Thread: Richmond Police Chief weighs in

Post imported post

Post imported post

Thanks for the post Kenny. I don't watch 6.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

It's nice that he acknowledged that it's not the law-abiding citizens you need to worry about. Just for curiosity's sake I wonder what he's telling the police officers to prepare them.

Post imported post

Hmmm after it being brought up at tonights VCDL meeting and then this news article stating the Richmond PD confiscated 1000 firearms last year, i really think we need to push the bill to have confiscated or turned in firearms auctioned to ffl's. even if they only net 100.00 per firearm thats an extra hundred thousand dollars the department could use.

Joe

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Excuse me Chief Norwood - since it is already illegal for a felon/criminal to carry or posses a gun will this new law change anything to that regard.

Simply answer Yes or No - no waffling allowed.

We already agree that honest citizens are not the problem so we are waiting for your direct answer.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    Hmmm after it being brought up at tonights VCDL meeting and then this news article stating the Richmond PD confiscated 1000 firearms last year, i really think we need to push the bill to have confiscated or turned in firearms auctioned to ffl's. even if they only net 100.00 per firearm thats an extra hundred thousand dollars the department could use.

Joe
    As long as the current power structure is in place, I doubt Delegate Cole will reintroduce his bill again, only to face certain, mindless death in the Saslaw/Marsh rule-breaking "kill anything related to gun rights" subcommittee.

TFred

Post imported post

Bars? What bars?

And of course, pretty much all of those were not "illegal guns". Just guns in the possession of those not possessing or carrying them legally. Don't let the opposition define the language.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I wouldn't worry too much about what Norwood said.

This is after all, the City of Richmond that we're talking about. Police Chiefs are hired on the city bus schedule...a new one comes along every 30-40 minutes.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    67GT390FB wrote:

Joe
    As long as the current power structure is in place, I doubt Delegate Cole will reintroduce his bill again, only to face certain, mindless death in the Saslaw/Marsh rule-breaking "kill anything related to gun rights" subcommittee.

TFred
    I missed last nights meeting but I'm sure VCDL is working on a plan to curtail the death committee.
    There have been some thoughts on this in the Senate but I don't know if any will get off the ground.

This is the real danger in the Committee. It has a chilling effect and legislators will be reluctant to introduce legislation that is doomed from the start. It makes their stats look bad.

This is going to be an interesting summer leading into the elections. If the gun lobby can maintain it's power which is it's numbers, there may be more passive ways to deal with Marsh and Saslaw. You have to give it to them though. They managed to toss a big monkey wrench in the works.:X

Post imported post

Gee, I took it as encouraging that he had greater issues with"Illegal Guns" (which is Richmond code for guns in the hands of their large convicted felon population) than with legally carried concealed firearms. Considering the usual boneheaded statments from people in his position, I was favorably impressed as it certainly could have been much worse.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Post imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
    Gee, I took it as encouraging that he had greater issues with"Illegal Guns" (which is Richmond code for guns in the hands of their large convicted felon population) than with legally carried concealed firearms. Considering the usual bonehedaed statments from people in his position, I was favorably impressed as it certainly could have been much worse.
    Uh Oh...Now you're gonna get it. Kenny is going to tell you there are no felons in Richmond, just misunderstood fellows

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    This is going to be an interesting summer leading into the elections. If the gun lobby can maintain it's power which is it's numbers, there may be more passive ways to deal with Marsh and Saslaw. You have to give it to them though. They managed to toss a big monkey wrench in the works.:X
    Well they are doing to Virginia what BHO has done to the Union.

Even my bleeding heart wife is upset.

When those in power do not follow the rules, the government turns into a banana republic.

Quite a shame for the Commonwealth. Evil men breaking the rule of law because they know better than the unwashed masses. How I long for the days of tar and feathers.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

kenny wrote: I do not recognize this as Richmond, but it might have been. Is this the enterance to to the NOVA Fuddruckers? Has to be old as I do not think I wore that vest this whole winter...

Post imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
    Gee, I took it as encouraging that he had greater issues with"Illegal Guns" (which is Richmond code for guns in the hands of their large convicted felon population) than with legally carried concealed firearms. Considering the usual bonehedaed statments from people in his position, I was favorably impressed as it certainly could have been much worse.
    I agree with The Wolfhound, that was how I read it.

Peter Nap, I work with them everyday. We have enough to go around would you like some to take home with you?

Don't forget the previous two Governors restoredmany rights, next thing you know they will be getting their right to bears arms back.

Post imported post

I have seen Chief Norwood in person twice. He is a very charismatic speaker, and seems okay to me.

Remember, Norwood's officers didn't harass the Golden Food Mart good guy and did not try to throw him under the bus.

I think it may be possible that Norwood is a rarity, a diamond in the rough. An inner city police chief in a left-leaning, radical political environment with a solid head on his shoulders that has shown himself to be fair-minded when it comes to our second amendment rights. At least in his statement to WTVR.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Chief Norwood could take some simple image improvement steps.

I have been in his presence numerous times and have yet to see him smile at or acknowledge an OCer's existence. This includes committee meetings, GA hallway, Chili cook-off, city council and others. The message imparted was "I don't see you - you don't exist.," but delivered with a scowl and never any eye contact.

Now maybe I'm being too critical and maybe he'll get the message, but for now, until I see something different, I remain unconvinced. Body language tells a lot.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Chief Norwood could take some simple image improvement steps.

I have been in his presence numerous times and have yet to see him smile at or acknowledge an OCer's existence. This includes committee meetings, GA hallway, Chili cook-off, city council and others. The message imparted was "I don't see you - you don't exist.," but delivered with a scowl and never any eye contact.

Now maybe I'm being too critical and maybe he'll get the message, but for now, until I see something different, I remain unconvinced. Body language tells a lot.

Yata hey
    Yep, a charm school dropout