• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10mm Carry Ammo

CraigC178

imported post

I just bought a Colt Delta Elite off of gunbroker and need ammo recommendations. I handload my practice ammo, but have always been in the habit of carrying factory stuff. I've heard great things about Double Taps 10mm loads. I've had a bad experience with their 454 Casull but I think its time to give them a second chance.

From my webernet research of their loads it looks like the 165gr Golden Sabers is too hot for the bullet. Every test I've found has said that the core and jacket separated.

I guess that I'm just looking for input on their other loads or other factory defense loads... my only requirement is that they be real 10mm loads and not "10mm Light" or "10mm FBI".

I'm not particularly recoil or muzzle blast adverse so they are not real considerations in choosing my ammo. The Colt replacing my recently sold Ruger Blackhawk 5 1/2" that I loaded 260gr Sierra JHC's over 27.4gr of W296.

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

Hornady Custom Item #9129- 10MM 200 Grain XTP- Muzzle velocity 1050 FPS/490 ENERGY.....This is what I would recommend if you are not happy with Double Tap.. I carry the Double Tap most of the time I would say that you probably got a bad batch on your problem box. I also carry the Hornady that I suggested here. I have it 4 my .45 ACP to in 230 Grain... I have never had any problems with these rounds and for S/D they are cheap, about $20 for 20 rounds... The double tap in 10mm is a nasty round, give'em another try.....G30

CraigC178

imported post

ProtectedByGlock wrote:
Hornady Custom Item #9129- 10MM 200 Grain XTP- Muzzle velocity 1050 FPS/490 ENERGY.....This is what I would recommend if you are not happy with Double Tap.. I carry the Double Tap most of the time I would say that you probably got a bad batch on your problem box. I also carry the Hornady that I suggested here. I have it 4 my .45 ACP to in 230 Grain... I have never had any problems with these rounds and for S/D they are cheap, about $20 for 20 rounds... The double tap in 10mm is a nasty round, give'em another try.....G30

I am going to give Double Tap another shot. I think tht I'l just order their value pack and try out a couple of rounds. Its really disapointing to see all of the major manufacturers loads are all to the old "10mm FBI" specs. If I wanted to carry a 40 S&W I wouldn't have bought a 10mm.

The problem that I had with double tap before was a box of 454 casull that was uncrimped. My roommate had never hunted with a handgun before and asked me advice for hunting ammo for his raging bull. I steered him toward double tap... The ammo that they sent him was all un-crimped and the bullets in the unfired chambers were comming unseated from the recoil. Every 2 or 3 shots one would come out far enough that the weapon wouldn't cycle. I basically never ordered from double tap again because they made me look like an a$s for recommending them. In their defense, I cannot say if he ever contacted them about the problem to give them a chance to make it right.

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

I would try to get something at a gun show or do alot of researching if you are having problems getting what u want...Try www.ask.com as a search engine, I get alot of great results concerning my firearm/ammo needs....

G30

"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProtectedByGlock wrote:
SNIP "The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

:)

Also, this from the Holy Gospel of John (Moses Browning):

1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

To read more,follow the link. It is quite good. I laughed out loud a number of times.http://www.frfrogspad.com/jmb.htm

Springfield45

imported post

I've found the double tap, Hornady Custom and the 175gr Winchester silvertips to be pretty stout 10mm loads.

I've heard bad things about the reliability of the sivertips expanding, so I choose
to carry the 180 gr Hornady Custom XTP in my Glock 20, and an additional mag full.
As well as a full mag in the glovebox loaded with 180 Speer Gold Dot handloads.

~~Springfield
ETA

Alexcabbie

imported post

I have no doubt the 1911 is a fine design. But let me ask all you guys who insist that carrying a 1911 in Conditon One is perfectly safe:

Would you strap a 1911 in Condition One into an ankle holster and do a flamenco dance?

If those safties failed, I guess it might liven up your footwork.......:cool:

CraigC178

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I have no doubt the 1911 is a fine design. But let me ask all you guys who insist that carrying a 1911 in Conditon One is perfectly safe:

Would you strap a 1911 in Condition One into an ankle holster and do a flamenco dance?

I'm not much of a dancer... I gave up drinking 2.5 years ago and realized that I was nowhere near as talented on the dance floor as I had once believed...

If those safties failed, I guess it might liven up your footwork.......:cool:

I spent plenty of time carrying an M4 in condition 1 and never worried about a safety failing. I'd be more concerned with a loose pistol grip screw causing a selector detent failure (not that I've ever seen or heard of it happening) than a well maintained 1911's thumb safety failing. Even if it did, you'd still have the grip safety and that little detail about disengaging the sear (I.E. trigger pull). As long as a 1911 hasn't been messed with by an unqualified DIY 'smith it is perfectly safe in condition 1.

