• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prosecuter decision in open carry case near

glock23

imported post

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/mar/23/prosecutor-decision-in-open-carry-case-near/

By John Branton
Columbian staff writer

Originally published March 23, 2010 at 7:46 p.m., updated March 23, 2010 at 7:54 p.m.

Vancouver’s city prosecutor says he hopes by Thursday to make a decision in the controversial case of a man whom police ticketed for openly displaying a holstered, loaded gun outside an Albertsons strip mall.

“At this point I want to make sure I have all the information and have reviewed all the relevant case law,” Kevin McClure with the City Attorney’s Office said Tuesday.

McClure said his options are to dismiss the gross-misdemeanor case or send it forward in Clark County District Court.

The defendant, Kurk Robert Kirby, 26, stood outside stores at the strip mall at 5000 E. Fourth Plain Blvd. for 10 to 15 minutes on Friday afternoon, openly displaying his .45-caliber Springfield Armory XP pistol in a holster. A store owner called 911, saying he was concerned for his customers including small children.

Kirby, a Vancouver resident, carried a total of 35 bullets, loaded in the gun and two extra magazines, according to the Vancouver Police Department report.

Although Kirby made no menacing statements or movements, and cooperated with police, officers took his gun as evidence and issued him a ticket alleging he committed the crime of unlawful carrying of a weapon.

On Tuesday, Kirby said he could make no comment, based on the advice of his attorney, Christopher Dumm of Vancouver.

Dumm met with McClure on Tuesday.

Dumm told The Columbian previously that he operates a general criminal practice and has “a strong interest in Second Amendment issues.”

The case generated many comments from the general public -- and has stirred interest in the open-carry movement, which has staged incidents like Kirby’s in several states, including at Starbucks coffee shops in California.

Activists, whose comments can be read at OpenCarry.org, say the practice is supported by laws and the Constitution.

The Washington state law that applies to the Albertsons case is RCW 9.41.270, officials said.

That law says: “It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.”

The text of the entire law, including exceptions such as carrying a firearm in your own home or place of business, can be read at http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270.

John Branton: 360-735-4513 or john. branton@columbian.com.

sirpuma

imported post

I really wish they would quit using the word "displaying". He was not "displaying" his firearm, he was carrying it. If he was displaying it he would have it in his hand.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Boy, just enough slants to not be obviously biased but yet infer something inappropriate...

The defendant, Kurk Robert Kirby, 26...

I am no lawyer, but you aren't a "Defendant" until AFTER you are actually charged are you? Until that point you are just a suspect.

...stood outside stores at the strip mall at 5000 E. Fourth Plain Blvd. for 10 to 15 minutes on Friday afternoon, openly displaying his .45-caliber Springfield Armory XP pistol in a holster. A store owner called 911, saying he was concerned for his customers including small children.

Not "Openly carrying", but "Displaying"....you know, showing it off, looking for attention and such. Do women "display" purses or do they simply carry them? The word choice carries in inference of showing off, that the word "carrying" doesn't .

Kirby, a Vancouver resident, carried a total of 35 bullets, loaded in the gun and two extra magazines, according to the Vancouver Police Department report.

Is there any sort of law about how many bullets one can carry? What is the point of this statement other than to possibly inflame those who have been led to believe that anything over 10 takes you into "Assault Weapon" territory.

Then there is the grammatical issue of the statement- Was the gun loaded with 35 round AND he had two spare magazines (oh my he had 105 bullets!). Or was it a total of 35 between the gun and the two spare magazines. An odd spot for a comma and not real clear, thereby easy to misinterpret.

Although Kirby made no menacing statements or movements, and cooperated with police, officers took his gun as evidence and issued him a ticket alleging he committed the crime of unlawful carrying of a weapon.

He did nothing other than carry, er.. "Display" the gun, and they still took it and arrested him (cite and release). Obviously that means the simple act of carrying, er..."Displaying" a gun is sufficient to allege a violation (or so they would have the readers to believe).

Dumm told The Columbian previously that he operates a general criminal practice and has “a strong interest in Second Amendment issues.”

Left-wing code for "Right wing wacko nut job extremist"...

The case generated many comments from the general public --

But we aren't going to bother noting that the majority of those comments support the man that was arrested (cite and released is still an arrest) and question the possible abuse of authority by the VPD...

and has stirred interest in the open-carry movement, which has staged incidents like Kirby’s in several states, including at Starbucks coffee shops in California.

HERE WE GO! The event was STAGED! he did it for attention. People can't just go about their daily routine and exercise their rights at the same time. Nope, no-sir-ee buddy, if you are exercising a right you must be staging a protest or something.

Activists, whose comments can be read at OpenCarry.org, say the practice is supported by laws and the Constitution.

"ACTIVISTS", not citizens, advocates, sympathizers or anything of the sort only those trouble-making ACTIVISTS would claim the laws and constitution allow such behavior.

(side note- when did being a Constitutionalist become a bad thing??? Isn't that the document that defines our state and federal governments? Shouldn't someone who studies, supports and abides by it's content be welcomed?)

The Washington state law that applies to the Albertsons case is RCW 9.41.270, officials said.

That law says: “It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.”

The text of the entire law, including exceptions such as carrying a firearm in your own home or place of business, can be read at http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270.

More inferences...this behavior is excused in your home or business, but by golly not in public!

I am betting a nickle the prosecutor declines to file charges to make it go away with as little noise (spelled L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y) as possible...

Dave_pro2a

imported post

glock23 wrote:
http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/mar/23/prosecutor-decision-in-open-carry-case-near/

By John Branton
Columbian staff writer

Originally published March 23, 2010 at 7:46 p.m., updated March 23, 2010 at 7:54 p.m.

“At this point I want to make sure I have all the information and have reviewed all the relevant case law,” Kevin McClure with the City Attorney’s Office said Tuesday.

Wait a second. That guy is INSANE! According to Dave Workman, and a few others on this site, a prosecutor decides whether or not he'll file charges based on if there's a protest or not.

They don't decide it on the facts of the case, and established legal precedent.

WTH is Kevin McClure smoking?!?! Workman should set him straight.

1245A Defender

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
I really wish they would quit using the word "displaying". He was not "displaying" his firearm, he was carrying it. If he was displaying it he would have it in his hand.
NO SHiT!! if he displayed it in his hand,, and wasnt covered by the exceptions in 9.41.270,, he would actually be guilty of a crime :banghead:

im starting to wonder if this guy isnt a poster boy for the bradybunch:what:
we were warned not to do any kind of protest, or stand up for this guy :cuss:

it is starting to sound as if this guy was doing his own standing up and protesting on his own :celebrate

im just not sure who is doing the winning or the loosing :uhoh:

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
glock23 wrote:

Wait a second. That guy is INSANE! According to Dave Workman, and a few others on this site, a prosecutor decides whether or not he'll file charges based on if there's a protest or not.

Actually the public outcry is usually the third most important thing they look at. Of course with the right attention and spin, the order of the top three can change...

First and foremost is "Can I win in court or get a plea?" (Cause you is only as good as your last case and you gotta keep your stats up).

Then comes, "Was there a likely violation of law?"

And finally, "What will the public response be?"

Dave_pro2a

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Dave_pro2a wrote:
glock23 wrote:

Actually the public outcry is usually the third most important thing they look at. Of course with the right attention and spin, the order of the top three can change...

First and foremost is "Can I win in court or get a plea?" (Cause you is only as good as your last case and you gotta keep your stats up).

Then comes, "Was there a likely violation of law?"

And finally, "What will the public response be?"

So you're saying that a vocal minority, standing in solidarity, can influence a DA.

Hmmm, maybe that Vancouver picnic isn't such a bad idea ;)

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

amzbrady wrote:
This forum is getting to be like a mobile home park...
This should help clear it up.
Dszpics1.jpg

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

"carried a total of 35 bullets"

Just getting technical, aren't the "bullets" just the projectile part of the round.? Who cares if he was carrying those? What he going to do, throw them at you?:)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
"carried a total of 35 bullets"

Just getting technical, aren't the "bullets" just the projectile part of the round.? Who cares if he was carrying those? What he going to do, throw them at you?:)

Must be a black powder gun!

black-powder-pistol.jpg