• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Police Chief weighs in

curtiswr

imported post

It's nice that he acknowledged that it's not the law-abiding citizens you need to worry about. Just for curiosity's sake I wonder what he's telling the police officers to prepare them.

67GT390FB

imported post

Hmmm after it being brought up at tonights VCDL meeting and then this news article stating the Richmond PD confiscated 1000 firearms last year, i really think we need to push the bill to have confiscated or turned in firearms auctioned to ffl's. even if they only net 100.00 per firearm thats an extra hundred thousand dollars the department could use.

Joe

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Excuse me Chief Norwood - since it is already illegal for a felon/criminal to carry or posses a gun will this new law change anything to that regard.

Simply answer Yes or No - no waffling allowed.

We already agree that honest citizens are not the problem so we are waiting for your direct answer.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Hmmm after it being brought up at tonights VCDL meeting and then this news article stating the Richmond PD confiscated 1000 firearms last year, i really think we need to push the bill to have confiscated or turned in firearms auctioned to ffl's. even if they only net 100.00 per firearm thats an extra hundred thousand dollars the department could use.

Joe
As long as the current power structure is in place, I doubt Delegate Cole will reintroduce his bill again, only to face certain, mindless death in the Saslaw/Marsh rule-breaking "kill anything related to gun rights" subcommittee.

TFred

zoom6zoom

imported post

Bars? What bars?

And of course, pretty much all of those were not "illegal guns". Just guns in the possession of those not possessing or carrying them legally. Don't let the opposition define the language.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

Joe
As long as the current power structure is in place, I doubt Delegate Cole will reintroduce his bill again, only to face certain, mindless death in the Saslaw/Marsh rule-breaking "kill anything related to gun rights" subcommittee.

TFred
I missed last nights meeting but I'm sure VCDL is working on a plan to curtail the death committee.
There have been some thoughts on this in the Senate but I don't know if any will get off the ground.

This is the real danger in the Committee. It has a chilling effect and legislators will be reluctant to introduce legislation that is doomed from the start. It makes their stats look bad.

This is going to be an interesting summer leading into the elections. If the gun lobby can maintain it's power which is it's numbers, there may be more passive ways to deal with Marsh and Saslaw. You have to give it to them though. They managed to toss a big monkey wrench in the works.:X

Sheriff

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about what Norwood said.

This is after all, the City of Richmond that we're talking about. Police Chiefs are hired on the city bus schedule...a new one comes along every 30-40 minutes.

I would have to agree there. And IMHO, most of them need

GPS to find their way to work and back home each day. :banghead:

The Wolfhound

imported post

Gee, I took it as encouraging that he had greater issues with"Illegal Guns" (which is Richmond code for guns in the hands of their large convicted felon population) than with legally carried concealed firearms. Considering the usual boneheaded statments from people in his position, I was favorably impressed as it certainly could have been much worse.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
Gee, I took it as encouraging that he had greater issues with"Illegal Guns" (which is Richmond code for guns in the hands of their large convicted felon population) than with legally carried concealed firearms. Considering the usual bonehedaed statments from people in his position, I was favorably impressed as it certainly could have been much worse.
Uh Oh...Now you're gonna get it. Kenny is going to tell you there are no felons in Richmond, just misunderstood fellows:lol::lol::lol:

Thundar

imported post

peter nap wrote:
This is going to be an interesting summer leading into the elections. If the gun lobby can maintain it's power which is it's numbers, there may be more passive ways to deal with Marsh and Saslaw. You have to give it to them though. They managed to toss a big monkey wrench in the works.:X

Well they are doing to Virginia what BHO has done to the Union.

Even my bleeding heart wife is upset.

When those in power do not follow the rules, the government turns into a banana republic.

Quite a shame for the Commonwealth. Evil men breaking the rule of law because they know better than the unwashed masses. How I long for the days of tar and feathers.

kenny

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
Gee, I took it as encouraging that he had greater issues with"Illegal Guns" (which is Richmond code for guns in the hands of their large convicted felon population) than with legally carried concealed firearms. Considering the usual bonehedaed statments from people in his position, I was favorably impressed as it certainly could have been much worse.

I agree with The Wolfhound, that was how I read it.

Peter Nap, I work with them everyday. We have enough to go around would you like some to take home with you?

Don't forget the previous two Governors restoredmany rights, next thing you know they will be getting their right to bears arms back.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have seen Chief Norwood in person twice. He is a very charismatic speaker, and seems okay to me.

Remember, Norwood's officers didn't harass the Golden Food Mart good guy and did not try to throw him under the bus.

I think it may be possible that Norwood is a rarity, a diamond in the rough. An inner city police chief in a left-leaning, radical political environment with a solid head on his shoulders that has shown himself to be fair-minded when it comes to our second amendment rights. At least in his statement to WTVR.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Chief Norwood could take some simple image improvement steps.

I have been in his presence numerous times and have yet to see him smile at or acknowledge an OCer's existence. This includes committee meetings, GA hallway, Chili cook-off, city council and others. The message imparted was "I don't see you - you don't exist.," but delivered with a scowl and never any eye contact.

Now maybe I'm being too critical and maybe he'll get the message, but for now, until I see something different, I remain unconvinced. Body language tells a lot.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Chief Norwood could take some simple image improvement steps.

I have been in his presence numerous times and have yet to see him smile at or acknowledge an OCer's existence. This includes committee meetings, GA hallway, Chili cook-off, city council and others. The message imparted was "I don't see you - you don't exist.," but delivered with a scowl and never any eye contact.

Now maybe I'm being too critical and maybe he'll get the message, but for now, until I see something different, I remain unconvinced. Body language tells a lot.

Yata hey

Yep, a charm school dropout

a17.jpg