• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Vaults/Biometric Gun Vaults

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

ffemt1079

imported post

Nik- I have one of the multi standard models. No biometrics for me. It's ok. To set the combination you can have it so multiple fingers need to be pressed at the same time, adding to the number of possibilities. I've had mine for almost 5 years and still have yet to change the batteries. Need to make sure the key is easily accessable though in case the batteries die (otherwise you won't be able to open the safe).

Mine is opened a least twice a day, everyday. It's next to the bed within arms reach.

All in all I like it. It doesn't look for feel cheap like some of the other safes around the same size.

hunterjim

imported post

Yes, I have one and love it. I have the gvc1000dlx one shown for a glock. You can bolt it down if you want.It reads 3 of your fingerprints while you push down with one of your fingers.Its nice knowing I have a loaded gun ready that the grand kids cant get to.It opens fast and always works, a little noisey when the door pops open.A light comes on inside. Mine is plugged in, with the battery as backup. I will buy another for upnorth cabin just so I always have one of my loaded guns available.
I have a biometric door handle for the front door.......doesn't work most of the time and is crap..they should learn from the gun vault company.

M

McX

imported post

at home, now that the kids are getting older, i went with a hidden handgun- in the house, and i keep the magazine with me, isolated from the gun, but in a location i know, and where i can get to it quickly. an empty gun is as useless as a car without keys. saves me the expense of vaulting, and allows me quick access in time of need. plus the gun vaults can be swiped, and carried off easily.

Elysium

imported post

thanks for pointing these out. Probably be picking up a biometric model.I was wondering the best way to keep a child out and quick and easy access near the bed. Biometrics is good for something.

inbox485

Does anyone have one of these?

I'm pondering purchasing one for a gift for someone and wanted to get some reviews.

http://www.gunvault.com/

Specifically trying to decide if the biometric version is worth the extra money from the regular version

regular version:

http://www.gunvault.com/multi-multi-deluxe.html

biometric (fingerprint scan) version:

http://www.gunvault.com/multi-vault-biometric.html

Anyone have any hands-on experience with these products?

FYI on GunVault:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frG-SfTz5s

Description:

GunVaults are a brilliant design with a fatal flaw. If they are exposed to a static shock while plugged into an AC adapter they reset to the factory default combination. The first one I had not only reset, but opened itself and actually started smoking. I sent it back and they seemed to have fixed that issue. But three units in a row that I have had reset themselves if shocked and GunVault does not appear to be fixing this issue. I've waited a long time to see if they respond to the issue, I've sent repeated e-mails, and I've spoken to GunVault reps about the issue. I'm not generally the type to spread this sort of info, but I can't trust this product, and neither should anybody else. Until this issue is fixed and only if GunVault replaces the units I have will I consider doing business with this company again.

The step are simple. I demonstrate that the default passcode doesn't work, then I demonstrate the passcode it is set to. I shuffle my feet and touch the case giving it a shock (it was dry and windy at the time). Then I demonstrate that the passcode I set no longer works and the default passcode does. I then repeated it on a second unit so that it is clear that it isn't just this one unit with a problem.

The noise in the background are birds.

AdamXD

FYI

Harbor Freight started carrying the Gunvaults Single compartment non-biometric models. $97 last I saw.