• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

T. Vance & Kimberguy LEO encounter with A2 Police

manicdevery

imported post

I still have a hard time believing this story, friggin sweet.

could someone please post an address i can send my thanks to in regards to this encounter please and thank you.

Devery

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

manicdevery wrote:
I still have a hard time believing this story, friggin sweet.

could someone please post an address i can send my thanks to in regards to this encounter please and thank you.

Devery
Lucky thing he's got a recording of the encounter. :)

Zukirider

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I sent the following email to the A2 Chief of police, the Mayor, and all of the City Council members.

"Dear Chief Barnett Jones,

I just wanted to inform of anencounter that took place in an Ann Arbor Kroger (400 S Maple Rd, Ann Arbor, MI)parking lot on March 25th, 2010 sometime between 4:15pm - 4:25pm with one of your officers.

A friend of mine and myself were open carrying firearms in the Kroger parking lot when one of your officerswas dispatchedto the scene for a "MWAG (Man With A Gun) call.Sadly, I am not sure as to the name of this officer thatwe encountered on that particular day. I would have happily mentioned the officer's name had I knew it.

I have had severalencounters in the pastwith other law enforcement officersfrom otheragencies that did not go as pleasant as this one. This particular officer was extremely polite, and quickly verified that what we were doing was in fact legal. It was obvious that this officerwas very knowledgeable about the laws pertaining to firearms in the state of Michigan.

On behalf of my friend and myself, we want tocommend this officer for handling this particularsituation appropriately, as well as to thank you and your department for properly educating your officers on the legality of open carry of a firearm in the state of Michigan,and other firearm laws. I hope that one day the rest of the cities in this fine state will handle all calls in the exact same manner that this particular officer did on that day. He is a fine example of how all officers should conduct themselves.

I enjoy spending my time and my money in this fine city due to the professionalism of its employee's, and look forward to returning often in the near future.

Thank you and your fellow officers for all of the hard work you do on a daily basis!

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX"
this is great T i would like to hear what they have to say if they respond, this is my regular grocery store i OC there all the time never had any problem there and like some one else said really shocks me since its Ann Arbor and we have so many sheeple around here

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This was last Summer. I believe I messaged you about it. This is the account I wrote down afterwards.

At about 4:30 in the afternoon, I was walking from my apartment to work, which is a trip from Thompson street to First street along Liberty, a journey of about 10 minutes. I had my M&P in a Crossbreed Supertuck, IWB, with the shirt tucked behind it, since that's really my only functioning rig at the moment. I did adjust the shirt a few times. Now, for my big stupid mistake, I didn't have a voice recorder. I only recently got a job, and affording one has been an issue. I didn't get many badge numbers either, it was hard to see them while cuffed and sitting on the sidewalk, let alone face down.

When I got to main street, I noticed some bike cops talking to some people, and figured that might be a bad sign. I was right. I made it another two blocks when I heard PUT YOUR HANDS UP! I turned around putting them on my head, and the two bike cops had guns drawn and told me to get on the ground. I was then cuffed and had my pistol removed, as well as my wallet and driver's license. They conferred for a few minutes, while additional cars arrived, as well as a motorcycle unit and a Command unit with a Sergeant. I asked them what the problem was, and they said they had gotten reports of people being able to see my gun, and and that I was "showing it". By this time I had been rolled over and was able to sit up. They then went into a tirade about "concealed meaning concealed" and how they've carried for 20 years without anyone seeing their gun, which seems strange. Were cops allowed to CC before everyone else? I asked Officer Martel (I think, badge number 054) what I was being charged with. At first he denied that it would be brandishing, and asked what I thought I was doing. I told him I didn't want to talk about it, figuring this should just play out normally, like any other encounter. He seemed to be a little annoyed, particularly since I was rather chipper throughout.

They talked amongst themselves for a bit, standing behind me for a while, and apparently tried to scare me, talking about assault with a deadly weapon. Around this time, the motorcycle trooper and the sergeant left. Another car rolled up, and they said that they were going to take me to the station to talk about it with the witnesses. It was at this point where I thought I should push back, since I really didn't feel like getting booked. So I asked them if they knew that open carry was legal. He got an odd look on his face, and walked behind me again. The command unit came back, while the car that was going to take me to the station waited. I knew that was probably a good sign, and while looking over my shoulder I could see the Sergeant (668, I think) taking the cuff key out, so I knew I was good. He uncuffed me, and talked to the others a bit more. The female officer who was waiting with the squad car said, "so you won't be needing me?" They didn't, so she left. The Sergeant gave me a lecture about tactical advantage, including Ted Nugent's take on OC. He also threw in a comment about how other people were scared of what I was doing, and that they had to "check it out". After that, he said ok, and left. Throughtout all this, I just went with the Smile-And-Nod tactic. I asked them if they'd heard of MOC, and the Sergeant had (I think it was the sergeant, might have been Martel). He even said that they had had a rally at the park (keeping a straight face was difficult at that point). The Sergeant left, and they let me stand up. The remaining bike officers (the original ones) asked me for a phone number, which I gave them, and asked me not to load up outdoors. I obliged, and they left.

Zukirider

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
This was last Summer. I believe I messaged you about it. This is the account I wrote down afterwards.

At about 4:30 in the afternoon, I was walking from my apartment to work, which is a trip from Thompson street to First street along Liberty, a journey of about 10 minutes. I had my M&P in a Crossbreed Supertuck, IWB, with the shirt tucked behind it, since that's really my only functioning rig at the moment. I did adjust the shirt a few times. Now, for my big stupid mistake, I didn't have a voice recorder. I only recently got a job, and affording one has been an issue. I didn't get many badge numbers either, it was hard to see them while cuffed and sitting on the sidewalk, let alone face down.

When I got to main street, I noticed some bike cops talking to some people, and figured that might be a bad sign. I was right. I made it another two blocks when I heard PUT YOUR HANDS UP! I turned around putting them on my head, and the two bike cops had guns drawn and told me to get on the ground. I was then cuffed and had my pistol removed, as well as my wallet and driver's license. They conferred for a few minutes, while additional cars arrived, as well as a motorcycle unit and a Command unit with a Sergeant. I asked them what the problem was, and they said they had gotten reports of people being able to see my gun, and and that I was "showing it". By this time I had been rolled over and was able to sit up. They then went into a tirade about "concealed meaning concealed" and how they've carried for 20 years without anyone seeing their gun, which seems strange. Were cops allowed to CC before everyone else? I asked Officer Martel (I think, badge number 054) what I was being charged with. At first he denied that it would be brandishing, and asked what I thought I was doing. I told him I didn't want to talk about it, figuring this should just play out normally, like any other encounter. He seemed to be a little annoyed, particularly since I was rather chipper throughout.

They talked amongst themselves for a bit, standing behind me for a while, and apparently tried to scare me, talking about assault with a deadly weapon. Around this time, the motorcycle trooper and the sergeant left. Another car rolled up, and they said that they were going to take me to the station to talk about it with the witnesses. It was at this point where I thought I should push back, since I really didn't feel like getting booked. So I asked them if they knew that open carry was legal. He got an odd look on his face, and walked behind me again. The command unit came back, while the car that was going to take me to the station waited. I knew that was probably a good sign, and while looking over my shoulder I could see the Sergeant (668, I think) taking the cuff key out, so I knew I was good. He uncuffed me, and talked to the others a bit more. The female officer who was waiting with the squad car said, "so you won't be needing me?" They didn't, so she left. The Sergeant gave me a lecture about tactical advantage, including Ted Nugent's take on OC. He also threw in a comment about how other people were scared of what I was doing, and that they had to "check it out". After that, he said ok, and left. Throughtout all this, I just went with the Smile-And-Nod tactic. I asked them if they'd heard of MOC, and the Sergeant had (I think it was the sergeant, might have been Martel). He even said that they had had a rally at the park (keeping a straight face was difficult at that point). The Sergeant left, and they let me stand up. The remaining bike officers (the original ones) asked me for a phone number, which I gave them, and asked me not to load up outdoors. I obliged, and they left.
PM sent