Thread: open carry in crime ridden areas question

Banned

Post imported post

terry v Ohio says the officer was okay searching for a weapon because of the bad area.

springfield MA the man who sued the city for a 1983 violation last year same thing. It was a crime ridden area so cops were okay to think he was up to no good.

Now I carry a handgun in an area where there hasn't beenmurder in years and the cops are saying I had no reason to carry a gun.

Is this a catch 22? Am i missing something?

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

I can tell you that there is no high crime only area restriction in WI for Open Carry. There is no citation for carrying in a high crime area where it is otherwise legal.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

And I can tell you that here is nothing preventing a charge of disorderly conduct with a weapons enhancement anywhere the I_K's union brother wants to make one.

The law abides only the law abiding - including cops.

G LOC K34, front and center, report!

McX

Post imported post

no serious crimes in an area for years huh? how about assaults, robberies, home invasions, and thefts? no area is immune! no place is absolutely safe. the police that told you you have no valid reason to carry should be forced to remain at your side to protect you the entire time you are in an area.

Post imported post

I guess it all depends upon where you live. Fortunately, I live in a rural town just east of Springfield. It is not abnormal to see one's neighbors walking out of the woods carrying a shotgun or walking down the street with a pocket gun. I carry when walking my dogs, not because I am afraid of "gangstas", but coyotes, bears and yes, the occasional mountain lion (yes, there are some in MA).

I have written on other threads about carrying in the open in areas not prone to crime, and that since no one is wearing a large sign saying that they are legally carrying or that they are off duty police, etc. then I can see how it would concern people not prone to seeing weapons on people.

Common sense! Use it!