UPDATE: More than a dozen shots fired in I-95 road rage incident

By Kari Pugh
    Published: March 23, 2010
    Updated: March23,2010

» 27 Comments | Post a Comment

manassas_jour976:http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/...ncident/54455/
    1[/i]
    voteBuzz up!

DUMFRIES, Va.—Tempers flared and gunfire erupted on southbound Interstate 95 during Tuesday’s evening rush hour.

Troopers say the driver of a silver Jaguar fired at least 13 shots at a dump truck driver after miles of aggressive driving through Woodbridge.

It started when the driver of a 2007 Ford F550 dump truck was attempting to merge into the southbound lanes of I-95 from Va. 123 and encountered the 2004 Jaguar traveling southbound on I-95. The drivers of the two vehicles began driving aggressively, state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said. While heading south on I-95, the dump truck struck the Jaguar two times, she said.

As they approached the 159 mile marker, the two vehicles ended up on the left shoulder and pinned against the jersey wall. At 4:23 p.m., the driver of the Jaguar got out of his car—leaving his 2-year-old daughter inside—and started firing a handgun at the dump truck. The truck driver, a 44-year-old Woodbridge man, pulled away into traffic. His truck was hit by at least four of the 13 rounds fired by the Jaguar’s driver, Geller said.

The 25-year-old Jaguar driver then followed after the dump truck. Trooper B.W. Coleman stopped both drivers at the 154 mile marker.

The Jaguar driver was arrested at the scene and charges are pending, Geller said. He and his daughter were not injured.

The driver of the dump truck was charged with reckless driving. He was not injured either.

Geller said the men’s names will be released once charges are officially placed against the gunman.

State police had no reports of other vehicles struck by gunfire.

In a study by AAA Mid-Atlantic, Washington drivers said they felt more threatened by aggressive drivers than by drunken drivers.

AAA reports that men are more likely than women to be involved in road rages incidents and, surprisingly, drivers with children are more likely to respond aggressively.

Communities editor Kari Pugh can be reached at 703-878-8056.

I'm interested to see the if the firearm was carried legally. Was the driver under the assumption that his life and the life of his daughter was in danger so he fired upon the dump truck driver? I've noticed that I'm a more courteous driver when I'm carrying, as well as being generally more polite as I don't want to get involved in an incident as this.

If this happened in front of you (lets say they stopped right in front of you), are you legally allowed to engage? If a guy starts popping off rounds in front of me, I'd feel threatened. Would I have to compel him to stop and do a citizen's arrest?

Just some questions that come to mind when I read this story...

Post imported post

Man, it's things like this that make me glad I have a 3 mile commute.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    Makes me glad this is the nearest highway

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    While heading south on I-95, the dump truck struck the Jaguar two times, she said.
    Good for him. It should be legal to put a-hole aggressive drivers into the wall. I can't even count the number of times I have wanted to do that.

Post imported post

You just can't let people get to you. I just ignore them and keep my hand on my pistol out of sight just in case they do something stupid. One guy used a straight lane to turn left into our turn lane. He pulled up next to us in stopped traffic and cussed us out with his kids in the back seat. It's a shame that his kids will grow up like that. I did feel threatened though because he was leaning out the window screaming at myself and my parents. If he had felt the need to actually get out of the car I would have had to do something because he was one of those 40y/o guys who goes to the gym 24/7. Must be the roids talking :P

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    As they approached the 159 mile marker, the two vehicles ended up on the left shoulder and pinned against the jersey wall. At 4:23 p.m., the driver of the Jaguar got out of his car—leaving his 2-year-old daughter inside—and started firing a handgun at the dump truck. The truck driver, a 44-year-old Woodbridge man, pulled away into traffic. His truck was hit by at least four of the 13 rounds fired by the Jaguar’s driver, Geller said.
    So the shooter was stopped on the side of the road, pinned up against the Jersey wall next to a dump truck, a BIG DUMP TRUCK (read "huge, can't miss kind of target") and he only hit the truck "at least" 4 times out of 13?

Dude needs more range time....and maybe some anger management classes.

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    So the shooter was stopped on the side of the road, pinned up against the Jersey wall next to a dump truck, a BIG DUMP TRUCK (read "huge, can't miss kind of target") and he only hit the truck "at least" 4 times out of 13?

Dude needs more range time....and maybe some anger management classes.

I agree on the range time

Anger management....naw. I wouldn't have shot him but someone would be going to the hospital. I think he had plenty to be angry about.

Post imported post

Being pinned against that jersey wall by a dumptruck would certianly lead me to believe that I was about to be harmed in some way for sure, but the story seems to read that both drivers were driving like @$$holes during the whole incident.

Is'nt that the same as picking a fight with a person just to get them to try and hurt you, so that you could shoot them?

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    both drivers were driving like @$$holes during the whole incident.

Is'nt that the same as picking a fight with a person just to get them to try and hurt you, so that you could shoot them?
    I think that's gonna be the big sticking point and what's gonna get him convicted. It's really stupid to continue driving like that with children in the car.

Boy am I glad I don't have to go through that every day.:X

Post imported post

Especially acting like this with a kid in the car...?

Once I stopped commuting on 95 my blood pressure dropped 30 points - so glad I dont deal with that anymore.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    bohdi wrote:

That looks similar to the road I live on.

Post imported post

That road's the eastern version of mine...

Post imported post

bmartinxd45 wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    bohdi wrote:

That looks similar to the road I live on.
    It's a little better than my driveway

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    bohdi wrote:

What caused that huge lens flare?