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

The question that I have about condition one is almost every manual for new handguns(1911) tells you not to carry the weapon this way. Is this to CYA approach from the manufactor's side? G30

CraigC178

imported post

ProtectedByGlock wrote:
The question that I have about condition one is almost every manual for new handguns(1911) tells you not to carry the weapon this way. Is this to CYA approach from the manufactor's side? G30

Its CYA. I've looked through several manufacturer's manuals and most are mute on the method of carry and a few even go as far as insisting that weapons be unloaded and cased when not actively firing.

That being said... S&W's manual does address the mater in plain bright red english.

"WARNING:NEVER ATTEMPT TO CARRY YOUR
PISTOL WITH THE HAMMER DOWN ON A LIVE
CARTRIDGE. THIS WOULD REQUIRE YOU TO
DECOCK THE PISTOL WITH A LIVE ROUND IN THE
CHAMBER. DECOCKING THE HAMMER OVER A
LIVE ROUND SHOULD NEVER BE ATTEMPTED. TO
DO SO COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR
DEATH TO YOU OR OTHERS"

Colt specifically addresses condition of carry. Note that they use their own system of "modes" 1-3 that are in the opposite order as the "condition system" that we are all accustomed to.

"CARRYING MODES

NOTE: This pistol may be carried in any one of the following three modes
according to your needs:

Mode 1: - MAGAZINE EMPTY, CHAMBER EMPTY.
- Pistol cannot be discharged.
- Use Mode 1 for storage, transporting, cleaning, repair,
demonstrating and dry practice.

Mode 2: - MAGAZINE LOADED, CHAMBER EMPTY, HAMMER DOWN.
- Pistol cannot be fired until slide is cycled and trigger is squeezed.
- Use Mode 2 when CARRYING THE PISTOL READY FOR USE.

Mode 3: - MAGAZINE LOADED, CHAMBER LOADED, HAMMER
COCKED, SAFETY ON.
- Pistol can be fired when slide lock safety is off and trigger
is squeezed.
- Use Mode 3 when you MUST BE PREPARED to use the pistol
IMMEDIATELY without warning."

Colt has a warning about lowering the hammer similar to S&W:

"CAUTION: DO NOT CARRY YOUR PISTOL WITH THE HAMMER DOWN ON
A LIVE CARTRIDGE. To do so means you must lower the hammer. To lower
the hammer you must squeeze the trigger. When you squeeze the trigger
you disengage the firing pin lock. This is not a safe condition. Instead, we
urge you to follow the instructions in this manual. When you do, you can
enjoy the safe use of your pistol."

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

yeah, i was not thinking the hammer would be sitting on the casing.DUH, hammers down its gonna touch it... I have never owned nor shot a 1911...I am looking for an entry level one at a decent price, imma try 1911forums.com or something like that to get advice on a make/model that would be a good starter 1911 for a gun enthusiest...I have had pistols for 15+ years but not a 1911..no reason why just prefered double action, i have had smaller 1911 clones so to speak but not a true 1911-A1 witch is what I want.......Thanks for the info Graig, I appreciate it...

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I can not imagine carrying my 1911's any way but cocked and locked, that is the way Mr. Browning wanted it.

Marco

imported post

CraigC178 wrote:
I've heard great things about Double Taps 10mm loads. I've had a bad experience with their 454 Casull but I think its time to give them a second chance.

From my webernet research of their loads it looks like the 165gr Golden Sabers is too hot for the bullet. Every test I've found has said that the core and jacket separated.

I guess that I'm just looking for input on their other loads or other factory defense loads... my only requirement is that they be real 10mm loads and not "10mm Light" or "10mm FBI".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZKxB8GATLU&feature=related

If you're worried about seperation try DT's bonded (Gold Dot) or their Barnes X loads.
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_25

Reed's and Georgia Arms also have good 10mm loads, Buffalo Bore has a 180gr XTP @ 1300+ fps.
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=114

http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=16

http://georgia-arms.com/10mm-1.aspx

Dreamer

imported post

I have 10 unopened boxes of NOS (new old stock) Winchester Black Talon 10mm. If anyone is interested in working something out, PM me.

According to Winchester's own PR, the new STX ammo is essentially an improved Black Talon. The biggest "improvement" they made was to take the black dye out of the Lubalox coating, and trimmed the points of the "talons" so they don't expand as wide...

The LEO verson of the STX, the Ranger-T is essentially the EXACT same bullet as the Black talon, sans black coating on the bullet. They still have a polymer lubricant, only it's clear, not colored black...