• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to Wausau? Friendiy to OC or not

Optimus Prime

imported post

Back OT...

I've carried at Gander Mountain and Barnes & Noble in the Wausau area with the only problem of a shotgun I wasn't planning on buying following me out of Gander. These stores aren't in Wausau proper though, but Rothschild and Rib Mountain respectively, close enough that people outside of the Wausau area think of them as Wausau anyway.
That said, I can't comment on how the Wausau PD feel about things, but I haven't heard any complaints about them in the OC community yet either.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

lance galloway wrote:
Wausau . ??? are thay frendly to OC.
Not friendly enough to remove their unenforceable ordinance:

"9.08.010 Discharging and carrying firearms and guns prohibited. (a) No person, except a sheriff, constable, police officer, or their deputies, shall fire or discharge any firearm, rifle, bow, arrow, spear, spring or air gun of any description within the city or have any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun in his possession or under his control unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container..."

Elysium

imported post

I have OC'd in Rib Moutain stores like Walmart and Gamestop with no trouble.Rib Mtis managed by the Sheriifs Dept and I have had no trouble OC. I have not OC'd downtown Wausau and would imagine you would at least get the cops called. I would love to OC downtown, but in that case would want support of others instead of being a lone wolf. Lets get a summeropencarry event there!Wausau has a great center square park that would make a great rally area. Its is basiclyin the center of the state for travel. Any support behind this? Also what would it take to get the city to repeal its ordinace that violates preemtion laws? Wausau also has a bike map that lists all the schools. The city square does not appear to be near any school.

http://www.co.marathon.wi.us/is/pln/pdf/WausauAreaBikePedMap.pdf

I do want to point out how on this forum/thread someone asks a legit question and then the rest of the thread turns into mostly rubbish and off topic discussion usually by someone who likes to use big words and then abunchof people feed off him.Juststick to the topic please!

tpos

imported post

I would be up for an open carry get together in Wausau. Also, I have not done any opencarrying off of my property, but I would like to get together with some other people open carrying so that I can get used to it.

Elysium

imported post

Well that makes 2 of us so far who would attend some sort of get together.

It took a lot of courage those first few times. I haven't seen anyone in the Wausauarea open carrying. Its not like I do it regularly either. I plan to more this summer now that I've got the first few done and over with.

Elysium

imported post

yeah I know of at least 1 other

Lets pick a date, start small and see who shows up.

Then maybe a larger gathering

tpos

imported post

Just so long as it's not June 2-9, because my buddies and I are going down to Front Sight training institute for their 4 day defensive handgun course. :lol: Just about any other time will work though.

Elysium

imported post

Sweet. Is frontsight still giving away handguns for attending? Can't think ofa better reason to go to Vegas. As for Wausau, what would a good proving ground be? Starbucks? I haven't carried there yet.

tpos

imported post

Well Starbucks would be good, and just about any business in Rib Mtn. I have checked out the School zone situation in that area, and there is only one school in Rib Mtn. And that is directly behind the Mtn. and 1000 ft is not anywhere close to any of the businesses

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. will be at the Bob and Rocco Memorial Gun Show in Antigo, WI on April 9, 10, 11, 2010.

Check out http://www.wisconsincarry.org/events.html for details.

Antigo is about an hour North-East of Wausau.

We would be more than happy to meet with a group of members interested in organizing an event in the Wausau area.

We can meet at the gun show, or some wherearound there as I will be at theAntigo gun show.

Contact me directly to make arrangements.

Hubert Hoffman, Vice President
Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
P.O. Box 270403
Milwaukee, WI. 53227
Hubert@wisconsincarry.org
608-792-0669
http://www.wisconsincarry.org

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Just a reminder, the GFSZ (School Zone) doesn't apply to private property. We can carry ina McDonalds, Walmart, Subway, Starbucks, Perkins, Denny's, whatever, as long as they have off street parking and we remain on their private property.

I go to grocery stores in School Zones all the time. As long as I stay within the confines of their property, I am legal-beagle.

Elysium

imported post

Or you could swing by Wausau on your way back to Lacrosse lol.Honestly Icant drive to Antigo to pay $5to get into a gun show just to meet you.IfI was lookingto get a gun maybe. Don't get me wrong I 'd love to meet you andsee what you got setup though.

My first attempt at open carry in public was at a Bob and Rocco show at Cedar Creek Mall in Rothchild. Too bad they made me zip tie my guns actionand remove the mag. It barely fit in the holster. Would a zip tie stop anyone from cutting it with a pocketknife and loading a mag? At least I OC'd in the parking lot on the way in to the show and picked up a nice Rem pump 30-06. I wrote an email to Bob about the foolishness of zip tieing an action on a gun for security but never heard back.

tpos

imported post

Yup I realize that. The only reason I mentioned it wad because it would be somthing you don't have to worry about at all in the area.

Elysium

imported post

well there are 2 schools in rib mt. North and South Mt Elementry. Did you see my map in the post earlier? Someone should make a 1000'ft radius map outta that. But right on about the Private Property.

Do you know if a school forest would be considered a school? I posted a thread before but didn't really get a straitanswer.

edit. guess School forest a no-no

[align=left]“School premises” means any school building, grounds,[/align]

[align=left]recreation area or athletic field or any other property owned, used[/align]
or operated for school administration.

Wisconsin Carry Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Elysium wrote:
Or you could swing by Wausau on your way back to Lacrosse lol.Honestly Icant drive to Antigo to pay $5to get into a gun show just to meet you.IfI was lookingto get a gun maybe. Don't get me wrong I 'd love to meet you andsee what you got setup though.
The show closes at 5pm on Saturday, and 3PM on Sunday.

I would be more than happy to make the hour trip from Antigo to Wausau to meet with some folks. Get a few of your friends together, and find a family restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol.

EMail me to arrange the when/where.

Hubert Hoffman, Vice President
Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
P.O. Box 270403
Milwaukee, WI. 53227
Hubert@wisconsincarry.org
608-792-0669
http://www.wisconsincarry.org

Elysium

imported post

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Sun afternoon would work. How bout you Tpos? there are plenty of local diners that would work.