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    bohdi wrote:

TFred
    I got lazy and took it through the windshield. The flare is really the reflection of a blaze orange hat on the dash.
    A bear had just run across the road at the bend and I missed the shot.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    I got lazy and took it through the windshield. The flare is really the reflection of a blaze orange hat on the dash.
    A bear had just run across the road at the bend and I missed the shot.
    Ah, that explains it... now that you mention it, it doesn't really look much like a lens flare at all.

TFred

Post imported post

13 shots to stop the threat? I'm wondering what this guy had. I'm also thinking he's damn lucky he didn't hit anyone else with his misses. Or maybe he did and it's too early to know.

Post imported post

I doubt he can use self-defense as a legal defense here as his hands were not clean. That he chose to go tit-for-tat with the other party even if the other was the agressor means that he lost his legal protections, does it not?

If he had de-escalated and showed that he was no longer a willing combatant and was attacked again - I can see a case here but me thinks he's lost all legal protections and will get shown the end of the hammer of justice.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    bohdi wrote:

I thought they paved highways now

Post imported post

xdm guy wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    bohdi wrote:

I thought they paved highways now
    Go South Young Man!
    They pave highways in the North and the middle and East try to copy them. The South likes things a little more relaxed....and we don't have road rage.

We don't have enough traffic

Just remember, the road to Hell is paved with many things...one of them is asphalt.

Post imported post

I bet driving down some of those roads regularly also help to keep you regular. Just knocking everything loose. Makes me think of when I used to live in Iowa. Wasn't uncommon to drive to someones house and hear drive to mile marker whatever and take next right on dirt road. Then take the second dirt road after that.

Post imported post

http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/...s_month/54515/

95 incident state’s second involving guns this month
    By Uriah A. Kiser
    Published: March 24, 2010
    Updated: March24,2010
    » 2 Comments | Post a Comment

manassas_jour976:http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/...s_month/54515/
    vote
    nowBuzz up!

Update 11 p.m. Wednesday: Both drivers arrested on attempted murder charges. Click here to read more.

WOODBRIDGE, Va.—Firing a gun in the middle of a busy roadway has happened twice in Virginia in the last few weeks.

That method of dealing with road rage landed a 25-year-old Woodbridge man in jail without bond Tuesday. State police say Gabriel Poventud fired 13 shots at a dump truck on Interstate 95 south during evening rush hour Tuesday.

On March 15, a 69-year-old man driving on a neighborhood street in Pittsylvania County, near North Carolina border, rammed his car into another vehicle four times and then got out and fired a gun in the air before speeding off.

Tuesday’s road rage incident on I-95 began near Va. 123, as a dump truck driver tried to merge from the express lanes onto the main lines. The truck driver twice struck a 2004 Jaguar sedan in his way, sparking a highway fight.

After fighting for position, the truck and sedan ended up pinned together against a Jersey wall near Va. 234.

State police said Poventud then got out of his Jaguar, brandished a handgun and fired 13 shots at the dump truck, striking it four times. His 2-year-old daughter was in the car at the time.

No one was injured.

Drivers on the heavily congested interstate watched in shock.

“I was right behind the shooter’s car, and that dump truck rammed the Jaguar on purpose. And then, when he backed up and the two interlocked their fenders, the dump truck again rammed that Jaguar, on the driver’s side on purpose,” said motorist Jim Leavells, who was behind the Jaguar.

Gunfire is not common on area roads, but weapons have been used in 37 percent of all reported cases of road rage in the U.S., according to AAA Mid-Atlantic.

“More than 1,500 people are killed or injured in road rage incidents each year in this country and when you add a gun to the mix the situation is more likely to spiral out of control,” said AAA John B. Townsend II. “Gun-toting drivers are more likely to become involved in road rage incidents, study after study has confirmed.”

Studies have shown that young men, and young adults overall, have admitted to making obscene gestures, cursing or blatantly shouting at other drivers while they were carrying a handgun, said Townsend. He quoted a 2006 Harvard study of 2,400 drivers, which showed motorists who carry guns inside their car are more likely to engage in road rage.

Both Poventud and the dump truck driver – 44-year-old James Bringham of Woodbridge – face charges stemming from Tuesday’s road rage incident.

Poventud is charged with child endangerment, attempted homicide, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, shooting a missile into an occupied vehicle and reckless use of a firearm, state police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said.. Bingham is charged with reckless driving.

State officials urge drivers to stay calm behind the wheel, to ignore eye contact or rude gestures and not to return them if they are displayed by another driver.

Drivers should also avoid blocking the passing lane. If going slower than other drivers, get out of the left lane, said Geller.

Staff writer Uriah A. Kiser can be reached at 703-878-8065.

Can anyone pull up this study where they say those with firearms are more likely to be involved in road rage. I find myself being a more courteous driver when carrying, but maybe that's just me?

Post imported post

State officials urge drivers to stay calm behind the wheel, to ignore eye contact or rude gestures and not to return them if they are displayed by another driver
    Right!:X

Post imported post

http://johnrlott.tripod.com/2006/02/...road-rage.html

Seems to cast some doubt on the accuracy of the study. Suprised?

Post imported post

I find myself being a more courteous driver when carrying, but maybe that's just me?
    I think the reality is that most of us tend to be more courteous in general when carrying, but especially when OC'ing.

If there's any merit to the study at all, it's that people who carry are more likely to stand their ground even when not armed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast