Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawyer

Post imported post

Is there a lawyer in BR or N.O., that will represent for open carry disputes?
    I'd sure like to have his card in my wallet for an emergency.

Post imported post

Swampwood wrote:
    Is there a lawyer in BR or N.O., that will represent for open carry disputes?
    I'd sure like to have his card in my wallet for an emergency.

Do not for sure if he would but you can call Henri Saunders of Cardenas and Saunders a BR attorney.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    here we go, again.
    This same question has been kicked around on the entire OCDO site, nationwide.
    Instead of becoming a chat room, this site needs to conduct a search for ONE "good" gun-rights attorney willing to do what sorely needs to be done.

Why isn't this already happening?
    The man does have a valid point. For all of the press this site gets and all of the work it's done raising awareness and getting people to donate to put up billboards,most of usstill lack a very important tool in our belt and that is a competent lawer to call when we need one.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

What a shame "some" people fail to learn from the past experiences of others.
    You can rest assured Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and today's activists don't leave home without knowing at LEAST one good attorney.

To borrow a slogan from the Boy Scouts, be prepared.
    We're not.

Who was your attorney? would he help?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Several avenues are available for consideration.

1) Attorney on retainer - sort of a prepayment for limited services.
    http://www.attorneyretainerfees.com/

2) Liability Insurance policies - generally include a caveat regarding illegal acts and when firearms are mentioned the rates go up.

3) Rallying the troops - seeking donations.

The primary problems with having an attorney on "stand by" nationally should be obvious - who is licensed to practice law in all states.

Even locally there are a tremendous number of unknowns. The greater the attorney's reputation, the higher the rate + how long will the defense take + major or minor "crime". Is the client negligent or otherwise culpable?

A defense against one charge could run into millions or be settled with one $100 phone call.

VCDL does maintain a gun friendly attorney list.
    http://www.hkshooter.net/lawyers/

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Just wanted to relate to my fellow open carry comrades of what happened today. Went to carry a relative to a dentist office and was met by the receptionist with these words.."You can't bring that in here!" So, I took my pistol and put it in the car. Then, on to the grocery store...where I was met by a woman with these words.."Go put that back in your car!" I had an Uncle Mike's holster. Any suggestion? I am a law abiding citizen with no arrests on my record and I've been residing on this earth for a little over fifty years. Help! And I live in a supposedly open carry state!

Post imported post

Thank you for your words of encouragement! That gives me confidence that there are a few of us out there thatwant to retain ourconstitutional rights and not have them snatched away from us. Again..thanks to the members of this site.

Post imported post

According to most here, when someone demands you surrender your right, you have an obligation to put your tail between your legs, apologize and slink away.......

Don't dare stand up for yourself, that's the unforgivable sin.
    Do you mean like this?:

"After having been in St. Elizabeth's hospital in Gonzales since FRIDAY, some grey-haired, older bimbette noticed my sidearm around 8am today, Monday.
    She airheadedly commented to a doctor walking with her, "he's got a firearm," with this silly-arsed smile on her mug.
    The doctor asked that I follow him to the office, where we were met by the Whacked-Hut "security" guard. He informed me "the hospital is a gun-free facility," to which I laughed and replied, "but YOU have one !"
    Both the doctor and the "security" guard lamented, "we FULLY support the 2nd amendment." I corrected them, "no, you don't."
    Realizing these are just two MORE intentionally-ignorant Amerikans, no need in wasting the words trying to educate them. After unloading the cylinder, doctor lifetime NRA member locked my revolver in the safe."

Post imported post

While the state constitution clearly guarantees your right to bear arms, 99.99999% of your fellow Lousyanians refuse to obey the law. It's just that simple.

According to most here, when someone demands you surrender your right, you have an obligation to put your tail between your legs, apologize and slink away.......

Don't dare stand up for yourself, that's the unforgivable sin.
    The unforgivable sin is speaking down to people, casting slurs and insults, creating disparity rather than unity.

Most other members of the animal kingdom have evolved past defecating where they eat - you should try it, it might improve the flavor of things.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I don't remember who suggested it, so, I can't give them proper credit here, but, in a recent post, someone suggested....since Mark feels that private property owners have NO rights, someone really should schedule a political rally of some sort on HIS property.

I say the Gonzalez Police Dept. can have their next annual awards ceremony in Marks front yard. After all, according to Mark's posts, a private property owner has NO control over who enters their property and how, right? I mean, it wouldn't take but a few minutes to come up with hundreds of quotes by Mark himself stating so.

Better yet, since the constitution also guarantees the right to free speech, let's let Obama know that his re-election campaign folks can have some of their Louisiana rallies on Mark's front lawn. After all, a property owner CANNOT impede upon someone elses' constitutionally protectedrights, right Mark?

Maybe the NRA needs a front lawn to set up some of their rallysofconstitutionally protected free speech. :celebrate

Those of you who live near Mark, remember, Mark says that the property owner has no control over their own property. So, when you're looking to place some campaign signs around town this November.....just stick em in his yard. He can't do anything about it....we've got plenty of his own words in quotes here to remind him that he can't. :quirky

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    The unforgivable sin is speaking down to people, casting slurs and insults, creating disparity rather than unity.
    How do we speak down to our peers, equals and fellow citizens but that they seek offense? Would you have MEM sink to their level, Peter Principle like, or them rise to the occasion of his example?

