• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained for O.C. today

usmcbess

imported post

Me and my brother were at route 66 and highway 100 in Gray Summit preaching the gospel today. I have preached at that sight multiple times but this was the first time I O.C.'ed. after about an hour and 15 mins of successful preachin I turned around tospeak in the other direction and my brother said "here's the cops" and I turned around to a state patrol man blocking 66 and moving in my direction. Without even a word he restrained me, confiscated my weapon, and put me in cuffs. He asked what we were doing and I told him we were preaching. He asked me why I had a gun and I told him it was my right and I wasnt breaking any laws. After some quick questions 3 or 4 franklin county showed up and shut the whole intersection down. They ran my weapons serial to see if it wasstolen and told me I wasnt breaking any laws and let me go. All this hassle for a preacher with a holstered weapon!

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

I'm no lawyer but that sounds like an illegal detention and disarming. I would think that would be worth a complaint filed for harassment at the least and something you could consult a lawyer for if you wanted to press the fact your 2nd amendment rights were infringed. It is my understanding that if you have broken no law they have no legal right to disarm you. How long were you detained. It seems like 20min is the max time they have to do so. legally speaking. Were is an ambulance chasing lawyer when you need one.

Doc

patriotthad

imported post

Preaching and OCing, the best of both worlds! Glad to hear it. I think I would be contacting an attorney for the detention if they knew you wern't breaking any laws. By the way, what did you mean by successful preaching. If the mods think this is off topic send me private message.

Packer fan

imported post

Is this what Nehemiah did as he built the walls of Jerusalem, but he wouldn't come down off the wall. :D

If you aren't careful you could be labeled.:uhoh:

Good job you were preaching the one book from which we all derive our rights.:celebrate

Festus_Hagen

imported post

WTH? As was said, you have had your rights violated. You were not doing anything wrong or against the law. They had no reason to detain you or take your weapon. MAYBE question you as to your intentions, but not take your weapon.

SavageOne

imported post

You really should file a freedom of information request to get the dash-cam video from the trooper's and the deputies cars. They seemed very accommodating, but if the trooper detained you then, confiscated your property, then illegally confined you, this needs to be addressed.

usmcbess

imported post

Thanks fpr the reply everyone! I will post another video detailing the event tonight. Check it our and get amke to me.

O.C.'ed

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

Hello Usmcbess,

I think I saw that you said something about the LEO not letting you record video while being detained. Is that right? I know that some other states have the law that a LEO can legally have you shut down any video recording device. Does Missouri have that law?

Doc

Packer fan

imported post

With the aspect of people being more or less receptive to the Gospel if you weren't packing a gun then tell that to Jesus and his disciples.

Luke 23: 35-38 tells us that Jesus asked and told his disciples to get a sword.
John 18:10 Peter cut Malchus' ear off. Notice Jesus didn't rebuke Peter for defending but that it wasn't time for a sword and that God's Kingdom is not won by a sword.

So carry your sidearm (sword) for self protection and keep preaching the Gospel. It's not the tool that offends people it's the Gospel.

harleyryder98

imported post

I usually stop in at that particular gas station about 2 or 3 times a week to have a cup of coffee and have never had a problem OC . I have even talked to Franklin County Deputy about OC'ing and they have told me it is perfectly legal, Just keep up preaching and OC'ing,

cash50

imported post

bess, that's you in the video, right?

I don't know if you missed it or never heard or were just BS'ing with the cops, you don't have to be 23 to get a CCW- just get it from Florida or Maine. Or other states.

harleyryder98

imported post

You can go on line to Florida Department of Agriculture and have them send you the application and follow the instructions in the booklet should get it in about 2 to 3 months,

Article1section23

imported post

usmcbess wrote:
(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

usmc,

The Florida license is good in Mo, so are all the other non-res permits.