• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry List for St. Louis County

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

Just added the city Crestwood to the OC LEGAL list. There codes are directly linked to the cities home page here http://www.ci.crestwood.mo.us/There are no OC specific restrictions written into their code. Other than maybe this oddly worded law that I have not seen inany other municipality. Gun +area with possible animals = violation.

Sec. 16-6. Hunting.

(a)No person shall hunt any wild game, birds or animals with firearms, airguns, air-rifles or bows and arrows within the city.

(b)It shall be prima facie evidence and proof of the violation of this section if it is established that any person carrying firearms or airguns or air-rifles and cartridges, bullets or missiles adapted thereto, whether such person is accompanied by hunting dogs or not, is found in any open fields, woods, lots or other places where wild game, birds or animals may reasonably be expected to be found.

Doc

Justin

imported post

As per

http://library3.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=11218&doc_action=whatsnew

22-103 it appears that Maplewood is OC legal.

But like crestwood
http://library3.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=11218&doc_action=whatsnew

23-37(E)(7), not in parks due to "hunting and wildlife" concerns

And as per
http://www.kirkwoodmo.org/admin/city-clerk/PDF Files for Code/Chapter 17.pdf

17-131

kirkwood, mo also does not have any law against OC, but no go in parks sec 18-9

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

Justin wrote:
As per

22-103 it appears that Maplewood is OC legal.

But like Crestwood

23-37(E)(7), not in parks due to "hunting and wildlife" concerns

And as per
http://www.kirkwoodmo.org/admin/city-clerk/PDF%20Files%20for%20Code/Chapter%2017.pdf

17-131

Kirkwood, mo also does not have any law against OC, but no go in parks sec 18-9

Kirkwood has no restrictions listed on their website but it also says that the codes listed aren't complete and to inquire with them to check on any specific laws. Next time I am in their area I plan on going down to city hall and looking at the codes if allowed to.

I will check Maplewood and put them on the list as soon as I do my next update.

Doc

Drytchnath

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
but you have to take a class that they hold

Did you happen to inquire as to:

1) Who is "they"?

2) Who teaches the class?

3) How long is it? (8 hours? 10 days? A semester?)

4) Where is it held? (date/time/location)

5) Do they offer certification/licence/permit?

6a) If yes, who recognizes it?When I get the "OCpermit", does it allow me to OC downtown?

6b) If no, what is the point?

7) Who governs what cirriculum is included? (i.e. Does the Governor insist on section covering hosler types such as retention, IWB, leather etc.? Or is it the police chief? or maybe the mayor?)

8) Where is the authority to "teach" OC cirriculum provided for? (Is this a fundedmandate?) After all, I'm a taxpayer. I don't remember voting for a new "O.C. Class" to be taught using my tax dollars.

9) Where is the requirement for this class covered in Revised Missouri Statutes? What chapter? (I must have missed it.)

10) If it isn't in RMoS, what chapter in Mancester code references this "class"? (I must have missed it.)

11) If it isn't in RMoS, or Manchester City code, is it a memo or something?

12) If it is a memo, who wrote it?

13) After we find out who wrote it, what authority do they have?

Cause if they can write a memo that is enforceable by the police......

....wouldn't this be a strange kind of government operation? After all, I am completely unaware of any city in Missouri that is governed by it's own dictatorship. Manchester must be the first.

All hail the almighty writer of memos!

Couldn't this memo writer also write a memo requiring you to take a typing class in order to openly write a letter in Manchester?

I would be interested in who informed you of this requirement so I could be informed as well. Please offer me his or her contact information so Imay have my questions addressed.

Thanks!
It is definitely not in City ordinance but the information I got when I called the Manchester police station and redirected to their 'subject matter expert', don't remember the name, was that the police department had a class that you had to take before you could legally open carry. Seeing as how it's not in the ordinance it seems just like they are trying to bullshit their way into making you think it's illegal. You could call most stations and get different answers each time you called as long as you talk to a different person each time. Until then I'll just go by the ordinances and have fun debating laws with the cops.

nrepuyan

imported post

for those in the stl / stl co / st cha areas...if i can colaborate with this thread and doc on locating these in the digital publications, and put them all into a pdf file [only the small section pertaining to oc ordinances etc, so you don't have to flip thru pages and pages]...maybe that you can put on your smart phone for access or download and print off and put in a binder for your vehicle, would anyone be interested?

i've kind of already started this project personally for me for areas i frequent...take em straight from the site they are on and convert em and add the complete location in that area's code at the top for quick reference blah blah blah. thought it might be handy for myself...as i think doc prints his off to carry with him already?

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

Ok a few updates I found the codes from the city's websites for The following: Sunset Hills, Westwood, Huntleigh, Eureka, Clarkson Valley and Kirkwood. I called Kirkwoodas well as they say to contact them due to the online codes may not be complete.

I went in person to Edmundson city hall. They graciously handed me there code book and for free copied th pages I asked for.

I went to Kinlock city hall. They stalled, refused, gave mis-information, stalled, refused again and then finally said that they couldn't give access without an appointment. I told them that what they were doing was illegal, took their number and went on my way.

I went to Dellwood's city hall. They wanted me to go through the city's admin. He showed up after about 30min and was very frank about they have no specific weapons codes. They go by the states standards. Though they are working with Sullivan Codes to have their own codes and have them in place and online by 2/2011.

I went to The Village of Champ. Located at hwy 70 and 270. I could find no city hall or PD station. Not to mention it looks like they do not have enough people living there to be their own incorporation. I'm not sure who PDs for them and if they fall under the counties wacky code.

Doc

sohighlyunlikely

We have gained a lot of new people(a few in St Louis Co) since the Starbucks OC group started OCing around St Louis county. I thought I would bring this list up and how it was derived. This should help some of the new people in there desires to OC.

Doc

kylemoul

i emailed bella-villa and they said they have an ordinance stating its a class C misdemeanor to opencarry.

sohighlyunlikely

i emailed Bella-villa and they said they have an ordinance stating its a class C misdemeanor to opencarry.

I think that is probably the truth, but I won't put anything on the list that I haven't personally seen the public listing of the codes or read the codes 1st hand. You have to also take into account if their are exceptions like OC with CCW. Would they tell you. Probably not.

Doc

jad316

Doc, below is the ordiance for Maplewood off of municode.com. I can't find where it allows open carry verbage? Please help me understand how to read this.

jim

Sec. 22-103. Weapons generally.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to wear under his clothes, or to conceal about his person, or to display in a threatening manner, any dangerous or deadly weapon including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, slingshot, blackjack, cross-knuckles or knuckles of lead, brass or other material, or any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, razor or any knife resembling a bowie knife or having a blade in excess of two and one-half (2 1/2) inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer to sell, display, use, possess or carry any knife having the appearance of a pocketknife, the blade of which can be opened by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle or other mechanical contrivance. Any such knife is hereby declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon and shall be subject to forfeiture to the city as provided in this section.
(c) No person shall sell to a minor under the age of sixteen (16) years, without the consent of that child's guardian or parents, any ammunition, firearms, or any deadly weapon.
(d) No person other than a police officer shall discharge any firearms except during some patriotic celebration, or at some shooting match under the control of a responsible person.
(e) Every person convicted of any violation of this section shall forfeit to the city such dangerous or deadly weapon so concealed or displayed.
(f) Nothing in this section shall be construed to forbid United States marshals, sheriffs, constables and their deputies, and any regular, special or ex officio police officer, or any other law enforcement officer of the United States, the state, the county or the city, or any other authorized member of the city government from carrying or wearing, while on duty, such weapons as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of their duties.
(g) It shall be the duty of every police officer, upon making an arrest and taking such a concealed weapon from the person of the offender, to deliver such weapon to the chief of police to be held by him until the final determination of the prosecution for such offense; and upon a finding of guilty, it shall then be the duty of the chief of police to dispose of such weapon as directed by the municipal judge.
(h) It shall be unlawful for any person carrying an air weapon (as defined herein) to willfully enter or go upon the premises or property of another, or to fire or discharge any air weapon while on the premises or property of another, or to fire any projectile from an air weapon over, into through or across the premises or property of another without first having obtained the written permission from the owner, lessee or person in charge of such premises or property. It shall also be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air weapon from, across or into any street, sidewalk, road, highway or any park. As used herein, the term "air weapon" shall mean any air rifle, air gun or pistol, BB gun, sling shot, spring gun or gun or rifle containing a gas-propelled cartridge, tear gas gun, vapor gas gun or any similar weapon, whether such be classed as a toy or not, which impels with force a projectile or pellet of any kind.
(i) Subsection (a) of this section, as it applies to firearms, shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to RSMo § 571.094 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.
(Code 1972, § 305.19; Ord. No. 4842, § I, 9-8-98; Ord. No. 5129, § 2, 10-14-03)

jad316

Doc, below we have the ordiance for Olivette and you can clearly see #6 it quotes "Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use within the City limits" then we have the exception rule as follows:

D. Subparagraphs (1), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to Sections 571.101 to 571.121, RSMo., or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another State or political subdivision of another State.

My question is howdo your really know whats what they dont really mention "open carry in the verbage"
Sorry for the long post just really trying to understand it full.

Jim

SECTION 215.340: WEAPONS -- CARRYING CONCEALED -- OTHER UNLAWFUL USE
A. A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he/she knowingly:
1. Carries concealed upon or about his/her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;
2. Sets a spring gun;
3. Discharges or shoots a firearm within the City limits;*
4. Exhibits, in the presence of one (1) or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner;
5. Possesses a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated;
6. Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use within the City limits;
7. Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.
B. Subparagraphs (1), (3), (4), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to or affect any of the following:

1. All State, County and Municipal Peace Officers who have completed the training required by the Police Officer Standards and Training Commission pursuant to Sections 590.030 to 590.050, RSMo., and possessing the duty and power of arrest for violation of the general criminal laws of the State or for violation of ordinances of Counties or Municipalities of the State, whether such officers are on or off duty and whether such officers are within or outside of the Law Enforcement Agency's jurisdiction or all qualified retired Peace Officers, as defined in Subsection (10) of Section 571.030, RSMo., and who carry the identification defined in Subsection (11) of Section 571.030, RSMo., or any person summoned by such officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while actually engaged in assisting such officer;

2. Wardens, superintendents and keepers of prisons, penitentiaries, jails and other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of crime;
3. Members of the Armed Forces or National Guard while performing their official duty;
4. Those persons vested by Article V, Section 1 of the Constitution of Missouri with the judicial power of the State and those persons vested by Article III of the Constitution of the United States with the judicial power of the United States, the members of the Federal judiciary;
5. Any person whose bona fide duty is to execute process, civil or criminal;
6. Any Federal Probation Officer or Federal Flight Deck Officer as defined under the Federal Flight Deck Officer Program, 49 U.S.C. Section 44921;
7. Any State Probation or Parole Officer, including supervisors and members of the Board of Probation and Parole;
8. Any corporate security advisor meeting the definition and fulfilling the requirements of the regulations established by the Board of Police Commissioners under Section 84.340, RSMo.; and
9. Any coroner, deputy coroner, medical examiner or assistant medical examiner.
C. Subparagraphs (1), (5), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a non-functioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subparagraph (1) of Subsection (A) of this Section does not apply to any person twenty-one (21) years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game or is in his/her dwelling unit or upon premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this State. Subparagraph (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section does not apply if the firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed by a person while traversing school premises for the purposes of transporting a student to or from school or possessed by an adult for the purposes of facilitation of a school-sanctioned firearm-related event.
D. Subparagraphs (1), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to Sections 571.101 to 571.121, RSMo., or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another State or political subdivision of another State.
E. Subparagraphs (3), (4), (5), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to persons who are engaged in a lawful act of defense pursuant to Section 563.031, RSMo.
F. Nothing in this Section shall make it unlawful for a student to actually participate in school-sanctioned gun safety courses, student military or ROTC courses or other school-sponsored firearm-related events, provided the student does not carry a firearm or other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus or onto the premises of any other function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

Note--Under certain circumstances this offense can be a felony under state law.
*State Law Reference--Section 252.243.3, RSMo., limits the discharge of firearms in certain areas known as Hunting Heritage Protection Areas, which are defined therein.

sohighlyunlikely

Doc, below we have the ordinance for Olivette and you can clearly see #6 it quotes "Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use within the City limits" then we have the exception rule as follows:

My question is how do your really know whats what they don't really mention "open carry in the verbiage"
Sorry for the long post just really trying to understand it full.

Jim

I made another section here to answer your question.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?85219-Answer-to-how-is-Open-Carry-legal-in-Missouri&p=1440212#post1440212