• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just what kind of Carry is this ?

wrcken2

imported post

Ok Ladies and Gentleman, I need some help on this one. As you can see form the pictures, I carry a Smith & Wesson 9mm. I have carried this way for many years now. Pretty mush dress casual every day. Never make any attempt to cover up, unless I put on a coat or jacket if its cold. I do every thing this way, get gas, and go to work. Carry at work shop at most stores. I do stay away from bars and liquor stores.
The other day I had a short discussion with a friend. He said that he was concerned that I may be in violation of my CPL, or Michigan Carry Laws. Well this got me to thinking. I have looked on this site through many of the forum posts, and am unable to find anything that may answer my concerns. Does anybody have any input?

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Having A CPL you are ok to carry as pictured. If it is OC or CC is going to be a huge debate. However if you are going to go to a location where by law you have to OC I would suggest another holster and avoid the IWB.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

IMO, any rational person would consider that a method of open carry, but there are officers and prosecutors out there who think otherwise. Gray areas are locations where you may only open carry WITH a cpl, and whether or not you must disclose as required by concealed weapons legislation. There is no case law to my knowledge defining that method as one way or the other.

eta:you're too fast, dougwg.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Just as backup to what these guys have said, there are members here who have run into legal trouble using this very method of carry, so this isn't just speculation.

I would say treat it like CC until someone makes case law. :?

Michigander

imported post

If you ever need to carry openly under your CPL into a criminal empowerment zone, you should tuck the holster between your belt and pants, rather than inside your pants, so that the holster and gun are completely visible aside from the small amount of holster that the belt will cover.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

wrcken2 wrote:
Ok Ladies and Gentleman, I need some help on this one. As you can see form the pictures, I carry a Smith & Wesson 9mm. I have carried this way for many years now. Pretty mush dress casual every day. Never make any attempt to cover up, unless I put on a coat or jacket if its cold. I do every thing this way, get gas, and go to work. Carry at work shop at most stores. I do stay away from bars and liquor stores.
The other day I had a short discussion with a friend. He said that he was concerned that I may be in violation of my CPL, or Michigan Carry Laws. Well this got me to thinking. I have looked on this site through many of the forum posts, and am unable to find anything that may answer my concerns. Does anybody have any input?
Ok, I have one question. Why avoid liquor stores?

DanM

imported post

wrcken2 wrote:
I need some help on this one. . . .

Carrying openly in an IWB holsterdoes not have any case law yet which has defined whether or not juries or courts inMichiganwill consider it "open carry" or "concealed carry". Some prosecutors haveconsidered it concealed carry, and have charged peopleaccordingly. Thus far, no case has gone to trial and resulted in eitheracquittal or conviction of someone openly carrying IWB and charged with a CCW violation.

Unless you have the time and money to be a potential test case, treat IWB open carry as concealed carry. That means, don't do it unless you have a CPL and don't do it if going into aconcealed carry "pistol-free" zone.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

DanM wrote:
wrcken2 wrote:
I need some help on this one. . . .

Carrying openly in an IWB holsterdoes not have any case law yet which has defined whether or not juries or courts inMichiganwill consider it "open carry" or "concealed carry". Some prosecutors haveconsidered it concealed carry, and have charged peopleaccordingly. Thus far, no case has gone to trial and resulted in eitheracquittal or conviction of someone openly carrying IWB and charged with a CCW violation.

Unless you have the time and money to be a potential test case, treat IWB open carry as concealed carry. That means, don't do it unless you have a CPL and don't do it if going into aconcealed carry "pistol-free" zone.
I thought someone had been arrested using an IWB for open carry. At least I recall seeing a message thread to that effect.

Leader

imported post

budlight wrote:
As others have advised, don't carry this way. It is a gray area and could easily be considered CC.

As others have advised, don't carry this way. It is a gray area and could easily be considered OC.

It may attract the attention of police and concerned citizens that will call about a "Man With A Gun". You will scare children & little old ladies. Not to mention well adjusted macho men that are secure about their manhood.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Leader wrote:
budlight wrote:
As others have advised, don't carry this way. It is a gray area and could easily be considered CC.

As others have advised, don't carry this way. It is a gray area and could easily be considered OC.

It may attract the attention of police and concerned citizens that will call about a "Man With A Gun". You will scare children & little old ladies. Not to mention well adjusted macho men that are secure about their manhood.
In regards to the parts of you post I have highlighted in bold...

I do believe that "well adjusted macho men that are secure about their manhood" are "children" who act like "little old ladies".

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sad to say I've met entirely too many of those "macho men" who wet their panties at the sight of someone carrying a gun.:(

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator