• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Date of the Back Bay Walk Around

Which date works best for you?

• April 4th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • April 11th

• April 18th

• April 25th

• May 2nd

• May 9th

• May 16th

• Total voters

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Ok, apparently I suck at planning this so far haha... so*

Place: Back Bay Cove (walking aroud the bay)
Time: to be determined, looking at 2pm
Food: basically anything thats easy to grill? opinions?

MrJoshua

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
Ok, apparently I suck at planning this so far haha... so*

Place: Back Bay Cove (walking aroud the bay)
Time: to be determined, looking at 2pm
Food: basically anything thats easy to grill? opinions?
Lots of considerations to make, things get missed :)

For my understanding, Back Cove and Back Bay are the same place right? The little pond that Baxter Blvd circles?

If that's the case, a good place to meet would be the Back Cove Park on the south end of the cove by Hannaford. There is a parking lot on Preble St.

I should also point out that the path passes within 500 feet of Chevrus high school. The school grounds go all the way to the path however. This might cause a complication concerning the school zone laws. Might wanna look into it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Schools in area:

http://maps.google.com/maps?near=Back+Cove%2C+Portland%2C+ME&geocode=Cckodr8nANcjFS56mgIdiqrP-w&q=schools&Search=Search
maps

Yata hey

Hightower207

An Spidéal, Co. Galway/Stuck in Maine, Maine, USA
imported post

We should be in the clear, Back Bay/Baxter Blvd/Back Cove whatever you call it i believe is Public Property since it is maintained by City of Portland. Cheverus High School is a Private Institution notpart of the PortlandPublic School system. The 500 foot part of the law is only for discharging a firearm, and i don't plan on doing that unless someones life is in danger.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/20-A/title20-Asec6552.html

Title 20-A: EDUCATION
Part 3: ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION
Chapter 223: HEALTH, NUTRITION AND SAFETY
Subchapter 6: SAFETY

§6552. Firearms

1.Prohibition. A person may not possess a firearm ON PUBLIC school property or discharge a firearm within 500 feet of school property. For purposes of this subsection, public school property includes property of a community college that adopts a policy imposing such a prohibition.
[ 2007, c. 67, §1 (AMD) .]

2.Exception. Subsection 1 shall not apply to:

A. Law enforcement officials; or [1981, c. 693, §§ 5, 8 (NEW).]

B. A supervised educational program. [1981, c. 693, §§ 5, 8 (NEW).]
[ 1981, c. 693, §§ 5, 8 (NEW) .]

3.Penalty. A person who violates this section is guilty of a Class E crime.
[ 1981, c. 693, §§ 5, 8 (NEW) .]
SECTION HISTORY
1981, c. 693, §§5,8 (NEW). 1989, c. 414, §13 (AMD). 2007, c. 67, §1 (AMD).

MrJoshua

imported post

Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't remember exactly and had trouble finding the statute.

I will be bookmarking that. :)

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The time is set for 2pm I'm figuring that this is when BB will be the busiest? And we will have some pretty good sunshine if we picked the right day!! :) So you figure start cooking by 2:30 eat around 3??? sound good???

Deuce1911

imported post

so shane what do we need to bring for the food aspect. do we need a grill? ive never been to back cove so i dont know what is there. I assume the park is where the cooking will be going on.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Yeah, we need a grill or 2 and a table or 2. Nothin too too big. And if everyone could just bring what they can, like perhaps someone brings hot dogs and someone brings some hamburgers, it's going to be like a pot-luck setup so people can just bring whatever is easiest for them. Of course, you don't need to bring anything. There really isn't anything there I mean we'll be setting up shop in a parking lot basically. Hopefully the guy that said his friend was a manager? at hannaford? can come through and get us some free food. I also need to find someone that can help us out with t-shirts... There was one person on these forums that said his wife could do the embroidery of regular cotton t-shirts that you can purchase at wal-mart. So that would be awesome and save us some $$! It's rather hard for me to go spend money on shirts when a) i'm not sure how many people will be there. b) i'm not sure how many people will want shirts. and I don't want to be left out in the cold with 20 t-shirts layin around and a hundred bucks spent. Know what I mean? So seeing as this is the first (of many hopefully) we can kind of gauge the next event(s) by this one.

Deuce1911

imported post

roger that guy! ill help you out with Ts too. CVS is havin a sale on plain Ts, 4 for 10 bucks. maybe ill grab some of those. also im going to invite my friend who is a weapons and gear supplier for the local PD to come and invite some off duty leo's too.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Well hell, if you buy 4 and I buy 4... thats 8, maybe someone else would pick up another four? I think that that would be plenty, now where are we going to get them embroidered? Than we just figure out the cost per shirt and charge people what it cost us. We should be able to sell 12 of them i'd imagine? We also need a logo made up, i'm not good with photoshop, but maybe someone else is? And perhaps a saying on the t-shirt as well? Suggestions?

About inviting the off duty LEO, thats a great idea if you think they'll be calm? We aren't going to tell the local PD about our little get together seeing as that might cause undue drama. Although i'm sure that they will hear about it once the news agency hears about it. Pretty sure that i'm going to wait until a day or two before the event to start calling the news agencies. opinions?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MrJoshua wrote:
If we post flyers advertising the event they may know long before we even show up...
Why be concerned?

Doing nothing illegal, not even confrontational.

Just friends getting together, sharing and showing support.

Yata hey

straydoglogic

imported post

I really don't think it would be a bad idea to let LE know ahead of time just so there's no surprise and added drama. It's a peaceful assembly so there shouldn't be an issue.If you would like I could ask my cousin if he has any thoughts about if something like this were to "happen" if there would be any problems. He's a cop here in Portland. And definitely let news crews know.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

yes, as him. Ok, here are my 2 concerns: do we need a permit for our little "get together" or not? Also, there is a law on the maine books that says something about not being able to carry "in a public assembly" or something like that. What exactly constitutes as this? I can't seem to find the actual wording right now... but i'm still looking! I forget where I saw this? But ya, definitely ask your cousin... as for the flyers, they weren't ever intended to promote the event before-hand, instead they were intended to be with us at the event as something that we can pass out with this website, maybe the NRA's website and a little information about open carry and maine laws, perhaps some crime statistics. So that onlookers have something that they can physically hold and read. Some people tend to understand things when they can read them instead of some random guy telling them statistics or laws. Know what I mean?

Deuce1911

imported post

shane if you read it more it pertains to strikes and protests. we arent protesting and we sure as heck and union guys so i wouldnt worry about that. i know i guy who does logos ill try to get in touch with him. maybe he can comeup with something, hes pretty creative.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Is the basic planning a "done deal?"

If/when you are ready to proceed, start a new, clean thread (referencing it on this thread) making the announcement and inviting others to confirm and with how many family and/or guests.

It will be a lot easier to track that way.

This is how we accomplish this in Richmond:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=37501&forum_id=54

Ed from northern Virginia prefers Evit for RSVPs.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=38563&forum_id=54

Yata hey

boyscout399

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
yes, as him.  Ok, here are my 2 concerns: do we need a permit for our little "get together" or not?  Also, there is a law on the maine books that says something about not being able to carry "in a public assembly" or something like that.  What exactly constitutes as this?  I can't seem to find the actual wording right now... but i'm still looking!  I forget where I saw this?  But ya, definitely ask your cousin... as for the flyers, they weren't ever intended to promote the event before-hand, instead they were intended to be with us at the event as something that we can pass out with this website, maybe the NRA's website and a little information about open carry and maine laws, perhaps some crime statistics.  So that onlookers have something that they can physically hold and read.  Some people tend to understand things when they can read them instead of some random guy telling them statistics or laws.  Know what I mean?

I've read pretty much all of the Maine Statutes and I can't recall anything with carrying in an assembly. Could it be a town ordinance and not a state statute? If the town ordinance relates to carrying a firearm it would be nullified by the State Preemption law.

The only thing I can really see on Assembly is Unlawful Assemblyhttp://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/17-A/title17-Asec504.html. This Applies only if we have 5 or more people with intent to start a riot. We are not intending to start any riots, so we are all set. We just can't develop into a riot.