• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From the Acting President of Michigan Open Carry

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

As of today, President John Roshek has resigned and I am taking his responsibilities as acting president. In addition to John's resignation, our Treasurer has also resigned today. Prior to these resignations, our Sergeant at Arms and Events Coordinator also resigned. I did not personally receive notice of those decisions, but I understand they occurred immediately after the events of the past weekend.

I want to clarify that our Secretary, Nathan Nephew did not resign despite having been asked for such by the Board of Directors. Furthermore, Nathan is the only person that has served MOC as a board member since the inception of the organization. The fact does remain however that the duties inherent to a secretary have not been fulfilled properly. For this reason, I will continue to pursue relieving Nathan of those duties. The challenge to me is that Nathan does bring sound, reliable judgment to the board of directors and his contributions in that regard are very valuable. It is for these reasons that I will consider placing the title of Secretary to a non-voting Board of Directors position. In looking to the future, it is for similar concerns of time management that I will be simultaneously considering putting the title of Treasurer to the same level within the board. This would not reduce the quantity of voting board members to less than four, rather two seats will simply have a generic title of “Board Member” or similar.

I will be distributing vacancy announcements for all open positions via email to every member. These announcements have yet to be drafted, and a complete email address list has yet to be compiled. However, I encourage all MOC members to examine themselves and see if you can dedicate your time to your organization to fill a need. If you are interested, please do not delay in sending an email to me indicating such.

It appears that there is some mistrust amongst members of MOC towards the past leadership. I understand the old saying of where there is smoke there is usually fire. I understand that there have been a few things that could have been construed as smoke signals.

Yes, there have been delays in getting membership information out. The previous board addressed this informally once, and again in a formal manner as described earlier. Furthermore, I will personally continue to address this. I have been promised that all memberships will be up to date by the end of tomorrow. Any packages not yet mailed should be mailed within a few days from there. I will personally follow up on this as well.

Secondarily, communication has not been as effective as it should be. The past leadership had addressed this in the past and advised of their plans to improve communications. As of today, I am pleased to announce that MOC is within days of launching our own forums for member communication. This tool will allow all MOC members to have access to all information they are supposed to have including but not limited to; board meeting agendas and minutes, organization statistics, year-end financial reports and communications from leadership. This will not change the best contact method for members to reach leadership however. The most effective way for this is via email; these addresses are listed on our website. Remember that leadership people do undertake many activities and all too often, it is difficult, even impossible at times to keep up with conversation on forums and associated private messages. I cannot stress this enough, if you have questions, ask via email.

To take a sidestep for a minute while discussing forum communications: All MOC members must realize that this OCDO forum is not an appropriate venue for discussing MOC business, especially sensitive matters. What MOC business that has been discussed here has been tolerated only by the goodness of John and Mike. I also want to clarify that MOC creating a private forum is not intended to take away anything from the content of the OCDO forum. This venue still allows for important interactions with non-MOC people as well as open carriers across the country. I would certainly encourage everyone to continue contributing positive thoughts and discussion here as well. Continuing on that thought, I stress the word positive. I understand that there have been legitimate concerns about how some things are handled. However, the sharp criticisms that have been listed combined with an absence of acknowledgement for the things that were highly successful serves only to undermine the integrity of this organization. Our by-laws do have provisions for dealing with such activities. However, I want to make it unequivocally clear that I regard implementing such provisions as nearly equal to using lethal force in self-defense. I am personally asking every member of MOC, and by default due to the venue of this communication, every participant of OCDO to cease such harmful activities. I have never committed an aggressive act towards anyone within either of these communities and as such expect that I have earned this basic level of respect.

Finally, the last thing perceived as a signal of trouble is secrecy by the leadership of
MOC. I want to be very clear that there are no secrets. Many things about our organization should not be discussed in a public forum. I have personally received less emails requesting information than the number of fingers on my dominate hand; and those have been received just today. Furthermore, those requests have already been answered directly to the questioners.

Moving forward, I would like to point out that the sheer volume of attendees at the seminar in Utica indicated just what an important job Michigan Open Carry is doing for patriots in this great state. I cannot recall how many people have expressed their gratitude to us for our work and informing them of their rights to self-defense. We are truly at a crossroad with our current climate and this is our opportunity to shine. Let us continue paving the way to a safer future for the next generation. Let us make our ancestors that founded this great nation proud that we are finally carrying the torch of freedom. Let us show our servicemen and servicewomen that we appreciate their dedication to our freedom and that we will take of the homeland while they fight the necessary battles overseas. Let us be… AMERICANS!

Regards,

Jeff Sayers

eastmeyers

imported post

First things first, thank you for posting this for all to read.

Second, let me say that I am disappointed by ALL that are playing politics here! All that criticized MOC inc, and the Officers of MOC and the members. I for one have not yet become a member due to financial reasons, although I have been a member of OCDO for two years. I am one of the long standing members of OCDO (mostly Michigan forum), longer than 90% or more of the members, I for one will no longer try to join MOC inc. I don't want to be part of the hate, I respect all of the MOC inc officers, and former officers, all of them, I just will not get caught up in the politics. Too many people don't step back and realize that we are ALL on the same freakin side, this is ridiculous!

Everyone should take a step back, and take a breath before they post anything, seriously, think before you speak/write.

I will continue to support OC and CC, and all the rights of the Constitution of The USA!!!

God Bless and Semper FI!!!

Yooper

imported post

I'm in the same boat as eastmyers, been here for a while now (since '06), just don't have money for anything....

YooperInCO is my old screen name, posted it so you can see my original join date.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
Per my understanding, our Events Coordinator is still with us :) :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
Yeah, I'm still here, at least until I lose my home or I'm removed...whichever comes first I suppose. :?

eastmeyers

imported post

Yooper wrote:
I'm in the same boat as eastmyers, been here for a while now (since '06), just don't have money for anything....

YooperInCO is my old screen name, posted it so you can see my original join date.
God bless ya!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
viperar15 wrote:
Per my understanding, our Events Coordinator is still with us :) :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
Yeah, I'm still here, at least until I lose my home or I'm removed...whichever comes first I suppose. :?
Hang in there. There are still a few strands left.

DanM

imported post

In the Novi Gander Mountain seminar thread, mikestilly asked "wasn.t john suppose to do the presentation? Is this at risk?"

Can someone answer, please? It's a littleover a week away.

anetsprungen

Assyria Township, Barry County, Michigan, USA
imported post

Jeff,

Thank you for your post. Also, thank you for the personal phone call last Sunday about my membership packet.

Since learning about MOC, at the beginning of this month, I have learned many valuable things about this organization. Within the first week I chose to join because I believe in what MOC, Inc. is about.

In my waning years of federal employment I am still actively involved in day-to-day work, but my work schedule is becoming more and more flexible. By the end of this year I will have just three years before I am eligible to retire and better able to offer more active support to this group.

Between leaders and followers, I am clearly a follower, and only lead when I have no other option. I rarely speak up, unless I have a question or believe I have something to offer. I have spent literally hours & days reading old messages, trying to get a feel for the membership's attitudes and demeanor. I have been truly impressed with the scope of participant discussions, whether by dues paying members, interested persons or somebody just looking for answers. From time to time I have noticed some people just wanting to vent and choosing the Michigan sub-forum for their soapbox. All in all, though, it has been a good experience and I hope to continue it as a member for a long time.

I also want to thank you for the news about a new forum. I look forward to it with anticipation. Now I'll get off my soapbox.

Take care all.

Roy
:cool:
"Open Carry when I can, Concealed Carry when I must."