some females out there who are indeed frail, whose frames and muscle structure are mere wisps. However, there are some males out there who are quite frail, as well. My point is that there is a lot more overlap in the range of adult body structure than there is any sort of dumbell-shaped (bimodal) distribution.

Back to the OP, I prefer to carry concealed, as that eliminates any discomfort in anyone's mind, and removes any liklihood of running afoul of an overzealous and undertrained LEO.

However, it does take longer for me to draw and fire, should that need ever arise, particularly if I'm carrying in my bookbag, and there's a much greater chance my firearm will hang up on something along the way.

So, if I'm headed to the movies, or shopping during daytime hours, I might OC, I might CC, depending on where I'm headed and why. But if I'm getting gas at a convenience store late at night, I'm definately OC.

Last edited: