• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I spotted a unicorn!

tyguy808

imported post

So, again, I just got back to the boat and this is my first chance to brag about my ventures.I try to spend my time at home with my family, rather than my computer.

Last Friday, the 19th, I drove to the AMPM to get some gas for my mower. As I pull up to the pump I notice a man paying for his gas (or maybe getting a receipt). As I step out of the truck, he turns strong side to me and there it is!!!! A beautiful 1911 and on his weak side, two more magazines. He looks at me as I approach the pay station, strong side to him, he smiles and gives me a little nod. He said nothing to me, he got into his truck and away he went.

If that was one of you, next time say hi!

Side note: I went to the Falcon Productions gun show in Deming this weekend, my first gun show. As I entered, I let the gal letting me in to check my gun and put the strap thingy through the slide. One of the first thing I hear as I enter is "Washington is an Open-Carry State!!!!!":celebrateI stopped and talked to the gentleman that let these words out. He was a nice guy, my wife even enjoyed chatting him a bit. I asked him if he had any pamphlets to hand out, he said no. I had rode with my wife, so had none handy. I found that it was mostly older firearms there, not my style. And the newer guns there seemed a little high priced. I did buy a small cache of ammo.

Thats my adventure home.

-Tyler

tyguy808

imported post

I bought 400 rounds of 9mm FMJ for $90 and 100 rounds of .45 ACP JHP for $40. I also cruised down to Skagit Arms in Burlington and bought 300 more rounds of.45 ACP FMJfor $125 (WAY TOO MUCH).

Bersa.380

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
I bought 400 rounds of 9mm FMJ for $90 and 100 rounds of .45 ACP JHP for $40. I also cruised down to Skagit Arms in Burlington and bought 300 more rounds of.45 ACP FMJfor $125 (WAY TOO MUCH).
I get my ammo (Magtech) at Kesselrings $13.99 a box for my .380 and I think $18.99 for my PX4Storm .40 S&W.

tyguy808

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
I get my ammo (Magtech) at Kesselrings $13.99 a box for my .380 and I think $18.99 for my PX4Storm .40 S&W.

My 45 doesn't like Magtech, for some reason. I bought a box a few weeks ago and had 4 FTE out of the box. I picked up 5 boxes of PMC Bronze and 1 box of Blazer (aluminum). The Blazer was cheap and I wanted to see if my PT145 likes it. I haven't had a chance to try it yet:(.

I do agree that Kesselring's has okay prices, not great, but they always have what I need in stock.

Bersa.380

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
Bersa.380 wrote:

My 45 doesn't like Magtech, for some reason. I bought a box a few weeks ago and had 4 FTE out of the box. I picked up 5 boxes of PMC Bronze and 1 box of Blazer (aluminum). The Blazer was cheap and I wanted to see if my PT145 likes it. I haven't had a chance to try it yet:(.

I do agree that Kesselring's has okay prices, not great, but they always have what I need in stock.

Yup ! ! ! thats a fact !

When I CC my .380 I load Buffalo Bore !

Speer Gold Dots in the Beretta .40 S&W

killchain

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
I know Magtech isn't the best ammo, but my Glock 21 eats it with no problem. (.45 ACP)
ive never heard of a glock that wouldnt eat any kind of shlt that it was fed!!
thats a testimont of there reliabilty!!
Except reloads that blow up the factory barrels... :p

killchain

imported post

killchain wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
I know Magtech isn't the best ammo, but my Glock 21 eats it with no problem. (.45 ACP)
But back on topic:

I saw a Unicorn recently. I was taking my buddy out to shoot his new (read: old as hell) shotgun and I ran across a guy and a woman (I figured his wife) just walking through the desert. I tried to wait until they were a bit away so we wouldn't deafen them.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

killchain wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
I used reloads with my Glock, never blew up the barrel.

Must be some really hot reloads people use with their Glocks then, because I developed a load and once the recoil started exceeding that of factory ammunition, I backed down a step. No signs of overstress on the cases.

k.rollin

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
killchain wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:

Must be some really hot reloads people use with their Glocks then, because I developed a load and once the recoil started exceeding that of factory ammunition, I backed down a step. No signs of overstress on the cases.
I think the 'hand grenade' reputation that Glocks have is mostly in regards to their models chambered in .40 S&W. The cartridge is not well supported, and .40 S&W is a high pressure round. I believe that this problem has more or less been resolved for some time now however, but don't take my word for it.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

The older Gen 3's and previous generations didn't have as good of chamber support as the newer Gen 3's and the Gen 4's. The majority of the bulge on the case would occur at the 6 o clock position of the case. In any case, it had to be too hot of a load to blow it up since they make +P ammo in .40 and I haven't heard any horror stories yet. Even if it was brass that was already reloaded, the casing would have to go back in the chamber in the same exact position as the first time in order to bulge the same spot.

I think the kB stories involve reloads that are loaded too hot 99% of the time. It's amazing what kind of a difference 0.2 gr of powder can make.

Moose51

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
My 23 absolutely hated the Speer Lawman, and Gold Dots, and 2 or 3 other brands, thats why I went Kimber

killchain

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
killchain wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:

http://www.glockworld.com/content.aspx?Ckey=glockfaqs

"Can I shoot lead bullets in my Glock? [align=left]Glock barrels use special polygonal rifling not found in most handguns. This rifling is one of the main reasons Glocks are extremely accurate guns. However, the same rifling can cause a high degree of leading when not using jacketed bullets. In other words some lead from the bullet sticks to the inside of the barrel when it is fired. Too much leading can quickly lead to high pressures which can cause the barrel and/or gun to break or even explode. If you choose to shoot lead in your Glock please get an after market barrel."[/align][align=left]http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=16606[/align][align=left]A forum post with an Oregonian article about 2 G21's exploding in a month on the Portland, OR PD
[/align][align=left]--[/align][align=left]This is why I didn't get a G21. I shoot way too many reloads to be wondering about whether my handgun is going to explode.[/align]If you shoot jacketed rounds then apparently you will be fine. I don't wanna risk it, however, since 80% ish of the rounds that go through my .45 are lead reloads.

I am not hating on the Glock 21, just explaining my view.