• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walsburg Bay

thx997303

imported post

It appears that Walsburg Bay Group use area has a sign posted stating "No Firearms and Hunting"

I checked, it appears that this is a state park.

My understanding is that they cannot regulate carry.

Is this correct?

swillden

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
It appears that Walsburg Bay Group use area has a sign posted stating "No Firearms and Hunting"

I checked, it appears that this is a state park.

My understanding is that they cannot regulate carry.

Is this correct?
This is the Wallsburg Group Area in Deer Creek State Park, right? (Had to Google it).

If so, then you're absolutely right. They may not restrict lawful carry of firearms. They can restrict hunting, of course.

swillden

imported post

swillden wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
Yep, Walsburg Bay.

I see some letter writing in my immediate future.
I sent an e-mail to parkcomment@utah.gov immediately after posting this morning.
I just got this response from Rick Redmon:

Shawn

Regulations have changed since that sign was installed several years ago. We will see if we can remove or cover the No Firearms portion on the sign, since budget cutbacks will not allow to replace thesign right now.

Rick Redmon
Park Manager
Deer Creek State Park

Play Safely in Utah's Great Outdoors
For Park, Boating and OHV Safety Tips Visit http://www.stateparks.utah.gov
I can certainly understand that budget problems could make it difficult to replace the sign, and I think that covering or removing the "no firearms" part is an acceptable temporary alternative. I'm sending an e-mail to that effect.