OCDO begins to reek of Frenchified sensitivities seeking satisfaction.

Post imported post

carrynottarry wrote:
    Just wanted to relate to my fellow open carry comrades of what happened today. Went to carry a relative to a dentist office and was met by the receptionist with these words.."You can't bring that in here!" So, I took my pistol and put it in the car. Then, on to the grocery store...where I was met by a woman with these words.."Go put that back in your car!" I had an Uncle Mike's holster. Any suggestion? I am a law abiding citizen with no arrests on my record and I've been residing on this earth for a little over fifty years. Help! And I live in a supposedly open carry state!
    Ok... I'll help... When businesses are licensed by the state, they then are subject to regulations at the state, federal and local levels that do not apply to those not in commerce. This is where you will want to begin your research. Let us know what you find... or if you get stumped... ask questions!!!

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    How do we speak down to our peers, equals and fellow citizens but that they seek offense? Would you have MEM sink to their level, Peter Principle like, or them rise to the occasion of his example?

OCDO begins to reek of Frenchified sensitivities seeking satisfaction.
    The king's man has no peer but himself - others being less equal or not. An offense is none the less so having not been sought.

The measure of tides and wind direction is influenced by no one here. He does chart his own course, whether through shoal or channel.

When the Gallic breeze as defined becomes too malodorous, one may freely seek vistas more to their suitable to their palate.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Several avenues are available for consideration.

1) Attorney on retainer - sort of a prepayment for limited services.
    http://www.attorneyretainerfees.com/

2) Liability Insurance policies - generally include a caveat regarding illegal acts and when firearms are mentioned the rates go up.

3) Rallying the troops - seeking donations.

The primary problems with having an attorney on "stand by" nationally should be obvious - who is licensed to practice law in all states.

Even locally there are a tremendous number of unknowns. The greater the attorney's reputation, the higher the rate + how long will the defense take + major or minor "crime". Is the client negligent or otherwise culpable?

A defense against one charge could run into millions or be settled with one $100 phone call.

VCDL does maintain a gun friendly attorney list.
    http://www.hkshooter.net/lawyers/

Yata hey
    Insurance is now available for criminal and civil cases involving use of a firearm in most states.
    www.mmdbrokers.com

Yata hey

Post imported post

As a suggestion and in an effort to get this topic back on track, Federal attorney Michale Walsh of Baton Rouge represented me in a matter some years ago. At the time he seemed very pro-carry (he had his Beretta in his briefcase) and was a huge help.

I would recommend him to others though I can not speak for his stance on OC. I will say that if you are in the right he will defend you.

Post imported post

I can tell you that despite having to go to court twice for preliminary hearings, Mike did not charge me a penny for his services to me (there were extenuating circumstances, but I was in the right and had it gone to trial I would have won anyway.)

I haven't had the opportunity to speak with Mike about his stance on OC, but I do know that he is pro 2A.

Post imported post

LA Confederate wrote:
    I can tell you that despite having to go to court twice for preliminary hearings, Mike did not charge me a penny for his services to me (there were extenuating circumstances, but I was in the right and had it gone to trial I would have won anyway.)

I haven't had the opportunity to speak with Mike about his stance on OC, but I do know that he is pro 2A.
    So... I take it he's a crimminal defence attorney... yes??

Post imported post

Yes. His primary realm is federal criminal defense however I believe he does represent at the state level as well. This was as of '05 when he was representing me.

Post imported post

Called Mike Walsh's office, what a hoot THAT was !!

Don't waste your time, he's just one more money-grubbing, do-anything-for-a-dollar shyster.
    Just to TALK with him requires an appointment, minimum charge $350.00.

This site needs to recruit just ONE real OC attorney.
    Why don't YOU take HALF the time and energy you spend trolling on this site to find one?

Post imported post

Mark, you keep saying "this site" needs to find a lawyer. OCDO is a discussion forum - we are "this site"! Nobody can legitimately bellyache about "this site" not having an OC lawyer if he/she isn't willing to pitch in and help find that lawyer.

Post imported post

So, start your own organization. I'm sure a few mindless goons will follow.

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Post imported post

And YOU have nailed it.
    This is not an "organization," or a "group," but a DISCUSSION FORUM.
    That's all it'll ever be until my suggestions are implemented.

No one on this site could afford to compensate me enough for the countless hours I've wasted searching for an OC attorney.
    And when several folks took it upon themselves to form an organization for the purpose of actively pursuing issues in Louisiana, you do nothing but snipe at them and belittle the group's startup efforts. So don't go around acting like the problem is that we aren't organized.

edit: As Barf pointed out, we have yet to see you make any efforts towards forming a more active and coherent group. Do something, or quit complaining.

Post imported post

Please, everyone here knows what your real agenda is. You're a self-described anarchist who hates the police. Don't try to disguise what you're really trying to do here on this site, which is to recruit people that will join you to further you agenda.

If anyone doubts me, just read his past posts. HE ADMITS THAT THIS IS HIS AGENDA.

Post imported post

When the going gets tough, mark edward marchiafava gets going.

Post imported post

No worries, mem-o-matic is here.

LOL, that's TOO funny. As the great Terry Bradshaw once said, "I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid".

Those who refuse to learn from my shining example are relegated to the brass bin of history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast