• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question.

theqbn

imported post

In a case with the mag or cylinder unloaded, no loaded mags or cylinders present.

Also, if you're 19 how'd you get a handgun? There are legal routes but unfortunately your parents/relatives giving you one is a FELONY on their part as the law stands. If you purchased it legally out of state and then moved here you would be fine.

poddus

imported post

theqbn is correct, however I did find a loophole in that law a while ago. You can read about it here:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/34205.html

tl;dr - if both you and the owner of the handgun are citizens of ohio and go to a state where it is legal to sell a handgun to and purchase as an 18-year-old, and you complete the transaction there, and then come back to ohio, then the transfer is legal.*

If I were you I wouldn't write here how the transfer did or did not happen, wait until something happens. No need to misstate something here and get in trouble for it down the road.

cheers,

-poddus

*IANAL

theqbn

imported post

Interesting find, poddus. I would definitely exercise the 5th if I was under 21 and had purchased a pistol that way, because I simply wouldn't have the money to be a test case for that.

steveman01

imported post

I've got a ? of my own. My permit is not valid in Ohio, and don't plan on getting on that is:

I'll be visiting a friend that lives in a g'ment assisted apartment that is next door to a school (yeah bad combination) and is very frequented by police. So I want to be sure about the law before I chance a felony situation.

Will I be gtg as far as OC on/around his place?

Does OH have any laws regarding "one in the pipe"?

Carry and shootingin state parks?

RT48

imported post

steveman01 wrote:
I've got a ? of my own. My permit is not valid in Ohio, and don't plan on getting on that is:

I'll be visiting a friend that lives in a g'ment assisted apartment that is next door to a school (yeah bad combination) and is very frequented by police. So I want to be sure about the law before I chance a felony situation.

Will I be gtg as far as OC on/around his place?

Does OH have any laws regarding "one in the pipe"?

Carry and shootingin state parks?
OC is legal in state parks. Shooting can only be done at designated shooting ranges. Here is the list of ranges at state parks and preserves.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/wild_resourcessubhomepage/shooting_infolandingpage/shooting_ranges_default/tabid/17601/Default.aspx

poddus

imported post

@NavyLT:

oh my, that's a pretty glaring oversight on my part :/ you are correct and I will add this information to our thread (with proper accreditation of course) :)

(for clarification to anyone reading along)
I only really took the Code of Federal Regulations into account when I wrote the final explanation in the aforementioned thread, which has very clear similarities to 18 USC 922 (a)(5) but is, however, more lenient than 18 USC 922 (a)(3). (a)(3) contradicts the CFR and (a)(5) in this regard, but, since (a)(3) specifically prohibits this type of transfer regardless of the exemption in the CFR and (a)(5), any transfer of this sort would be illegal.* In layman's terms, just because something is exempted in one code doesn't mean it isn't outlawed in another. Yeah, I agree, it's a mess.

hope I covered all the bases.

cheers,

-poddus

*IANAL

the last gunfighter

? here

I live in PA I'll be in Lisbon Ohio Sat is OC legal without permit or will they except my PA LTCF ( license to carry firearms) and have to CC. Any info is greatly excepted

RT48

Ohio does not recognize the PA LTCF.

OC is legal without any license as long as you are not in a motor vehicle. Only those with an Ohio CHL or another state's license recognized by Ohio can carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle. You will have to empty all your magazines before entering your vehicle because an empty gun and a loaded magazine that fits it, makes the gun "loaded" in a legal sense if not in a practical sense.